BFS Fantasies do come true...

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Rusty McFot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: BFS Fantasies do come true...

Post by Rusty McFot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 pm

I can stomach the price tag. Not too sure the wife feels the same way.

If I sell a few Steez's I can easily get one... Too bad the exchange rate sucks for Australians at the moment.

I thought my Shading X and Super Criffhangers were the bees knees. That's why I have a second Shading X on its way from Japan as we speak.

I do worry the Kirisame handles are a bit too narrow. The X7s are very small to my hands when not palming. Do you have any issues with it being so thin?

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:07 am

Teal101 wrote:That rod is on my wishlist for my BFS setups. Stunning! I bet that 4.5 was a blast on it! =D>
It's a good stick and yeah, the 4.5 felt like a double digit on this stick... But if you make a video fishing with it, you'll have to put classical music or Disney music in the background ;)
Rusty McFot wrote:I can stomach the price tag. Not too sure the wife feels the same way.

If I sell a few Steez's I can easily get one... Too bad the exchange rate sucks for Australians at the moment.

I thought my Shading X and Super Criffhangers were the bees knees. That's why I have a second Shading X on its way from Japan as we speak.

I do worry the Kirisame handles are a bit too narrow. The X7s are very small to my hands when not palming. Do you have any issues with it being so thin?
Hmmm... Good question. Didn't really occur to me, but I do hold the BFS rods like a fairy holding a wand. No issues palming with the Shimano BFS XG '16 on it. Happy to put it side-by-side with a Criffhanger if helpful for you (can take a picture and upload it this weekend).

I have heard great things about the Shading X. Out of curiosity, what do you use it for? I'm intrigued by the moderate-fast taper. :-k

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Pen3 wrote:That's why you get a KTF spool for the BFS XG, more ease of cast and control. I never really liked any of the stock Shimano BFS spools and all 6 of my Shimano reels have either a KTF or ZPI spool in them.
How much better is it than the stock spool? I have one mounted on my Phenix Mirage UL and I can cast 1g (1/32oz) lures, not very far but good enough. I feel the rod is the limiting factor. The stock spool is pretty nice already, can't imagine it gets better.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:51 pm

ccass wrote:
Pen3 wrote:That's why you get a KTF spool for the BFS XG, more ease of cast and control. I never really liked any of the stock Shimano BFS spools and all 6 of my Shimano reels have either a KTF or ZPI spool in them.
How much better is it than the stock spool? I have one mounted on my Phenix Mirage UL and I can cast 1g (1/32oz) lures, not very far but good enough. I feel the rod is the limiting factor. The stock spool is pretty nice already, can't imagine it gets better.
I agree, the LTX BF8 has a 1 gram lighter spool and I can't see and difference in performance between it and the BFS XG

Rusty McFot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rusty McFot » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:10 pm

saoulons wrote: Hmmm... Good question. Didn't really occur to me, but I do hold the BFS rods like a fairy holding a wand. No issues palming with the Shimano BFS XG '16 on it. Happy to put it side-by-side with a Criffhanger if helpful for you (can take a picture and

I have heard great things about the Shading X. Out of curiosity, what do you use it for? I'm intrigued by the moderate-fast taper. :-k
That would be awesome if you could do a side by side photo.

I use my Shading X for small cranks like Baby Griffons, Jackall Chubbys and Atomic crank 38s, also minnow type lures and even Jackall TN50s.

It could probably be used for all kinds of other things, I've just neve tried haha.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:53 pm

Rusty McFot wrote:
saoulons wrote: Hmmm... Good question. Didn't really occur to me, but I do hold the BFS rods like a fairy holding a wand. No issues palming with the Shimano BFS XG '16 on it. Happy to put it side-by-side with a Criffhanger if helpful for you (can take a picture and

I use my Shading X for small cranks like Baby Griffons, Jackall Chubbys and Atomic crank 38s, also minnow type lures and even Jackall TN50s.

It could probably be used for all kinds of other things, I've just neve tried haha.
Great! Good to know about the Shading X, thanks. I've been using the Phase III Griffon for small cranks and it is a tick too stiff for the mini cranks like the Baby Griffon. If I make it up to the cabin this weekend (this is the current plan but always subject to change based on how tired my wife is... :sick: ), will definitely take a pic and post it on here (if I can figure out how, may have to ask Teal to do it :shock: ).

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:52 am

saoulons wrote:
Rusty McFot wrote:

Great! Good to know about the Shading X, thanks. I've been using the Phase III Griffon for small cranks and it is a tick too stiff for the mini cranks like the Baby Griffon. If I make it up to the cabin this weekend (this is the current plan but always subject to change based on how tired my wife is... :sick: ), will definitely take a pic and post it on here (if I can figure out how, may have to ask Teal to do it :shock: ).
Just FYI, I have both the PIII Griffon and the X7 Shading X. I find the shading X more stiff than the griffon. If you don't like the griffon for small cranks I doubt the shading X will impress you. I am planning to use the shading X for finesse jigs for the rest of the season. I picked up an Evo Expada to try for cranks 1/4 and less and will see how it goes.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:16 am

Farnorth wrote:
saoulons wrote:
Rusty McFot wrote:

Just FYI, I have both the PIII Griffon and the X7 Shading X. I find the shading X more stiff than the griffon. If you don't like the griffon for small cranks I doubt the shading X will impress you. I am planning to use the shading X for finesse jigs for the rest of the season. I picked up an Evo Expada to try for cranks 1/4 and less and will see how it goes.
Thanks for the info. I'm being REALLY picky here. The P3 Griffon is awesome and is very good for 1/3 oz (old griffon 6cc) and more than adequate for 1/4 oz (new griffon). I find it a bit stiff when casting the baby griffon (which is a little under 1/8 oz) and I find myself whacking the cast a lot more to get good distance (could very well be my technique, and to be fair, the rod is rated for a low end of 3/16 oz :shock:). I was curious about the Shading X. I will actually try the baby griffon on the Kirisame F2 and see what that looks like. :laugh1: Who knows, with such a small crank, I might catch a 1/2 oz Pumpkinseed or Yellow Perch :lol:

Definitely let us know how the Expada works out for you.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Build on the Phenix Mirage blanks if you want a BFS cranking rod. I use mine with Gliss and I keep them pinned. I'm using the Rapala UL shad and minnow, CD-1, Panther Martins, micro jigs...pretty much everything.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:58 pm

ccass wrote:Build on the Phenix Mirage blanks if you want a BFS cranking rod. I use mine with Gliss and I keep them pinned. I'm using the Rapala UL shad and minnow, CD-1, Panther Martins, micro jigs...pretty much everything.
Very nice, thanks Cody. I'll look into that if I can get a 6'6" rod for that purpose. The Kirisame is fantastic, just wish it was 3" longer. I was able to cast a Baby Griffon (~1/8 oz) about 40 feet, which is not too bad.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:13 pm

Rusty McFot wrote:

Hello my friend Rusty from the Commonwealth (I am Canadian). Hope that you are recovering nicely from the Brexit.

See below pictures for side by side between the F2 Kirisame (on the left) and the X7 Super Criffhanger (on the right). The Kirisame blank is a lot slimmer, but hard to tell from the picture. The width of the reel seat and cork handle is very similar, with the Kirisame being slightly thicker as the thickest point. But the shape is different.

I fished the Kirisame with moving baits (especially the baby griffon). It does very well with 1/4 oz cranks and did just fine with the baby griffon (~1/8 oz). I was able to cast it about 40 feet, which is not terrible. And the taper of the rod is great for moving baits. Just have to slow down when fishing with that BFS XG. The rod is absolutely fantastic. My only wish is that it was 3" longer to make longer casts. 8-)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 am

saoulons wrote:
ccass wrote:Build on the Phenix Mirage blanks if you want a BFS cranking rod. I use mine with Gliss and I keep them pinned. I'm using the Rapala UL shad and minnow, CD-1, Panther Martins, micro jigs...pretty much everything.
Very nice, thanks Cody. I'll look into that if I can get a 6'6" rod for that purpose. The Kirisame is fantastic, just wish it was 3" longer. I was able to cast a Baby Griffon (~1/8 oz) about 40 feet, which is not too bad.
You will be able to cast farther then 40 feet with the Mirage. It loads 1/8oz real good. I usually do a little roll cast and the rod does the rest of the work. My buddy has a GoPro. Ill see if he can video me casting a variety of lures and maybe some action shots with fish hooked up.

My biggest fish was a late-fall 28 in pike. I have a video of that somewhere. Only half of the battle though, didn't start recording until the last half of the battle.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:54 am

ccass wrote:
saoulons wrote:
You will be able to cast farther then 40 feet with the Mirage. It loads 1/8oz real good. I usually do a little roll cast and the rod does the rest of the work. My buddy has a GoPro. Ill see if he can video me casting a variety of lures and maybe some action shots with fish hooked up.

My biggest fish was a late-fall 28 in pike. I have a video of that somewhere. Only half of the battle though, didn't start recording until the last half of the battle.
Would be awesome if you could post a video, thanks. I am definitely interested in custom rod building so would like to pick your brain on the build out, but let's go one step at a time ;)

Rusty McFot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rusty McFot » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:42 am

saoulons wrote: Hello my friend Rusty from the Commonwealth (I am Canadian). Hope that you are recovering nicely from the Brexit.

See below pictures for side by side between the F2 Kirisame (on the left) and the X7 Super Criffhanger (on the right). The Kirisame blank is a lot slimmer, but hard to tell from the picture. The width of the reel seat and cork handle is very similar, with the Kirisame being slightly thicker as the thickest point. But the shape is different.

I fished the Kirisame with moving baits (especially the baby griffon). It does very well with 1/4 oz cranks and did just fine with the baby griffon (~1/8 oz). I was able to cast it about 40 feet, which is not terrible. And the taper of the rod is great for moving baits. Just have to slow down when fishing with that BFS XG. The rod is absolutely fantastic. My only wish is that it was 3" longer to make longer casts. 8-)
Why hello fellow peasant of Lizzie!

I wonder how the Brexit is going to affect the rest of the Commonwealth. Can't imagine it would be too big a change, for us anyway. I was watching the count on a website at work. It was so close!

Thanks so much for those photos. I'm surprised how big the handle of the kirisame is. I imagined it to be significantly smaller. Baby Griffons are 3/16, but glad to hear they cast well.

If the Aussie Dollerydoo was better compared to the Yen I would get one straight away. I think it would end up costing about $800 by the time I got it here.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:35 pm

Rusty McFot wrote: Why hello fellow peasant of Lizzie!

I wonder how the Brexit is going to affect the rest of the Commonwealth. Can't imagine it would be too big a change, for us anyway. I was watching the count on a website at work. It was so close!

Thanks so much for those photos. I'm surprised how big the handle of the kirisame is. I imagined it to be significantly smaller. Baby Griffons are 3/16, but glad to hear they cast well.

If the Aussie Dollerydoo was better compared to the Yen I would get one straight away. I think it would end up costing about $800 by the time I got it here.
Yikes, expensive stuff... And thanks for the correction on the baby griffon, you're totally right, it is 3/16. It is a bit disappointing as I thought I was getting that distance with 1/8. Will have to try again and a little harder this coming weekend (which is a holiday weekend in the US).

To be continued!!