Did I score?

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Did I score?

Post by uljersey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:37 am

I've been looking for a rod to pair up with my new Daiwa Alphas SV105 and had decided on a Major Craft Volkey. I decided on the 7' Big Lake Custom Series ML. In my search for a place to buy it from I stumbled on Amazon of all places :?

$130 shipped from Japan ... Sounds almost too good to be true but I have the order confirmation on my email. The price on Major Craft's site was 18,800 yen, which is roughly $156 US dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FS ... ge_o00_s00

That's about $100 cheaper than any other place I had found. This is my first time buying a JDM rod from Japan, I have no clue what happened. Maybe Amazon goofed, I don't know. I can't wait :big grin:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Did I score?

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Let us know how it fishes!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:46 am

It was waiting for me when I got home from work. 7 days from order to arrival, I'm impressed. The packaging had me a bit uneasy, it's a long way from Japan to New Jersey in a flimsy cardboard mailer, but it survived. I'm blown away by the overall quality and workmanship. We'll see how it does come Sunday ...

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:13 am

Nice! 8-)

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:09 am

Is that a one piece too?

I would've shat my pants seeing a rod come in a box like that. I'd say you got pretty lucky on the find and shipping!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:26 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:Is that a one piece too?

I would've shat my pants seeing a rod come in a box like that. I'd say you got pretty lucky on the find and shipping!

I guess technically no, it's a two piece, but the joint is not mid blank as most two piece rods are. The blank is one piece and is inserted into the handle -

It is a VERY precise fit. If you look closely at the blank in the photo you'll see there is about 3" of dull (unfinished) blank. That's what gets inserted into the handle. I treated the ferrule joint with Ferrule Lube - http://u-40.com/ferrulelube.html but it's very unlikely I'll ever disassemble it. You have to eyeball the imaginary center line when assembling the rod ... my first attempt was just a tad off of being spot on. It took a bit of umphhh to separate the joint and tweak it to where I was satisfied with it, but it can be done. I have zero concerns about this joint ever failing. Having not fished it yet (Sunday will be it's first time) I can't say anything about sensitivity, but I don't think it will be an issue.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:55 am

Score indeed, nice rod, it's amazing how nice the volkeys are for the money. Those cardboard boxes scare me also.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:06 am

Nice score! :big grin:

jcool3
Angler
Angler

Post by jcool3 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 am

who was the shipping company? does label show where it was shipped from>?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:43 am

jcool3 wrote:who was the shipping company? does label show where it was shipped from>?
The Amazon seller was Mountain Ridge Factory Japan - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UT ... &sshmPath=

The shipping label shows it was shipped from Saitama, Japan. Shipping was UPS Expedited.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:51 am

Yeah, I had a rod shipped to me once in similar fashion. I did not have the same results however. The fears are well founded.

jcool3
Angler
Angler

Post by jcool3 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:21 pm

uljersey wrote:
jcool3 wrote:who was the shipping company? does label show where it was shipped from>?
The Amazon seller was Mountain Ridge Factory Japan - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UT ... &sshmPath=

The shipping label shows it was shipped from Saitama, Japan. Shipping was UPS Expedited.
Looking at Amazon, there are a number of Japanese companies selling at Amazon, and shipping from Japan. There are
many Major Craft rods for sale along with other brands. They have padded their regular price with additional $30-40, so
they can offer Free Shipping. Still it seems to be a good deal.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:48 am

Damn im about to hit up amazon right now LOL..

Nice score!!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:05 am

Ok, for reasons unknown to me, my above link to the original seller takes you another seller on Amazon, who is actually around $8.00 cheaper. I manually searched for the rod I bought under the original seller's storefront and it appears they're out. Maybe Amazon's search engine automatically gives you other options, I don't know. Just wanted to clarify that in case there was any confusion.

jcool3
Angler
Angler

Post by jcool3 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:27 am

romans wrote:Yeah, I had a rod shipped to me once in similar fashion. I did not have the same results however. The fears are well founded.
was that also thru amazon? did you have to ship the rod back? Many of those companies selling Major Craft also sell
everything under the sun ... one wonders whether they know how to pack a fishing rod for shipping.