Bass Fishing Bycatches

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bass Fishing Bycatches

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:26 am

I catch one or two of these most years around this time; sometimes a treble hook faul catch. But, this year, I've caught an absolute rash of these and they're hitting my baits. Maybe it's because I'm one of the last people on the planet to finally jump on the vibrating jig bandwagon. This year I've finally put it into regular rotation. But, I've also caught them on a swimbait and jerkbait this year. As you can see, in the mouth. Maybe nest guarding?
Attachments
IMG_6416.jpg
IMG_6416.jpg (128.57 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
IMG_6055.jpg
IMG_6055.jpg (147.46 KiB) Viewed 9161 times

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:26 am
I catch one or two of these most years around this time; sometimes a treble hook faul catch. But, this year, I've caught an absolute rash of these and they're hitting my baits. Maybe it's because I'm one of the last people on the planet to finally jump on the vibrating jig bandwagon. This year I've finally put it into regular rotation. But, I've also caught them on a swimbait and jerkbait this year. As you can see, in the mouth. Maybe nest guarding?
Keep throwing it. You will catch everything that swims on it.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:21 pm

Oh yeah; it’s a staple now. I did not realize how different it is from the other variations of moving baits I throw. At times, it will ignite bites other baits just won’t. Nice little nuance. And the hookup ratio; my word. Should be banned in tx’s ha ha.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:33 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:21 pm
Oh yeah; it’s a staple now. I did not realize how different it is from the other variations of moving baits I throw. At times, it will ignite bites other baits just won’t. Nice little nuance. And the hookup ratio; my word. Should be banned in tx’s ha ha.
I really need to start throwing those this year.

Sorry to derail the thread here, but do you find trailer hooks a necessity with bladed jigs?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 am

It’s a little backwards for me :lol: Fishing for redfish and catching bass side by side. Very normal though, and I’ll take anything that wants to bite my Break Blade, which he included bass, redfish, speckled trout, flounder, pickerel and Sriper. Caught this bass 10’ away from the redfish in some scattered milfoil.

And every now and then hook into something that’s bigger than any fish around here :-s

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:40 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:33 am
Polkfish1 wrote:

Sorry to derail the thread here, but do you find trailer hooks a necessity with bladed jigs?
Never needed one. Fish choke a bladed jig. Toughest part is trying to catch up to a big fish after the bite :whistle:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:44 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:59 am
These are my 2 strangest bonus fish.

This came on a ned rig. The little Volkey 682L handled it like a champ.
This guy t boned a flapping hog on a shakey head as I brought it out from under a dock and to the boat for another cast. That was fun fight right beside the boat. I thought my rod was going to break. It was one of those walmart exclusive daiwa jupiter rods with a last gen bps pro qualifier.
Those Jupiter rods are pretty decent. My 7ft MH weighs like 3.5oz and has a pretty decent taper for spinnerbaits and such.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:47 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:40 am
Gone Phishin wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:33 am
Polkfish1 wrote:

Never needed one. Fish choke a bladed jig. Toughest part is trying to catch up to a big fish after the bite :whistle:
I have had the same experience. With bass at least, I also always reel into the bite and apply pressure with the rod and the hook is set surely on a bladed jig that way. No rod jerk needed; kind of like setting a crank. Except, you don't have to worry about treble hooks bending out with a big fish. They will still find a way to throw a bladed jig if rod is too stiff or if you let them jump around too much. Last couple mornings, I threw a swimbait, followed by a jerkbait, and then bladed jig into the same spots and the quality bites only finally came on the bladed jig on both days. Only normality I have left these days is throwing some baits around in the morning...
Attachments
IMG_6465.jpg
IMG_6465.jpg (90.45 KiB) Viewed 9065 times
IMG_6429.jpg
IMG_6429.jpg (104.73 KiB) Viewed 9065 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:44 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:59 am
These are my 2 strangest bonus fish.

This came on a ned rig. The little Volkey 682L handled it like a champ.
This guy t boned a flapping hog on a shakey head as I brought it out from under a dock and to the boat for another cast. That was fun fight right beside the boat. I thought my rod was going to break. It was one of those walmart exclusive daiwa jupiter rods with a last gen bps pro qualifier.
Those Jupiter rods are pretty decent. My 7ft MH weighs like 3.5oz and has a pretty decent taper for spinnerbaits and such.
That's what I had. It did make a nice moving bait stick. I liked mine as a swim jig rod.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190805-010256_Chrome-700x936.jpg
Screenshot_20190805-010256_Chrome-700x936.jpg (74.31 KiB) Viewed 9042 times

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks gentlemen. 8-)

Holy teeth JB! Cut the line, or did it bite/break you off?

Hang in there Polk. Odd times like these always find me reaching for Hemmingway's The Nick Adams Stories.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:46 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:01 pm
Thanks gentlemen. 8-)

Hang in there Polk. Odd times like these always find me reaching for Hemmingway's The Nick Adams Stories.
:lol: Fought it for 20 minutes or so before I could see it. We have sturgeon, flathead/blue cats, huge stingrays, etc. in the river so you never know what it could be. Finally lifted it to the surface while my buddy took the video, and then it went crazy about 1 second after that picture! (The video is hilarious as that mouth appeared pointed right at him :lol: ) Thought it best to go ahead and break it off at that point, not very wise messing with 8’ gators in my kayak [-(

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:46 am
Gone Phishin wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:01 pm
Thanks gentlemen. 8-)

:lol: Fought it for 20 minutes or so before I could see it. We have sturgeon, flathead/blue cats, huge stingrays, etc. in the river so you never know what it could be. Finally lifted it to the surface while my buddy took the video, and then it went crazy about 1 second after that picture! (The video is hilarious as that mouth appeared pointed right at him :lol: ) Thought it best to go ahead and break it off at that point, not very wise messing with 8’ gators in my kayak [-(
Sweet baby Jesus!!!

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:03 pm

The bladed jig keeps racking up the bycatches. Now the bowfin became active shallow. One of the bigger males I've hooked into recently. Females are usually pretty beefy, but males I've encountered have usually been smaller.

I started experimenting with braided line and bladed jigs despite a buddies caution it was not a good idea. I've let my line stocks diminish, so that's what I had on hand. But, just put in a big online order to replenish because I haven't gone out to my local in a couple weeks. To you e-tailers out there--You're doing God's work right now. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_6528.jpg
IMG_6528.jpg (147.32 KiB) Viewed 8808 times
IMG_6530.jpg
IMG_6530.jpg (92.87 KiB) Viewed 8808 times

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 pm
Nice fish. I've caught lots of cats over the years while bass fishing with plastic worms, cranks and spinnerbaits.
I caught a channel cat on a 4” power worm one cast after I’d caught a largemouth bass off a dock. My second channel cat was caught when I was fishing an EG One’s Bug popper.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 pm
Nice fish. I've caught lots of cats over the years while bass fishing with plastic worms, cranks and spinnerbaits.
I caught a channel cat on a 4” power worm one cast after I’d caught a largemouth bass off a dock. My second channel cat was caught when I was fishing an EG One’s Bug popper.
Channel cats are aggressive feeders. I catch them on all kinds of moving lures. Many of the golf course lakes that I fish are loaded with them. They do laps around the lake all night looking for bait. They love to patrol concrete erosion barriers that are completely around many of the lakes. I have had many nights with several channel cats while fishing for bass.