Next TDZ Project: 100M

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Next TDZ Project: 100M

Post by Demoman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:45 am

triple_illusion wrote:update: school is kickin my butt, and i continue to have paint problems, i can't get the last piece done without flaws….gonna buy a nice air compressor as soon as my tax return hits my account….
Do you think it's the compressor, or more the fact that you need a better air dryer, or a way to cool the air so it drops the moisture before leaving your paint gun? If I were you I'd be more inclined to look at a after tank air dryer, and place it as close to the end of the air line as possible near your gun. I'm not sure if your using a tiny hobby painting setup, or an automotive style vertical tank, but without being able to cool the air before the gun, and then run that cool air into a dryer of some sort your going to fight a losing battle. Soon as the air comes from the tank it's the hottest and as such hold the most moisture at that point. Running as much of hard metal line as you can will act as a radiator and cool it quickly which is what is required for any dryer to work effectively. Anyhow, I'm still following your thread, very cool man. Love your work.

I'm not sure how the hobby sprayers are setup, so I guess disregard all that if thats what your using.

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:35 am

triple_illusion wrote:update: school is kickin my butt, and i continue to have paint problems, i can't get the last piece done without flaws….gonna buy a nice air compressor as soon as my tax return hits my account….
I use a double moisture trap - might be overkill but it's what I use. I have one moisture trap at the compressor tank and then a 2nd inline moisture filter with a quick release to my iwata hose.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:33 am

I have the Iwata SAR airbrush and the additional moisture trap between the brush and the airline, which is also Iwata made. My air compressor is junk from harbor freight. However, I have managed success on the frame and left sideplate, see previous pics in this thread. So I know I have the recipe right, for the most part.

Flaws on the right sideplate meant multiple resanding efforts, and I suspect that may be part of the problem. Whenever I wetsand for the first time, I have great results. But after that, any more sanding seems to give me trouble. I currently use 600 grit. Also, I suspect air pressure may also be a factor. I am seeing a roughing/orange peel effect during spraying.

Anyhow, its all on hold until I can get a new air compressor with better control. I also threw away all my paint, because I have been putting the unsprayed paint back into the original container, which doesn't strike me as the worst thing possible but to eliminate variables I have decided against that practice from now on. Tax returns are on the way, I will have all things new soon, new compressor, new paint, and I am going to jump up to 1000 grit wetsand paper.

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:49 am

Hard to say for sure without seeing it but it sounds a lot like your problem is probably your compressor. If it isn't keeping consistent pressure the orange peel could be from pressure that is too low and isn't atomizing the paint properly. If the paint hasn't been sprayed keeping extra paint from the cup shouldn't be an issue - solvents shouldn't evaporate until it is sprayed through the gun.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 am

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:42 am

Looks like a pressure issue, PM sent

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:37 am

...this should be done next week...

Crankinking
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Crankinking » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:15 am

Great Reel. Love mine.

Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rarebreed » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:49 pm

Try reducing the paint more, or using a hotter reducer to make it "flow" out better. Aim for minimal film build.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:07 pm

closer. weather prevented clear.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:33 am

cleared and drying...

Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rarebreed » Sun May 01, 2016 4:27 am

Looking good man. How do you get your anti Reverse bearing out?

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Mon May 02, 2016 1:31 am

Rarebreed wrote:Looking good man. How do you get your anti Reverse bearing out?
I use the socket wrench extension and a an 8mm socket to gently tap it out. Just find a socket that is a snug fit, and you should be good to go.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:01 am

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:47 am

triple_illusion wrote:Image
Nice! What spool? :mrgreen: