Speaking of Pixies

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Speaking of Pixies

Post by radu_andrei » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 am

adam lancia wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:41 am
radu_andrei wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 am
adam lancia wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 am
I'd love to see the difference between the stock Airy spool and the KTF. Would either of you be willing to snap a few shots for me? Thanks in advance! :big grin:
From outside both spools look the same. The difference is in weight and the IXA ceramic bearings on the KTF spool
Oh, I see. I always thought KTF did some porting to the spool to reduce weight. Thanks for the pictures!
As shown in the pictures, the KTF spool is 1 gram lighter than the original Red Pixy spool, which means that some porting was done inside to reduce weight, but from outside the spool appears normal.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am

radu_andrei wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 am
adam lancia wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:41 am
radu_andrei wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 am
adam lancia wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 am
I'd love to see the difference between the stock Airy spool and the KTF. Would either of you be willing to snap a few shots for me? Thanks in advance! :big grin:
From outside both spools look the same. The difference is in weight and the IXA ceramic bearings on the KTF spool
Oh, I see. I always thought KTF did some porting to the spool to reduce weight. Thanks for the pictures!
As shown in the pictures, the KTF spool is 1 gram lighter than the original Red Pixy spool, which means that some porting was done inside to reduce weight, but from outside the spool appears normal.
Also, keep in mind that I weighed the spools on a normal kitchen scale. I didn't use any professional instrument so I am not 100% sure of the indicated values. The difference may be bigger than 1 gram.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:23 pm

KTF did not modify the spool in any way. The standard (silver) spool that comes with the Airy Red has an R+ tuned inductor, which weights 14g. The older GIGAS made black spool that came in the silver/orange/yellow pixy is 15g and does not have an R+ inductor.

The only thing KTF did to those limited Airy Red pixys is cnc a 6.4:1 gear sets, which was very fast for its time and the festest you could get on a pixy. Install their ceramic hybrid bearings (which lowered the spool weight) and put a KTF sticker lol.

You can simply order some KTF stickers, get yourself an Airy Red, order a 7.2:1 gear set from PLAT and install some hedgehog or ZPI bearings, and the reel will be superior to the KTF offerings.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:23 pm
KTF did not modify the spool in any way. The standard (silver) spool that comes with the Airy Red has an R+ tuned inductor, which weights 14g. The older GIGAS made black spool that came in the silver/orange/yellow pixy is 15g and does not have an R+ inductor.

The only thing KTF did to those limited Airy Red pixys is cnc a 6.4:1 gear sets, which was very fast for its time and the festest you could get on a pixy. Install their ceramic hybrid bearings (which lowered the spool weight) and put a KTF sticker lol.

You can simply order some KTF stickers, get yourself an Airy Red, order a 7.2:1 gear set from PLAT and install some hedgehog or ZPI bearings, and the reel will be superior to the KTF offerings.
This has been discussed in the past, too:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46849
You can find more details here:
http://jdmfishing.com/daiwa/pixy-libert ... tf-custom/

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:53 am

radu_andrei wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 pm
SSS wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:23 pm

This has been discussed in the past, too:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46849
You can find more details here:
http://jdmfishing.com/daiwa/pixy-libert ... tf-custom/
I've seen the mention on the site, but as far as i know, its just made by a guy who collects info online, so its not 100% accurate all the time. I have had multiple standard airy red spools. They're all 14g. So if the porting was done, why is the weight the same? Plus, if there was any kind of porting, you'd see it visually. And i have never seen KTF modifying stock spools either (excluding the installation of their ceramic hybrid bearings). If they were to release a KTF reel, they're always replacing the original spool with their own custom made spools.

Another thing that i don't believe on that jdmfishing site is that he is saying that less than 20 were made. I have seen plenty of these poping up on forums, yahoo and ebay, and i am not even searching for them. No way there's only 20 on the market.

Also, if you look at their official page for this reel, there's no such thing as mention of the spool being modified. 6.4:1 gear set and ceramic hybrid bearings is the only thing they've done to it, which, for its time was great because 6.4:1 gear set was nice to have. http://www.karil.co.jp/online_shop/sys/ ... =&mp=ktf40

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 pm

Unfortunately I could not immediately weigh the 2 spools without bearings because I no longer have a Red Pixy.
Finally I found this reel at a friend and asked him to take the bearing off the spool and weigh it:
I also removed the bearing from the KTF custom Pixy spool and weighed it:

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:07 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am
Was just a curious question as I’ve always seen people say to swap to the TDZ line guide but I’ve never heard of swapping to zillion
Between the two is black vs a gray plastic body but then there's the tdx which has the gray body black line guide

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:10 pm

radu_andrei wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 pm
Unfortunately I could not immediately weigh the 2 spools without bearings because I no longer have a Red Pixy.
Finally I found this reel at a friend and asked him to take the bearing off the spool and weigh it:

Did you notice any difference visually?

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:19 pm

eklikewhoa wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:10 pm
radu_andrei wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 pm

Did you notice any difference visually?
From outside both spools look the same

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:13 am

radu_andrei wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:19 pm
From outside both spools look the same
I have a perfect NIB Airy Red KTF in my collection that I acquired many years ago. It is an original and a rare gem indeed. I do indeed think that the information on the JDM fishing site referring to this reel being produced in incredibly limited numbers, 20 in fact, to be accurate. The limiting factor is the custom gear set. I've seen numerous "KTF Airy Red Pixy" listings, but they didn't have the original 6.4:1 gear set, so their authenticity is questionable at minimum.

Radu - thank you for posting those weights. I snapped a quick photo of the inductor side of the spool. I thought I had a stock Airy Red spool somewhere as a comparison, but I couldn't locate it in my spool stash. The porting behind the inductor may be the same on both spools, but I can't confirm since I don't have the stock spool. Regardless, your numbers are similar to those I found many years back when I weighed the two spools side by side.

Regardless, the original real deal KTF Airy Red is a piece of Daiwa/KTF history, is very rare to find a real one, and it is just all around a sweet little reel.

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:33 am

Hmm, doesn't seem to be it, here's the stock airy red spool
Attachments
PSX_20210407_103235.jpg
PSX_20210407_103235.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 4629 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:59 am

Same. Airy Red spool in my Silver Mica.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210408-115837_Gallery_copy_720x1132.jpg
Screenshot_20210408-115837_Gallery_copy_720x1132.jpg (40.08 KiB) Viewed 4601 times

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Sun May 02, 2021 4:33 am

I laughed out loud when I found it on FB because it fits like a glove for my last purchase: A red pixy custom KTF

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Sun May 02, 2021 4:37 am

radu_andrei wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:33 am
I laughed out loud when I found it on FB because it fits like a glove for my last purchase: A red pixy custom KTF
And this reel is really a shelf queen because I can't get used to fish reels with right hand retieve :doh:

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Wed May 05, 2021 12:37 am

radu_andrei wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:37 am
radu_andrei wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:33 am
And this reel is really a shelf queen because I can't get used to fish reels with right hand retieve :doh:
Time to dump it... I know just the person to take care of that too. ;)