Alphas Appreciation Thread

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas Appreciation Thread

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:35 pm

If you think the Alphas SV bombs then you'll probably like the Alphas TW SV. I hear it is a bit more free than the Alphas SV.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:10 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:35 pm
If you think the Alphas SV bombs then you'll probably like the Alphas TW SV. I hear it is a bit more free than the Alphas SV.
Good, always seems I am optimistic of a reel's ability and for myself end up being right. I was satisfied with how far the old Zillion TWS stock spool would throw 3/16, still wish I had grabbed an SV103 at that time though.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:24 pm

I am toying with the idea of a Ray's studio inductor swap on my Alphas. It has freed up every reel I've put it on.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:24 pm
I am toying with the idea of a Ray's studio inductor swap on my Alphas. It has freed up every reel I've put it on.
Just got the Alphas in... perfect size reel. With a 90mm handle I couldn't imagine a better reel. Paid $203 for mine, that is a steal. I would prefer a bit more shallow spool, this one is quite deep for a 32mm. Smooth, not quite as smooth as my other 2 recent purchases, a Conquest HG 2021 and a Zillion SV1000, but those are regarded as some of the smoothest of all time. The Alphas I received has got to be grease PACKED. Reel is smooth but will not free spool (handle spin) at all. If you pump the handle on most reels I have, they will rotate a few times then come to a stop. This new Alphas SV TW won't even make a half rotation doing this. I don't fully find this a negative, as long as it casts well I am all for extra grease protecting the reel.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:33 am

Huge fan of the new Alphas. Great shape and size and as smooth as my new Zillion and Millionaire CT. I actually think the 85mm handle suits it just fine.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:20 am

Are those 85mm in your pictures? I probably shouldn't complain or spend $40 to change it, but prefer 90mm. I got a 7.1 Alphas SVTW, how do you install the clicking drag from the new Zillion? Do you need an entire gear set?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:31 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:20 am
Are those 85mm in your pictures? I probably shouldn't complain or spend $40 to change it, but prefer 90mm. I got a 7.1 Alphas SVTW, how do you install the clicking drag from the new Zillion? Do you need an entire gear set?
The SLP handle is 85mm and the Basszone is 90mm. I just had it laying around so I threw it on.

Since the gear sets are interchangeable, you just need to pop out the plastic ring and use the key washer with the spring and ball detent.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:39 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:31 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
The SLP handle is 85mm and the Basszone is 90mm. I just had it laying around so I threw it on.

Since the gear sets are interchangeable, you just need to pop out the plastic ring and use the key washer with the spring and ball detent.
So you have to purchase a corresponding Zillion SVTW gear set? I'd rather have a clicking drag than a 90mm handle. Just figuring out what to do.
Also if you don't use the stock Alphas knobs I'd love to buy them from you...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:49 am

Buy JDM new Zillion. Buy Alphas TW. Put JDM Zillion aluminum gears in the Alphas. Put Alphas brass gears in the Zillion. Gain a clicking drag even lighter weight Alphas and brass gear Zillon. :-k You'll only get the 10 lbs single stack drag of the Alphas on the Zillion though doing this. You would have to keep drag and plates with each reel and just swap gears to keep the stock drags. Not sure if an Alphas main gear can even take a Zillion drag stack. I have neither reel. Just OG Alphas and Zillions. Eying these new ones though.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:55 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:39 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

So you have to purchase a corresponding Zillion SVTW gear set? I'd rather have a clicking drag than a 90mm handle. Just figuring out what to do.
For some reason, I was thinking you had a new Zillion and wanted to swap the clicker to the Alphas... The gear sets are compatible; you'd just need the parts I listed above. Unfortunately, looking at the Zillion 1000 schematics, there is no part number for the plastic clicker ring (it's not even shown), so I'm not sure if it can be ordered or not. There are aftermarket kits you can get on ebay and such though.

If you pay for shipping, you can have a set for free. PM me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:01 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:55 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:39 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

For some reason, I was thinking you had a new Zillion and wanted to swap the clicker to the Alphas... The gear sets are compatible; you'd just need the parts I listed above. Unfortunately, looking at the Zillion 1000 schematics, there is no part number for the plastic clicker ring (it's not even shown), so I'm not sure if it can be ordered or not. There are aftermarket kits you can get on ebay and such though.

If you pay for shipping, you can have a set for free. PM me.
I have got a new Zillion, will probably just wait and see if TackleTrap releases a kit. I don't have to have a clicker, but it would be cool. I sent you a PM on the knobs, will gladly take what you have or swap you for the SLP style knobs you have (mine are the stock black Daiwa versions). At this moment I am thinking I should have just spent $60 or so more and gotten another JDM Zillion. Love the Alphas size, but the little 32mm spool was much deeper than I thought and it came a bit over greased. My SV105 really grew on me though and is still one of my most used reels, maybe the SV TW will too.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:49 am

Hope to see more spool options for the new alphas tw soon, everything is great about them but hard to get excited over the stock spool.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:19 pm

That silver paint kills it for me. Maybe if I had a Tatula Elite rod. I'll get a Tatula 70SV over an Alphas simply because of the paint. I would just Ray's swap the inductor if the spool was too slow.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:36 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:19 pm
That silver paint kills it for me. Maybe if I had a Tatula Elite rod. I'll get a Tatula 70SV over an Alphas simply because of the paint. I would just Ray's swap the inductor if the spool was too slow.
So far I judged the greased internals with the spool incorrectly. The spool seems okay, just the reel itself doesn't spin very freely. Cast a 3/16 jighead a few times in the yard with 12lb R18 LTD Seaguar pretty well. I am trying to get used to the 85mm handle, just realized the handles from an old Zillion SV TW and most others don't work with this stock plastic cap. Will more than likely need the plastic cap from the Tatula Elite or another handle.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:46 am

My bootleg ktf alphas since i can't afford to buy one Lol still would like to swap the handle to 86mm version