Best inshore low profile baitcasters?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
pinoyboykev
Angler
Angler

Best inshore low profile baitcasters?

Post by pinoyboykev » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering what your opinions were on what would be the best inshore low profile baitcaster. Price is not an issue, but less is more imo. Currently, I have been eyeing the new revo inshore by Abu that they debuted at iCast 2012, but I am not too familiar with the inshore/SW baitcasting market. Mostly, I am going to be targeting inshore central florida species such as snook, small tarpon, redfish, and the occasional jack crevalle and king mackerel. I love using low profile baitcasters because of their compactness, but for the past two years I have been using my quantum smoke 100 for the above species, and needless to say it pretty much exploded yesterday after I hooked into a 40 inch snook. I like the revo inshore because the drag is advertised as 20 pounds, which is a nice cushion just in case I hook a larger tarpon or a long running king mack, but I am in need of advice in case there is a better alternative to what I am interested in. Mostly I fish from piers or kayaks and I like to stay fairly mobile and have a light outfit that can be used for different types of jigs. Line capacity is important and I usually use a 20 or 30 pound braid. Drag has to be most importantly smooth, but also have the guts to take on something that goes for long runs or needs to be turned around from structure such as a bridge. I know a lot of this sounds like the job of a spinning reel or conventional, but I really love taking things on my little smoke 100 and seeing the look on everyone's face when I pull a 20 pound smoker king onto the yak.

P.S. Are round baitcasters any good for this type of fishing?I have never used one before. If they can cast as far as a low profile, then some suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best inshore low profile baitcasters?

Post by lpquick » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I fish almost exclusively inshore and it’s either a Calais 201A, 201DC or a round reel for me like my Conquest 51, 101DC or 201DC. If properly cared for they all hold up well in brackish water. I also like the round reels for their robust, powerful gearing. If I wanted a reel with a spool click, I would consider the 300 or 400 series. About three weeks ago I caught 2 Jack Crevalle, one on my 101DC and the other on my Conquest 51. They performed flawlessly, only problem is they don’t hold enough line so we had to pull anchor and follow the Jack’s, which is understandable if you know how hard Jack’s fight.
Last edited by lpquick on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mickeyfin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:57 am

The top choices among 6 inshore reels I own are the Shimano curado 300's.
The dsv & ej models are my go to inshore reels for everything in southern Ca.They are powerful, great casters, easy to maintain and reliable.
go gettum, Mick

JoseC
Angler
Angler

Post by JoseC » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:17 am

I just got a Zillion coastal and am very impressed.

I am from Tampa and target the same species as you. Been kayak fishing for 7 years and have never looked back.

With a drag upgrade you can put down about 13-15lbs of drag but I never really lock it down because I fish with artificial lures 99% of the time and the rods I use are technique specific bass rods with line ratings at or below 15lbs. I have also found that (with snook especially), the harder you pull on them, the harder they fight back.

When fishing for big snook I still use 10-15lb braid and prefer a 2500 -3000 sized spinning reel for this one reason: When they are going to put me in structure I flip the bail open and relieve all pressure. The fish will come to a complete stop, calm down, and usually return to the area where it was hooked. Then all you have to do is apply very little pressure to SLOWLY turn their heads toward you and put the heat back on. At this point they have to come out of the structure in order to go back in. Repeat a couple of times and its usually a done deal. I have done this successfully with a baitcaster but if the fish is running hard and fast, there are times you end up with a backlash when clicking the rod into freespool. Maybe I have more practice doing this with a spinning reel... either way, give it a try. It sounds counter intuitive but it works really well.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 pm

lpquick wrote:I fish almost exclusively inshore and it’s either a Calais 201A, 201DC or a round reel for me like my Conquest 51, 101DC or 201DC. If properly cared for they all hold up well in brackish water. I also like the round reels for their robust, powerful gearing. If I wanted a reel with a spool click, I would consider the 300 or 400 series. About three weeks ago I caught 2 Jack Crevalle, one on my 101DC and the other on my Conquest 51. They performed flawlessly, only problem is they don’t hold enough line so we had to pull anchor and follow the Jack’s, which is understandable if you know how hard Jack’s fight.
The Revo Toro 50 and 60 has quite a bit of capacity. something like 250yd and 330yd of 30lb braid respectively. Plus they have synchronised levelwind, and line clicker. They are pretty much LP mini game reels.

pinoyboykev
Angler
Angler

Post by pinoyboykev » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:08 am

Thank you all for the suggestions. After much looking around, I think my decision has come down to the curado 300's, Daiwa lexa 300, daiwa pluton, or the revo inshore. The lexa and pluton both are really sexy, its just so hard to decide!

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:05 am

After much looking around, I think my decision has come down to the curado 300's, Daiwa lexa 300, daiwa pluton, or the revo inshore. The lexa and pluton both are really sexy, its just so hard to decide!
Pluton are really nice. But are they still LPs?

pinoyboykev
Angler
Angler

Post by pinoyboykev » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 am

They are technically round reels, but I did ask for suggestions on round reels because I have never used one. The only reels I have used that are similar are big conventional reels such as the saltiga and torium. I was not sure if the smaller ones cast as nicely as the LP, but for the most part after doing some research it seems that they do.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:19 pm

pinoyboykev wrote:The only reels I have used that are similar are big conventional reels such as the saltiga and torium. I was not sure if the smaller ones cast as nicely as the LP.
Some have described the Pluton as a Saltiga SA15 with thumb bar, cast control, and levelwind :mrgreen:. The reel is very smooth, powerful, and casts great. However they are expensive, have limited line capacity, and have been known to have issues with the levelwind. Overall you'll be very happy with it if you can afford it.

For me, the Curado 300DSV is the one I'd choose, mainly because I can service and repair it myself if needed. Any of the reels mentioned would do the job.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Wait, isn't the new Antares and the Z inshore BCs? They gotta be among the best and best looking too.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Mcyl wrote:Wait, isn't the new Antares and the Z inshore BCs? They gotta be among the best and best looking too.
I know the Z is all aluminum, not sure about the Antares. Any reel can be used inshore, but it's recommended that reels with magnesium parts be used in freshwater only. Saltwater can eat away at the magnesium. Typically, reels marketed for inshore have aluminum frames and/or some kind of protective coating, sealed bearings, and higher line capacity.

strathy
Angler
Angler

Post by strathy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:48 pm

I can,t really compare the fish we chase over here in the UK to the stuff you lucky guys over there get to chase, but I do use LP BC reels for all my inshore and Wreck fishing on the 18 mile line in the North Sea, and over the wrecks and reefs in the English Channel.
I use all Abu Revos now, the Inshore, Winch and all 3 gear ratio versions of the Toros in both 51 and 61 sizes.
I used to use round Abu 6501c3 Inshores and 7001i with mono, before I made my first foray into LP reels and braid.
My first LP reels were a Shimano Curado 201e, with 30lb braid, and a 301e with 50lb braid. Both barely lasted two 8 hour trips being hammered by Pollock to 18lbs and Ling and Cod upto 28lbs.
On the second trip out with the Curados, There was a lad from Pure fishing on the boat using the, then New, Revo Toros and Inshore. He was getting similar sized fish to me but was landing them in half the time it took me to tame mine on the Shimanos, he just wound-up the drag and battered the fish into submission.
He lent me a couple of Revos after the trip and I,ve never used anything else since.
I use the Inshore and Winch with 240yds of 30lbs braid on a 6-15lb class rod, the 51s with 280yds of 40lb braid on a 15-25lb rod and the 61s with 300yds of 50lb braid on a 25-40lb rod.
Hope this helps you.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:09 am

I would easily recommend the Zillion Coastal (on a Dobyns Champ rod it looks badass), Pluton, Revo Inshore, any Calcutta or Curados. The lexa is a great reel, but for me at least it is only used for monster lures...I am not sure how well it would throw a 1/4 oz jighead with a grub on it.

gordoleo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gordoleo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:57 pm

I do not have much experience with most of the reels that have been mentioned, but from my experience, the Curado 300 would work perfectly. I have also heard great things about the Revos. Either one of those 2 would be a huge upgrade in the power department compared to your Smoke. Even the old Curado 200e would be more powerful than your Smoke. My brother landed an estimated 35 pound bull red from the surf with his Curado 200e.

pinoyboykev
Angler
Angler

Post by pinoyboykev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:21 pm

The zillion coastal looks like a great inshore reel, but I am a little worried with the drag. The zillion type r looks better, but I would rather have the pluton for that money to target kings and bonita.