surf rods. IMX surf or st croix legend extreme?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
fob bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

surf rods. IMX surf or st croix legend extreme?

Post by fob bob » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:04 am

Looking to hear some opinions on these rods. Anyone have any experience with these? Please reply with the good bad and the ugly. All info much appreciated.

fob bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: surf rods. IMX surf or st croix legend extreme?

Post by fob bob » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 am

anybody?

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:45 pm

There never seems to be too much action on the Saltwater board.

The closest I can get to your choices is the St. Croix Premier surf, spinning. I got a 10' , 2 pc last year. Only had a chance to use it a couple of times on a southern sojourn last winter but I was pleased with it. Caught fish so who's complaining. lol Actually I caught bigger fish fishing inshore on a tidal creek on that trip than the surf. But I had to leave just when the month ahead was supposedly going to see a big increase in the surf action.

fob bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fob bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:02 am

lol yea i've also got the premier surf 2 piece. i suppose any rod would catch fish with the right setup just wondering if anyone had more inside subtleties about these 2 rods. appreciate the response.

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 am

The IMX surf rods are awesome rods. I would recommend IMX 1264-2S SUR paired with a Van Staal VM150. I just wish they produced it in casting versions.

fob bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fob bob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:07 am

1264 just a tad bit to long for me. im a shorty. very close to buying the 1204s. I am looking at the VS VM150 as well. can you please share your experiences with the VM 150?

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:16 am

I also want to know ....I know 9ft IMX IS 11OZ! when I get mine I'm puting a Stella 8000 :)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:54 pm

I went against the grain and voiced my displeasure of the legend. I had the 10'6 .75-4 rod. In comparison to my arsenal of tiralejo rods. It didn't have a fit. It didn't cast any better than the 10' shimano. And I didn't like the action at all. It was way too fast for my liking. And it didn't handle lures over three ounces very well at all. As far as weight is concerend balancing torque was the exact same as the shimano.

My friend had a legend 2-6 wrapped with titanium low riders (which were spaced to fit the zb 25 spool diameter) and that threw better than his factory 2-6 with the same reel. (there have been many discussions on the factory layout of those rods, and how it isn't ideal)

I can't comment on the imx loomis rods. As I have only owned their gl2 blank versions from yester year.

Just so yo know I have owned quite a few surf sticks At one point i had 4 loomis rods, Then i went to half a dozen ron arras. And then at one point I think I had 11 tiralejos. I judge gear on how it performs and how much of a beating it can take. The legend didn't do it for me, And i only payed around 2bills for it. SO I wasn't factoring in the dollar vs performance ratio.

fob bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fob bob » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 pm

wow i wish i read your post before i started buying items up. Great to hear your experiences! I am also looking for other factory production surf rods. i have owned a st croix triumph, premier, and legend surf. IMX surf and shimano tiralejo also. I am curious if you've tried the Team Daiwa Surf Classic rod. It possesses a lot of good reviews and a cheap price tag for a lifetime warranted rod too.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:17 am

Thats funny you mention the classics. When I first starting getting really into surf casting. My first venture into quality gear were the Team daiwa s series, and a few of the whities.

The classics are great sticks. The blank isn't any modern marvel But it's still a good stick. I like slower action rods. So st croix premeir and avids. Don't toot my horn at all. Way to fast of a blank for my tastes. I especially prefer more moderate action rods for marathon plugging sessions. As the added pluses are much less fatigue when casting (less force to load rod) and less shake offs (pulled hooks).

I suggest checking out Stripers online. Pop a question up. And Im sure you'll get a million answers in short time.

fob bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fob bob » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:08 pm

man it's like so funny you also mention premier and avid surf. I currently own a premier and bought a tirajelo and IMX surf with the intentions of upgrading. the legend surf not so much. i am looking to purchase an avid surf on SOL as we speak! lol. small world. Great minds think alike!

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 am

Waiting for my IMX 8'6 2pics to come in I'm thinking stella 8000 to go with it. I'll post some photos later

tacklejunkiejake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tacklejunkiejake » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:17 am

Let me know how that setup works out and looking forward for the photos.

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:21 pm

sure thing I'll start with the Rod photos first then when i get the reel I'll show some postings bouth together.

tacklejunkiejake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tacklejunkiejake » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Sounds good thanks.