The Ultima is here...

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The Ultima is here...

Post by the hooligan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:29 pm

I must say over the past few years i really ignored rods and spent alot of time buying, selling, and tuning reels. I figured 1st gen cumaras and cumulus were good enough and id play with reels instead. Getting that poison glorious earlier this month really opended my eyes up to whats available and what i was missing out on. Not that theres anything wrong with the cumara & cumulus, they'll always be some of my favorite rods.

Like i said in the 2015 weapon thread, im fishing light this year and rebuilding my heavier tackle. Ill most likely be needing two rods to pair with the new alde hg and a met xg. Looking at the zodias, expride, adrena, nrx, and new k2. Most likely a medium light to medium action for the alde, and a strong medium to lighter medium heavy for metanium. Ive had my eye on the 802c nrx, and 683 k2...

Id like to thank Japan lure shop, they packed the rod very well and worked with me on getting it shipped out quickly. Im going to u-40 cork seal the expride, wondering if i should do the glorious and ultima or leave them alone ?

The Ultima is everything i expected it to be. Absolutely beautiful. Balances so well and so light at 85grams. Every thread is wrapped perfectly, not one mark or scuff on the rod. This and the glorious are finest rods ive had my hands on.

It's been an expensive month... :o

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The Ultima is here...

Post by BigG » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Nice additions. =D> Ultima is beatiful

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:55 pm

Very nice, that bfs combo is as good as it can possibly get! The combined weight should be sonewhere around 7oz???

You will likely never come across a Jackall rod with any imperfections in craftsmanship... from my experience, they are the kings of QC with EG again a close second.

You should absolutely seal the cork on both Matt! Any reason why you are debating not doing it?

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:02 am

Georgous rods man, the reels are nice too. You got me thinking about JDM Shimano rods now ](*,) Got to stop before there is no turning back :lol:

Nice gear love the finesse casting equipment.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 am

Love2Grabbass wrote:Very nice, that bfs combo is as good as it can possibly get! The combined weight should be sonewhere around 7oz???

You will likely never come across a Jackall rod with any imperfections in craftsmanship... from my experience, they are the kings of QC with EG again a close second.

You should absolutely seal the cork on both Matt! Any reason why you are debating not doing it?
thanks guys, thanks bryan as well for the vast rod knowledge/customs info. Ill be sealing all three today, guess i was just a little hesitant, lol. Might as well seal it up while its new and not dirty yet. :D

Just spooled it up with 7lb sniper and testing baits in the yard. Looks like ill be throwing 1/16 keitech jigs with little spider trailers, 3 inch senkos, and 1/16oz flickshakes.

The expride will throw slightly heavier baits. Very similar FF rod action to the ultima. The glorious is regular fast, will throw pop-xs, sammy 65s, and small jerkbaits up to 1/4oz

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:34 am

That chameleon effect is sick!

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:22 am

the hooligan wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote:Very nice, that bfs combo is as good as it can possibly get! The combined weight should be sonewhere around 7oz???

thanks guys, thanks bryan as well for the vast rod knowledge/customs info. Ill be sealing all three today, guess i was just a little hesitant, lol. Might as well seal it up while its new and not dirty yet. :D

Just spooled it up with 7lb sniper and testing baits in the yard. Looks like ill be throwing 1/16 keitech jigs with little spider trailers, 3 inch senkos, and 1/16oz flickshakes.

The expride will throw slightly heavier baits. Very similar FF rod action to the ultima. The glorious is regular fast, will throw pop-xs, sammy 65s, and small jerkbaits up to 1/4oz
My pleasure! Yes sir, seal em up or you'll regret it later.

You got the small bait range covered.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:51 am

Im headed out the door right now for the Philadelphia fishing expo right now. Heres to hoping they have the new aldebaran at the shimano booth, the nrx 802, and the various adrenas/exprides. Want to find the perfect 3/8 - 1/2oz moving bait rod to pair with the alde hg, and 3/8-5'8 jig/t-rig rod for the met/met dc.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:13 am

the hooligan wrote:Im headed out the door right now for the Philadelphia fishing expo right now. Heres to hoping they have the new aldebaran at the shimano booth, the nrx 802, and the various adrenas/exprides. Want to find the perfect 3/8 - 1/2oz moving bait rod to pair with the alde hg, and 3/8-5'8 jig/t-rig rod for the met/met dc.
MB X4 Black Elseil might be a good choice. : )

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:23 am

Wow dude. Just wow. That is gorgeous.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:18 am

Congrats,that is one magic rod!

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:49 am

Creme of the crop :D

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:51 am

Sweet!!!
I think you died & went to JDM heaven.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:54 am

That is 1 bad ass rod!!

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:50 am

I think the Poison Ultima series are the best looking rods out there. Followed by the Poison Glorious series.