TD-Z Owners Guild

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TD-Z Owners Guild

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:21 am

Just rejoined the Guild. Still have the Fuego, but found a TDZ 103H and a TDZ Type R, both mint, and they are now in my possession. :evil:
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:57 am

Got the parts in for the 103H yesterday from Tackle Trap. Installed a carbontex drag, Steez drag star, swept handle, and HawgTech spool bearings. This thing is really clean, nice, and smooth. Wish I could post pictures here, but I'm technically declined with computer stuff. Lol. If anyone wants to lend me a hand, I could text them.
<")))><{

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Some say history repeats itself, I just don't see nothing on the market that has caught my eye other than the Bantam MGL..
That being said Ive gotten me 2 TD-Z's Type R+ on the way and I've looked through this thread to find some ideas because i want to go in a different direction. Everyone's artistic vision is different and since I loved the zpi-M spool in my IS73 i was thinking of going through the Trap and getting another but as my luck would have it, they've ran out. Im not sure about the PG spool but If you have one in a TD-Z TR+ please let me know how you like it.. I thing it would be great to find a new in box blue emblem spool for one of the reels but, I've run out on phish funds for now.. However if you have a BE in one please tell me how you think it does or doesn't if if sucks.

I've not really seen people change the red drag star out and although i favor the long Zillion type R there isnt many floating around that are red to kept the theme going strong. But I am also concerned about weight I dont want to increase weight for the sake of ascetics. To be honest with you all, I normally have a purpose in mind and build around that but this time i dont. I simply woke up one day and said I wanted a TDZ TR+

has anyone changed out the worm gear and went with a different one like a pixy? I think a pixy wg will drop in but what does it give you over the sock one? I'd like to have one for texas rigs and barring the 1012 SLP works spool i just got I am not sure what other spool can complete with it. I certainly do not want a SV spool in it, I am SV'd OUT.
I have a couple of carbon fiber handles and may swap one out but at the very least i'll swap out the knobs. Correct me if i am wrong but the stock handle comes with bearings and I haven't got to buy them..

I am going to upgrade the drag on them both but I think one will be for jerkbaits if i can get just the right spool for it.

What are your thoughts ??
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 am

goldrod wrote:Some say history repeats itself, I just don't see nothing on the market that has caught my eye other than the Bantam MGL..
That being said Ive gotten me 2 TD-Z's Type R+ on the way and I've looked through this thread to find some ideas because i want to go in a different direction. Everyone's artistic vision is different and since I loved the zpi-M spool in my IS73 i was thinking of going through the Trap and getting another but as my luck would have it, they've ran out. Im not sure about the PG spool but If you have one in a TD-Z TR+ please let me know how you like it.. I thing it would be great to find a new in box blue emblem spool for one of the reels but, I've run out on phish funds for now.. However if you have a BE in one please tell me how you think it does or doesn't if if sucks.

I've not really seen people change the red drag star out and although i favor the long Zillion type R there isnt many floating around that are red to kept the theme going strong. But I am also concerned about weight I dont want to increase weight for the sake of ascetics. To be honest with you all, I normally have a purpose in mind and build around that but this time i dont. I simply woke up one day and said I wanted a TDZ TR+

has anyone changed out the worm gear and went with a different one like a pixy? I think a pixy wg will drop in but what does it give you over the sock one? I'd like to have one for texas rigs and barring the 1012 SLP works spool i just got I am not sure what other spool can complete with it. I certainly do not want a SV spool in it, I am SV'd OUT.
I have a couple of carbon fiber handles and may swap one out but at the very least i'll swap out the knobs. Correct me if i am wrong but the stock handle comes with bearings and I haven't got to buy them..

I am going to upgrade the drag on them both but I think one will be for jerkbaits if i can get just the right spool for it.

Its funny because I did the same thing you did a bit ago. I finally had enough, and decided it was time to dip into the TDZ. Being a big lover of the TD Zillion reels, I wanted to play a bit. . Managed to grab a few mint TDZ 103H reels, and a mint Type R. I just couldnt bring myself to use the Type R, so its in the display case. The 103H got a full teardown, spool bearings, levelwind bearing, and carbontex drag. I decided to keep it low key with a PX-R drag star, and a gunmetal swept handle off another Daiwa, I think was an Advantage handle. I liked the color, and that it says "swept handle" on it. I put a red nut retainer and cast control cap on it. These red accents give a littke hint to the fact that the Type R spool is inside of this reel. Enjoy the reel, because they are very light and fun to fish with.
<")))><{

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:27 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
goldrod wrote:Some say history repeats itself, I just don't see nothing on the market that has caught my eye other than the Bantam MGL..

Its funny because I did the same thing you did a bit ago. I finally had enough, and decided it was time to dip into the TDZ. Being a big lover of the TD Zillion reels, I wanted to play a bit. . Managed to grab a few mint TDZ 103H reels, and a mint Type R. I just couldnt bring myself to use the Type R, so its in the display case. The 103H got a full teardown, spool bearings, levelwind bearing, and carbontex drag. I decided to keep it low key with a PX-R drag star, and a gunmetal swept handle off another Daiwa, I think was an Advantage handle. I liked the color, and that it says "swept handle" on it. I put a red nut retainer and cast control cap on it. These red accents give a littke hint to the fact that the Type R spool is inside of this reel. Enjoy the reel, because they are very light and fun to fish with.
After talking with Pikeroadbassin
I’ve decided one will get the PG spool and the other the M.
That’s a start for now. I always have a end goal in mind on the purpose of the reel
For now one is Texas rigs and the other topwater.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:07 am

goldrod wrote: After talking with Pikeroadbassin
I’ve decided one will get the PG spool and the other the M.
That’s a start for now. I always have a end goal in mind on the purpose of the reel
For now one is Texas rigs and the other topwater.
I have a TD-Z with a PG spool in it and really really like it. The reel lives on a mbr783 GLX and it's perfect in terms of size and balance. The odd thing is that the brake dial does not seem to have much effect on the casting, but the distance and control is excellent across every lure I have tried on it. I suppose I should send it in for a check-up, but it works so well "broken" that I have not gotten around to it.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Been testing the BE vs AOI spool. AOI spool is fast and has great distance. Sub 1/2 oz total weight is where the BE starts to pull away from the AOI spool. Tossing a 3/8oz total lure on the AOI/BE setup with a F4 rod 12lb lines is really nice. Very controlled and distance was very good. BE has YT Fusion bearing and polished by Ian.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:28 am

The BE spools are coveted and hard to find
I let one NIB slip through my hands on a comms issue with the seller
I think I’ve found one in Japan at a reasonable price. I wanted one for a Steez Ltd.
but now I have a 1012 in it I’m just trying to build my type R TDZ up

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:55 am

Two rare gems there. Spool looks awesome in the a.o.i

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Got one of the Type R+ in the mail today
I was leaving out of the driveway when the mail lady who was three doors down ( no pun intended) flagged me down..
Listening to Metallica she jumped out the truck and told me she had me a package. Probably the best day of my life when i comes to postal service. But when I got the reel out and put it on a rod.. I noticed that it was far lighter in weight than I had imagined..
This is stock and its so light that I have to reconsider what I am going to do with it it.. I guess i will wait til the next one comes in and both my ZPI spools..

For anyone looking to get one, I have to admit, it's light.. maybe too light?

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:47 pm

My newest TDZ getting ready for paint. Sorry, painting services are not for sale.

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:54 pm

I got this in the mail today and I love it. I only wish It had higher speed gearing and it’d probably be my favorite reel. Picked it up from eBay $72.50 and it came with the Megabass knobs.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:08 pm

TK_duluthbass wrote:I got this in the mail today and I love it. I only wish It had higher speed gearing and it’d probably be my favorite reel. Picked it up from eBay $72.50 and it came with the Megabass knobs.

I've always loved that reel.. but I'm a righty.. superb catch for that price

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:27 pm

The reel was like $120, so about the same as the ZPI PG spool I picked up for it. Ordered some dressup parts at the same time because why not. I really want to send it to a tuner but I don't want to part with it now that it's warming up.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 am

Beautiful combo! I have a dressed up TDZ 100m with light blue parts on a new style GLX and it is a perfect match.