Custom Trout rod

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Trout rod

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:14 pm

Outstanding!!! =P~

If you built something like that for me, I don't think I could bring myself to fish with it. Heck, I'd have to put a fireplace in my house so I could have a mantel to hang that art above. :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:14 pm

mhood wrote:Outstanding!!! =P~

If you built something like that for me, I don't think I could bring myself to fish with it. Heck, I'd have to put a fireplace in my house so I could have a mantel to hang that art above. :D
If he builds the rod, Ill build the fireplace.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:41 pm

Amazing Mark. Absolutly amazing. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Whats the weight like with the wood handle?

catch'em-all
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by catch'em-all » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:18 pm

tonym wrote:Amazing Mark. Absolutly amazing. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks! 3.2oz. Its quite a bit lighter than I expected. I always think the wood will weigh alot, but the pieces are quite small so its not bad at all. The Fuji Ti guides are also very light, so that helps. I'm not really that concerned about building the lightest possible rods. Afterall, I've never quit fishing because I could no longer lift my rod :big grin: Balance is more important to me.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:25 am

catch'em-all wrote:
tonym wrote:Amazing Mark. Absolutly amazing. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks! 3.2oz. Its quite a bit lighter than I expected. I always think the wood will weigh alot, but the pieces are quite small so its not bad at all. The Fuji Ti guides are also very light, so that helps. I'm not really that concerned about building the lightest possible rods. Afterall, I've never quit fishing because I could no longer lift my rod :big grin: Balance is more important to me.
I hear ya. I'd take a balanced rod over a light rod anyday, but 3.2oz? You got the best of both worlds with that rod. Now you just got to get to work on those custom knobs for that Emeraldas. ;) :lol:

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:50 am

How nice to have it so light ,you will enjoy that.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:56 am

Mark that is one magnificent piece. I see the floatfishing boys fawn over the work of JC Tackle up here, and his workis good, but your work is the major leagues compared to his minnor league stuff as far as I'm concerned. I'm suprised that you didn't put a higher end blank into the mix if you were goingto put out that level of craftsmanship. Can you explain why you went with the Forecast? Snidley

catch'em-all
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by catch'em-all » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:05 am

Hi Snidley,

Thanks for the kind words. The Forecast blank is inexpensive, therefore most think it is also a poor performer based simply on price. This blank might have been a Forecast, or a Cascade or maybe even a Rainshadow, I can't remember when I bought it. It was labelled 721, but since the Batson shuffle, I can't remember when or which line it came from. It is dark natural grey graphite. Suffice it to say, the blank cost me under $25.

I have a Loomis GL3, a St. Croix SCiii, and this Forecast blank, all in the same line ratings, and I can say honestly that the Forecast is as good or better than the other two. Sensetivity, feel and performance are all very good. The raw blank was also straighter than the other two.

The rod business is very much driven by marketing. This is a good indication of that. Sure Loomis, St. Croix, Rogue, etc carry a reputation for performance and quality, but let me assure you that in a blind test, you would be hard pressed to tell me which of my three rods was the Forecast.

One thing I know for sure is that for myself, the Forecast is definitely worthy, but to sell it, I couldn't give it away because it doesn't have any respect. That's ok though, because this one is mine :grin: and performed very well during the trout opener yesterday. A very nice match for the 10-14" rainbows.

If I didn't have so much work to do around the house, I'd be out there again today.
Mark

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:11 am

This is another eye opener for the fancy pants rod guys. I love hearing stuff like this. Was out again myself this morning and bagged 3 srteelies in 5 drifts with the float rod and one right away with a Crickhopper. All in downtown Oakville. Later a big brute broke off a Yozuri Hardcore Jerkbait which is a shame as i only had one of them and it worked on Steelies yesterday too. Bummer. Hooked up on some big Smallmouth Bass (4-5lb females) as well. Didn't mean to but they share the same swim as the Bows, and of course they were all gently released, as were all Trout. Fun two days out but man my back is killing me. Those long rods really do you in. Snidley

bCody
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bCody » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:41 pm

Just remarkable!!!

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:54 pm

Beautiful! =D>