I believe I can fly

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

I believe I can fly

Post by aussiebasser » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:23 am

Top to Bottom,
13wt TFO with a TFO
12wt Sage with a Tibor Gulfstream
10wt Reddington with a Talon
8wt Sage with a Sage
7wt Sage with a Sage
6wt Scott with a Sage
5wt G.Loomis IMX with a Loop CLR
4wt Scott with a Tibor Spring Creek
4wt G.Loomis IMX with a Fenwick.
Last edited by aussiebasser on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: I believe I can fly

Post by Teal101 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:52 am

Abel makes a sweet reel :mrgreen: You ever try Spey for big flies and distance? I imagine it would be awesome for bara.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:10 am

No I haven't tried Spey rods, however I don't think I'd like to try to control a big barra on a 13 foot rod. Most Barra guys use a shorter rod.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 am

aussiebasser wrote:No I haven't tried Spey rods, however I don't think I'd like to try to control a big barra on a 13 foot rod. Most Barra guys use a shorter rod.
Yeah it definitely has a disadvantage being so long. Some of the shorter switch rods may be better suited, although they are still 10-11ft. It sure is a fun way to fly cast though.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 am

I believed I could fly too. 4 fly rods and about $2000 later I learned I can basically just execute a controlled fall. :lol: :lol:
But I do love visiting a fly only lake here that is chocked full of 5-8lb bass. Lots of fun and very challenging since it's also barbless and from a kayak.

Beautiful combos.

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:00 pm

I'm glad I'm not into fly fishing otherwise I will be spending a lot more than right now lol.... Nice gear nonetheless =D>

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Great looking gear!

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Nice stuff, which ones for bream?

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:24 am

MondayMonkey wrote:I believed I could fly too. 4 fly rods and about $2000 later I learned I can basically just execute a controlled fall. :lol: :lol: Beautiful combos.
:lol: :lol:
I really want a Kayak...what do you have?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:26 am

TeamDaiwaRick wrote:I'm glad I'm not into fly fishing otherwise I will be spending a lot more than right now lol.... Nice gear nonetheless =D>
It's an expensive hobby thats for sure. Luckily the fly business is as bad as designer clothing and new models are always coming out so awesome deals can be found. I've got a Sage/Lamson Litespeed combo I have less than $300 in to which retail would net me over $700 :shock: It isn't uncommon to spend $900+ on a Spey rod alone. It's the only way to fish anadromous fish though! :mrgreen:

thaos95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by thaos95 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:44 am

Awesome collection!

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:09 am

Teal101 wrote:
TeamDaiwaRick wrote:I'm glad I'm not into fly fishing otherwise I will be spending a lot more than right now lol.... Nice gear nonetheless =D>
It's an expensive hobby thats for sure. Luckily the fly business is as bad as designer clothing and new models are always coming out so awesome deals can be found. I've got a Sage/Lamson Litespeed combo I have less than $300 in to which retail would net me over $700 :shock: It isn't uncommon to spend $900+ on a Spey rod alone. It's the only way to fish anadromous fish though! :mrgreen:
I'm going to get into it after I finish my MBA, and buy another boat.
The gear is expensive, but the cool thing about fly fishing is you can basically get by with a 5-6 weight for trout, and a 8 weight for steelies and saltwater...but like us I'm sure they tend to collect. But bassing definitely requires a lot of very specific tools...or at least we use that as an excuse to buy every thing we see :lol:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 am

trent_s wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
The gear is expensive, but the cool thing about fly fishing is you can basically get by with a 5-6 weight for trout, and a 8 weight for steelies and saltwater...but like us I'm sure they tend to collect. But bassing definitely requires a lot of very specific tools...or at least we use that as an excuse to buy every thing we see :lol:
Yeah the 8wt is fine until you get to no backcast, then it's time for Spey. Bigger rivers require a longer more powerful rod to fling bigger flies huge distances. Winter steel flies get bigger and heavier so you need more grain wt lines to throw them, etc etc etc. I've got a 5wt custom with a floating line, the 8wt sage with a Versitip, and a 7wt Echo Spey with three lines now ](*,)

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:56 am

Teal101 wrote:
trent_s wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Yeah the 8wt is fine until you get to no backcast, then it's time for Spey. Bigger rivers require a longer more powerful rod to fling bigger flies huge distances. Winter steel flies get bigger and heavier so you need more grain wt lines to throw them, etc etc etc. I've got a 5wt custom with a floating line, the 8wt sage with a Versitip, and a 7wt Echo Spey with three lines now ](*,)
As usual Teal...you've got good taste. How long is a spey rod? Is it anything over 10' or does have to be really long?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:06 am

trent_s wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
trent_s wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
As usual Teal...you've got good taste. How long is a spey rod? Is it anything over 10' or does have to be really long?
Most are 11' or longer. The shorter ones are lighter weights usually. Most average 13-14'. Mine is 13'. The switch rods tend to hang in that 10'-11' range more, but you wont get the same distance nor can you turn over big nasty flies on Skagit heads with T-14 sink tips as easily with them. :mrgreen: