My Ultimate NED setup!!!

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Hanapaa Joe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

My Ultimate NED setup!!!

Post by Hanapaa Joe » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:19 am

Finally!!! Paired up my ultimate Ned set up. I know most people throw ned rigs on spinning tackle but I wanted to get a solid baitcaster setup for my heavier neds and Shakeys and boooom here it is!!!! I’m looking to update the spool to either a 1012 SLP G1 or a NRC-M. Lmk what you think!
Attachments
ECD4F91E-60D4-4532-84CE-F75B39626BB3.jpeg
ECD4F91E-60D4-4532-84CE-F75B39626BB3.jpeg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 9301 times

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: My Ultimate NED setup!!!

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 am

Awesome. If it's good for Ned Rigs, it will be good for a lot of things. Here's mine:

This is the way.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:34 pm

I can definitely get on board with this :big grin: excellent stuff all the way around =D>

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:13 pm

What weight Ned heads are you planning on for primary use?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:52 pm

Cristo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:34 pm
I can definitely get on board with this :big grin: excellent stuff all the way around =D>
:big grin:
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:56 am

What model is that NRX??? I couldn't make it out for some reason... Also, to okie, what model is the MS-X?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 01, 2019 4:16 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:56 am
What model is that NRX??? I couldn't make it out for some reason... Also, to okie, what model is the MS-X?
I was trying to figure that out myself. All I can tell is that it looks like it's 7' something".

It's the 65L/BF. Using 8# J-Braid to 6# Invizx leader. It slings, pitches, and skips those Neds no problem. I've been mostly using 1/32-1/16oz Owner Blockheads and TRDs/TRD Craws.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:38 am

poisonokie wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:16 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:56 am
I was trying to figure that out myself. All I can tell is that it looks like it's 7' something".

It's the 65L/BF. Using 8# J-Braid to 6# Invizx leader. It slings, pitches, and skips those Neds no problem. I've been mostly using 1/32-1/16oz Owner Blockheads and TRDs/TRD Craws.
Word. I have asked a few times before about Major Craft rods, knowing that might make me hunt a ML to eventually replace my TFO ML casting rod. The TFO has a very progressive bend for a "fast" so a Major Craft should fill the gap nicely one day. I am down to use most NED style heads, but I don't like the Zman plastics for some reason. I know they last forever and people think I am crazy, just not the biggest fan of them. Mainly because I always forget and leave them with other branded plastics to find a molten mess.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 01, 2019 8:06 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:38 am

Word. I have asked a few times before about Major Craft rods, knowing that might make me hunt a ML to eventually replace my TFO ML casting rod. The TFO has a very progressive bend for a "fast" so a Major Craft should fill the gap nicely one day. I am down to use most NED style heads, but I don't like the Zman plastics for some reason. I know they last forever and people think I am crazy, just not the biggest fan of them. Mainly because I always forget and leave them with other branded plastics to find a molten mess.
I've gotten to where I just leave all my plastics in their original packaging. I just can't make Plano boxes work for that purpose.

I haven't forgotten about sending you some pics of the 68ML taper, I just haven't had much spare time. I want to post the tapers of all of them eventually. I need a good scale to really do it scientifically, but the way I check tapers now is to hook the line to something heavy and low to the ground, place the rod horizontal and 90° to the line, and then load it up until the backbone is about 30° to the line. With a scale and a couple of helpers I could take a picture of each one at maybe 5 different loads to show how the powers also compare and get much better data, but I'll probably never get a chance to do all that.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 am

poisonokie wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:06 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:38 am

I've gotten to where I just leave all my plastics in their original packaging. I just can't make Plano boxes work for that purpose.

I haven't forgotten about sending you some pics of the 68ML taper, I just haven't had much spare time. I want to post the tapers of all of them eventually. I need a good scale to really do it scientifically, but the way I check tapers now is to hook the line to something heavy and low to the ground, place the rod horizontal and 90° to the line, and then load it up until the backbone is about 30° to the line. With a scale and a couple of helpers I could take a picture of each one at maybe 5 different loads to show how the powers also compare and get much better data, but I'll probably never get a chance to do all that.
Thanks, no rush here though. It will be a while before I buy any rods. Just had a tree land on BOTH of our cars. Sounds bad but both are drive able still. The 99' Chevy Blazer is pretty tough, caved the roof in a bit and still drives like new. Looks like hammered hell and creature comforts are all failing, but that transmission and engine keep me going.

Either way, that method of taper presentation sounds best. The only other rods I plan on replacing my current ones with would be equivalent St. Croix models.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 02, 2019 4:47 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 am

Thanks, no rush here though. It will be a while before I buy any rods. Just had a tree land on BOTH of our cars. Sounds bad but both are drive able still. The 99' Chevy Blazer is pretty tough, caved the roof in a bit and still drives like new. Looks like hammered hell and creature comforts are all failing, but that transmission and engine keep me going.

Either way, that method of taper presentation sounds best. The only other rods I plan on replacing my current ones with would be equivalent St. Croix models.
Damn! That's Chevy for you, though. The doors will be falling off (which is a relief because the windows stopped rolling down months ago), the dash is cracked in six places, the seat won't adjust, and you can't read any of the buttons on the dash, but the engine still purrs like new.

Yeah, I don't think holding the rod tip-up and pulling the bait straight back to you really tells you much more than how flexible the tip is.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:31 am

poisonokie wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:47 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 am

Damn! That's Chevy for you, though. The doors will be falling off (which is a relief because the windows stopped rolling down months ago), the dash is cracked in six places, the seat won't adjust, and you can't read any of the buttons on the dash, but the engine still purrs like new.

Yeah, I don't think holding the rod tip-up and pulling the bait straight back to you really tells you much more than how flexible the tip is.
That is why sometimes you just have to take risks ordering equipment. Pictures of all sorts help, but sometimes you just gotta pull the trigger. That Chevy comment was hilarious because 90% of it fits my vehicle's description.

Concerning rods though, it would be cool if someone devised a good unit/total system to measure taper/action/etc. that didn't vary greatly across different brands. I like the deflection chart TackleTour presents during rod tests, but I don't 100% understand it (should take the time, my fault).

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri May 03, 2019 6:37 am

Hanapaa Joe wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:19 am
Finally!!! Paired up my ultimate Ned set up. I know most people throw ned rigs on spinning tackle but I wanted to get a solid baitcaster setup for my heavier neds and Shakeys and boooom here it is!!!! I’m looking to update the spool to either a 1012 SLP G1 or a NRC-M. Lmk what you think!

In my humble opinion the G1 is better than the ZPI M spool
And I think it would be a great fit for your setup. The real question is what would the Kahen spool be like for the aforementioned technique?
The M spool is good don’t get me wrong but I’ve got two 1012 and one 1016, two M and two PG spools so that’s my experience
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 am

My 2 Volkey ned chuckers. A Volkey 682L with a Pixy Silver Mica with Airy Red spool for 1/10 oz heads with 3 to 5 inches of elaztech plastic. A Volkey 652UL with an SS SV103 with fixed inductor Ray's spool for 1/20 oz heads and 1.5 to 3 inch plastics. I still need to get RCS cork knobs for the Pixy.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat May 04, 2019 4:12 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 am
My 2 Volkey ned chuckers. A Volkey 682L with a Pixy Silver Mica with Airy Red spool for 1/10 oz heads with 3 to 5 inches of elaztech plastic. A Volkey 652UL with an SS SV103 with fixed inductor Ray's spool for 1/20 oz heads and 1.5 to 3 inch plastics. I still need to get RCS cork knobs for the Pixy.
What did you do to make that a fixed inductor spool?