Can you bed line a reel?

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Can you bed line a reel?

Post by LowRange » Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 pm

Turns out you can and it looks like ass. Who knew. I have been bedlining my truck to cover rust "repair" which is actually just digging away the rot, converting the rust that remains and then covering with plastic or fiberglass filler. I went with raptor liner for the flares and lower trim. Rustolem rattle can liner for the bed caps (not pictured as done yet) and an undecided 3rd material to do the actual bed which just has a drop in.

The reel was done in the rustolem garbage because it goes on super thin. It did the plastic bed side cap things alright but has a fine texture and is very thin. You would have to do a ton of coats to shoot a bed. The raptor liner goes on in one coat from a small air compressor and is like shooting tar even at 60 psi.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Can you bed line a reel?

Post by LowRange » Mon May 30, 2022 9:35 pm

I still need to shoot the drag star.

This is what was under my original flares. This is what 18 years in Nebraska does to a truck.
After popping some bubbles there was no metal behind them. Neat.
New daily is this manual awd unicorn Element. It's looks like a 10 year old car underneath and is already clad in plastic. Turns out you can stick a kayak back there and still close the hatch because it also has a tailgate. Let's me keep the truck for truck stuff and hauling tne bass boat. Element for a daily, kayak and camping.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 31, 2022 6:19 am

Shoot. 18 years in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan would only have the rubber of the tires left. So much salt gets dumped on the roads up here
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 31, 2022 6:35 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:19 am
Shoot. 18 years in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan would only have the rubber of the tires left. So much salt gets dumped on the roads up here
It's not as bad in Nebraska but still pretty bad. Any 20 year old truck that has nothing done to slow the rust looks like this. My gen of Ford don't do too bad with the rust and only have issues with cab corners, back of the fenders, front of the box and rockers but the doors hang past the rockers. Non super crew cab are immune to the cab corner rot. They have that crappy 5.4 though. Rams and GMT800 GM trucks have good power trains but rust out worse than the Fords. 5.0L aluminum body Fords are what I want but run 30k for a 2016 in this market so screw that. All modern trucks rust. If its not the body because its aluminum then the thin steel boxed frame with rust and split the truck in two in 20 years. They don't last.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue May 31, 2022 9:08 am

Dang you guys have it rough! I thought buying a car from Monterey, CA would be bad but you boys take the cake!