Rod for Alphas/Pixy

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
ztcsmd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod for Alphas/Pixy

Post by ztcsmd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:31 pm

I wade fish along the Texas gulf coast and throw mostly saltwater assasins with a 1/16 lead head, any thoughts on rod pairing--no budget in mind

supersano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rod for Alphas/Pixy

Post by supersano » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Any rod Medium to Medium Heavy power. Fast to ExFast action. I'm using several brands at the moment for the same purpose as you are. Been fishing with a Cumulus 610MH a lot lately with deadly dudely. MH cumulus feels more of a Med.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:55 pm

No comment on the rod, but you might want to rethink the Pixy if you're fishing saltwater...

ztcsmd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ztcsmd » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:25 am

bigreddog wrote:No comment on the rod, but you might want to rethink the Pixy if you're fishing saltwater...
Been using them for about 6 years--upgraded bb's to crbb--also take very good care of my equipment, covers on reels when underway in boat and also keep in rocket launchers on top of t-top so no spray gets on them.

james123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by james123 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:56 pm

I just bought a dobyns dx701c to pair with my pixy.
I am not impressed.

I think the key about the rod for small reel is the lengh. It cannot be over 6'6.
I am actually looking for a 6'3 mlxf type of rod to pair with my pixy.

supersano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supersano » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:12 am

Pixy in saltwater? What's your maintenance routine? I fish here in southeast Louisiana for red and specks. I've been longing for q pixy reel myself.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26 pm

supersano wrote:Pixy in saltwater? What's your maintenance routine? I fish here in southeast Louisiana for red and specks. I've been longing for q pixy reel myself.
I would also like to know this. I sold off a Steez after less than a months use because i was nervous about using it in the brackish/salt waters around here. Would sure like to get another Steez or Pixy if possible.

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 am

For open hook applications, I actually prefer a fast action rod over an extra fast action because fast action rods tend to be easier to cast (especially with lighter baits) and usually will handle a wider range of lure weights.

If you can find one, that 6'10" Shimano Cumulus supersano recommended is a fantastic rod. I have a Core 50 on mine and it is unbelievably light and balanced. It will cast stuff like weightless Zoom Super Flukes with no trouble at all while still having quite a bit of power.

Any of the Shimano Cumara rods with a fast action instead of extra fast would be an excellent choice too.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:39 am

Right now my pixy is paired either with my GLX802 or with an older version of the Shimano crucial drop shot rod (6'6, 1/8 - 3/8 Oz?, cork handle). I have not yet thrown anything closed to 1/16 though.

ezcue
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ezcue » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:32 am

I dont wade fish but I do fish the old Purple 103L Alphas. I have a pair and the rod they are on is the Megabass F4-610XDti Elseil. For what I do inshore fishing from slinging a she-dog to a Mirrodine or a 1/4oz jig and plastic....heck the thing even does fine with a popping cork and a Vudu shrimp under it, it is the do all JDM rod. When I was bass fishing, I bought two of them and they are (for me) the best all around rod to pair with the smaller finesse style JDM reels. Mine stay spooled up with 30lb PP or Superslick and throw everything in my boat. They are an absolute dream on specks and will handle the most stubborn redfish...just dont crank the drag down and be ready to get someone on the motor if you hook a Bull. Hope that helps.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 am

This is probably not a reasonable suggestion but the Evergreen Steed is a magic wand with a Pixy. If you could find one, I expect you would love the combo. I'm impressed that you're using a Pixy in the salt and it's not melting on you.

gordoleo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gordoleo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:06 am

I also wadefish the Texas coast, and I highly recommend the Laguna Latis Stix for what you are throwing. I also really like Sarge Custom's Smooth Dog for those baits. Both of these rods will be much lighter than any production rod.