Aldebaran+Cumulus=Light as a Feather!

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Aldebaran+Cumulus=Light as a Feather!

Post by skunked » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:08 pm

I've had my Cumulus 6'5" for several years and today I received my Aldebaran 51 from Japan! The reel is used, but in excellent condition and priced at $260. I know it was a gamble and I could've got a new one for about $50 more, but I was already stretching my budget due to my recent Tatula CT and NRX purchases.
Cumulus 2.64 oz
Aldebaran 4.7 oz
TOTAL Weight of 7.34 oz!!
Looking forward to catching some Hawaiian peacock bass on 6 lb. line!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Aldebaran+Cumulus=Light as a Feather!

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:32 pm

That's got to be the lightest combo yet! I wish they would refresh the cumulus and bring it back!

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Yeah, I think people weren't ready to pay such a premium for a Shimano branded rod, especially since it was all business and no bling factor. It's like the hyundai genesis sedan which is every bit as good as some european models which cost more, but no one is buying the hyundai.
My 1st gen Shimano Cumara 6'8" MH is also an awesome rod, but probably sold way less than the IMX rods from Loomis.
One thing making me nervous about breaking down the reel is that there are a few TINY screws that help secure the sideplate. Why did they do that? GRRR!!!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:54 pm

I have the 6'10 casting model and it is also light at 3 ounces. It would be nice to see Shimano bring them back. Imagine what they would weigh without the larger Fuji guides they used on them.

Enjoy the ultimate "weight weenie" combo! :D

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:20 pm

skunked wrote:One thing making me nervous about breaking down the reel is that there are a few TINY screws that help secure the sideplate. Why did they do that? GRRR!!!
Hate those screws! :evil:

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:12 am

skunked wrote:I've had my Cumulus 6'5" for several years and today I received my Aldebaran 51 from Japan! The reel is used, but in excellent condition and priced at $260. I know it was a gamble and I could've got a new one for about $50 more, but I was already stretching my budget due to my recent Tatula CT and NRX purchases.
Cumulus 2.64 oz
Aldebaran 4.7 oz
TOTAL Weight of 7.34 oz!!
Looking forward to catching some Hawaiian peacock bass on 6 lb. line!
Awesome, dude!