Speaking of Pixies

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Speaking of Pixies

Post by Warhawk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:12 pm
Go all out and source the parts you need while you can. Years from now they will likely more $ and harder to source.

Perhaps this one of mine can be of inspiration.

Yellow pearl Pixy
6:8 gears
Carbontex multi disk stack - a must
BFS bearings
Black Alphas Swept drag star
Black smooth I shaped knobs
Swept CF handle
Black cast control cap
Black handle nut retainer

Bumble bee themed!
Very nice, I had to do a double take. I have my tuned Pixilla on a Majorcraft Speedstyle rod.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:52 am
You don’t need to twist my arm. Next question...is there any benefit of the TDZ line guide vs the cheaper OG Zillion?
I have both line guides: the TD-Z line guide on a Silver Mica Pixy and the Zillion line guide on a Airy Red ZPI Pixy and there is no difference in terms of performance. The only differnce is the color.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:15 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 am
Hypothetically...if a guy had a nib yellow pearl that will NEVER be used, would you recommend he throw a TDZ line guide on for the coolness factor or just go ahead and leave it bone stock?

I also have a yellow Pixy that will definitely go through to the whole pixzilla tuning. I have to talk with Gary for the parts.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:38 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:40 pm
^^^That yellow Pixy looks familiar.... Come to think of it, that Corzza rod does, too, along with that Ize handle! ;)
Yes sir! How about the IZE handle ;) . I have tried it on bothe the ML speedstyle and UL Corrza. Great on both with 10 pound braid.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:40 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm
Definitely looks pretty. I will absolutely never use this pixy because it’s in my NIB gems pile but wouldn’t be opposed to finding a fisher to actually try. I’ve never used the platform
Thanks! Yes, one for the shelf and one for the lake sounds like a good plan. But after fishing a modded one you might want a few more.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:43 am

Warhawk wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:27 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Go all out and source the parts you need while you can. Years from now they will likely more $ and harder to source.

Yellow pearl Pixy
BFS bearings
Swept CF handle
Black cast control cap

Bumble bee themed!
Very nice, I had to do a double take. I have my tuned Pixilla on a Majorcraft Speedstyle rod.
Thanks! Yea, that is a good pairing for sure. The speedstyle has some yellow in the letters used on the label. And even though it has gold accents it still matches the yellow Pixy pretty well

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:01 am

radu_andrei wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 am
Jnkoepp wrote:
You don’t need to twist my arm. Next question...is there any benefit of the TDZ line guide vs the cheaper OG Zillion?
I have both line guides: the TD-Z line guide on a Silver Mica Pixy and the Zillion line guide on a Airy Red ZPI Pixy and there is no difference in terms of performance. The only differnce is the color.

Is there any performance difference vs the stock line guide?
I’ve never put a zillion or TDZ line guide in mine
Outside of the line guide everything else is upgraded
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:36 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:01 am
radu_andrei wrote:
Jnkoepp wrote:

Not that I have noticed but all I have used has been 20# braid on mine.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:09 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:01 am
radu_andrei wrote:
Jnkoepp wrote:

In terms of performance I can't say if the TD-Z/Zillion line guide is better because I can't remember when I fished last time the reel with the original line guide.
I have now a yellow Pixy in original condition that I could test.
In my opinion, it is definitely a worthwhile improvement, which I would do to any Pixy. I even tried it on a Daiwa Sol, but unfortunately it didn't work out due to the shape of the top part of the reel.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:15 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:

Yellow pearl Pixy
BFS bearings
Swept CF handle
Black cast control cap

Bumble bee themed!

It looks awesome =D> !

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:11 am

Question regarding pixy reels, are they same size/frame as alphas but just made out of magnesium instead of aluminium? Never had a pixy and thinking of picking used one to build it and since I have bunch of alphas spare parts wonder if parts are interchangable.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:32 am

Pastrmka wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:11 am
Question regarding pixy reels, are they same size/frame as alphas but just made out of magnesium instead of aluminium? Never had a pixy and thinking of picking used one to build it and since I have bunch of alphas spare parts wonder if parts are interchangable.
Yes, outer dimensions are the same and magnesium vs aluminum is the main difference. You can even swap sideplates and gears(and pretty much all the internals)between them. Other differences....the Alphas spool is 33mm, while the Pixy spool is 31mm. The top part of the frames are a little different. This allows the TDZ line guide to work on the Pixy, but not the Alphas.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am

I wonder if the Line Guide for the Red Fuego would be the same part number? I have a Fuego and the line guide looks the same, but who knows maybe they are still available for a reasonable price.

I just bought a silver pixy and plan t use the $10 PX Type R line guide (red) on it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am
I wonder if the Line Guide for the Red Fuego would be the same part number? I have a Fuego and the line guide looks the same, but who knows maybe they are still available for a reasonable price.

I just bought a silver pixy and plan t use the $10 PX Type R line guide (red) on it.
I would use the red level wind from an Alphas SV. They're out there in used condition at least.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:32 am

going to find a new rod this year
Attachments
Pixy poo .jpg
Pixy poo .jpg (148.96 KiB) Viewed 7993 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible