Steez SV TW 1016SH

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Rusty McFot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Steez SV TW 1016SH

Post by Rusty McFot » Thu May 19, 2016 7:54 pm

WOW. That's fantastic.

It could be the reel that sways me to the T-Wing...

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu May 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks for the post and pics, this reel is definitely a looker....the urge is real now!

Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rarebreed » Fri May 20, 2016 2:30 am

Wow, first I was like Nah... Then I see your pics and I was like, OH YEAH! It looks awesome. Flip/flop paint coming soon? :-k

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Fri May 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Awesome pics....thank you.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:52 pm

pharmboy2010 wrote:Perfect! Thanks!
Just an FYI, my Orange ZPI Steez spool won't fit in my new Zillion TWS SV. It is possible the same will be the case for the new Steez. It seems like the inductor rubs the magnet assembly somehow. Steez 105 spools should be fine I would think.

DaveJ

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
pharmboy2010 wrote:Perfect! Thanks!
Just an FYI, my Orange ZPI Steez spool won't fit in my new Zillion TWS SV. It is possible the same will be the case for the new Steez. It seems like the inductor rubs the magnet assembly somehow. Steez 105 spools should be fine I would think.

DaveJ
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered one last night, so we'll see. Fingers crossed. [-o<

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:21 am

It's glorious! Man, I'm going to need to start saving money. So much gear I want, so little coin :crying:

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat May 21, 2016 9:14 am

Wowza! That is one sweet reel! Dear Santa...

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sat May 21, 2016 9:53 am

Jeez, just looks so good!

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Sun May 22, 2016 2:02 am

Early update:

I only have a few hours on the water with it so far but the frame shape is my favourite feature of the new Steez SV TW so far. Insanely comfortable to me. Like a TDZ but improved. Knobs are also very grippy and comfortable. Very controlled casting reel as well. I tried very hard to push it and backlash it - 20 settings on the brake dial is new to me - only got backlash at brake setting of 0 with a loosened cast control cap.

I'm also getting use to the cast control cap. I still really don't get the "zero adjustment' mentioned in the Daiwa material. Wondering if something is lost in translation….? It only blew up with backlash when I loosened it. But it's definitely not zero adjustment. I went from a custom made mouse wake bait I made at 0.6oz to a very small Lucky Craft fat BDS 1 at 0.2oz and you definitely need to adjust to let the lighter bait fall. Lighter baits won't drop with the factory setting "zero play" position. It handled the lighter bait well though. Distance is also very good.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Sun May 22, 2016 9:51 pm

rugbyfisherman wrote:Early update:

I only have a few hours on the water with it so far but the frame shape is my favourite feature of the new Steez SV TW so far. Insanely comfortable to me. Like a TDZ but improved. Knobs are also very grippy and comfortable. Very controlled casting reel as well. I tried very hard to push it and backlash it - 20 settings on the brake dial is new to me - only got backlash at brake setting of 0 with a loosened cast control cap.

I'm also getting use to the cast control cap. I still really don't get the "zero adjustment' mentioned in the Daiwa material. Wondering if something is lost in translation….? It only blew up with backlash when I loosened it. But it's definitely not zero adjustment. I went from a custom made mouse wake bait I made at 0.6oz to a very small Lucky Craft fat BDS 1 at 0.2oz and you definitely need to adjust to let the lighter bait fall. Lighter baits won't drop with the factory setting "zero play" position. It handled the lighter bait well though. Distance is also very good.
You sir have caused me to spend future funds for a left lol
Thanks for the review!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed May 25, 2016 3:44 am

That's a great looking reel! Do you know how it compares in size to the new zillion?
Also, how does the retrieve feel compared to the previous steez? In the video Daiwa said this steez gears are made of G1 aluminum, a first for any Daiwa reel. Wondering if there's a discernible difference in the way they feel vs previous aluminum (or brass) gears.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:39 am

I can confirm that an ito spool drops right in the new Steez...don't even have to change bearings. I assume any Steez/TD-Z spool will fit the new Steez, except possible ZPIs. I have had similar random issues with ZPI spool like Dave noted. For some reason, on certain reels it seems like the inductor rubs. I've even put them in on TD-Z variant (AOI) and it rubbed and then put the same exact spool in a Type R+ and was much better....go figure.

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Thu May 26, 2016 12:05 am

spookybaits wrote:That's a great looking reel! Do you know how it compares in size to the new zillion?
Also, how does the retrieve feel compared to the previous steez? In the video Daiwa said this steez gears are made of G1 aluminum, a first for any Daiwa reel. Wondering if there's a discernible difference in the way they feel vs previous aluminum (or brass) gears.
I can't compare it to the new Zillion unfortunately - I haven't held a new Zillion. There is a decent amount of plastic inside the new Steez but the G1 main drive gear and retrieve itself feel very very good to me. Not as refined as say a Daiwa J-Dream but close. The Steez SV TW G1 main gear has micro teeth (similar to the J-Dream and Shimano Stella) - the new Steez SV TW feels more smooth and connected (for lack of a better term) than my older tuned Steezes, ito 103m, R+'s with brass or aluminum gears. It's a distinctly less geary feel on the new Steez SV TW than many of my other reels.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:46 am

You're spending a lot of peoples money with this thread :lol: =D>

Thanks for the info!