ZPI MG spool upgrade (daiwa)

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

ZPI MG spool upgrade (daiwa)

Post by africanbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:07 am

Thought I would start a new thread with regards to obtaining user feedback for the much overlooked ZPI MG spools.
With reference to the Daiwa upgrades in particular.
I purchased a couple of these a few years back with positive results. Over time the newer spools replaced them and the ZPI spools ended up in the tackle cupboard.
Happened to give them a spin again recently, wow !
These spools have now relegated a few SV'S to the tackle shelf.
Paired with a TD-Z I managed to outcast any of my other reels (pure distance with a 3/8 oz spinnerbait)
This spool still has the greatest consistent control I have ever experienced (without sacrificing distance as experienced with the SV)
So if you have one collecting dust, give it a go and please post your comments.

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: ZPI MG spool upgrade (daiwa)

Post by rugbyfisherman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:18 am

I agree. I prefer it to the SV, RCS 1016 and stock TDZ and Steez spools. Getting hard to find them in certain colours and in good shape these days but definitely worth it. But if you have extras in the cupboard Craig send them over :lol: :lol:

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:26 am

rugbyfisherman wrote:I agree. I prefer it to the SV, RCS 1016 and stock TDZ and Steez spools. Getting hard to find them in certain colours and in good shape these days but definitely worth it. But if you have extras in the cupboard Craig send them over :lol: :lol:
Great point, condition is everything with these spools.
They are relatively fragile if abused. This includes the light weight spool shaft.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:27 am

I wanna try one. Send one over to me :mrgreen:

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:54 am

Just did some digging,serious wake up call :evil:
I have a problem [-X
ImageImage

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:34 am

africanbass wrote:
rugbyfisherman wrote:I agree. I prefer it to the SV, RCS 1016 and stock TDZ and Steez spools. Getting hard to find them in certain colours and in good shape these days but definitely worth it. But if you have extras in the cupboard Craig send them over :lol: :lol:
Great point, condition is everything with these spools.
They are relatively fragile if abused. This includes the light weight spool shaft.
One of the used spools I purchased arrived with a spool pin that had considerable lateral movement.The spool shaft is made of an aluminum composite that can be easily damaged during bearing changes.Try purchase a spool that has not been worked on if possible.After cleaning a small dab of 'blue' loctite has held the pin in place now for a good few years.

Also avoid fishing the spools with too much mechanical braking applied.The ceramic pin that comes into contact with the spool shaft tip can cause some real damage.One click back from the 'no lateral movement' position is perfect.
A fellow angler did some damage in his Steez :?
ImageImage
So just a couple of things to look for when eye balling images on auction sites.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:07 am

Wow they seem fragile! How well do they hold up to the rigors of fishing such as pitching heavy cover and pulling fish from cover with braid? I'd really like an 002 for my Ito which is used primarily for frogging and jigs on a Perfect Pitch and with 60lb braid. I also thought about a 001 for one of my I'ze Personal TD-Z's, but not sure how much I would gain over the already awesome Type-R+ spool in them. Maybe a purple 002 for my Steez to replace the 1016 if it is that much better. That is primarily used for Senkos on 12lb Fluoro.

In other words looks like I want three of these things! There was a red on in the classifieds a few months back I inquired about too late, went for around $60!!!! :shock: :shock: ](*,)

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:38 am

They stand up pretty well to regular use no problem.Buy with confidence :D
Just simply trying to point out some issues with purchasing a spool on line with limited/poor photos.
Marked(scratched) spool shafts from careless bearing upgrades are your biggest risk.
Try buy stock if possible.
PS. the damaged spool above still fishes perfectly with the mechanical brake backed off one click.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:42 am

africanbass wrote:They stand up pretty well to regular use no problem.Buy with confidence :D
Just simply trying to point out some issues with purchasing a spool on line with limited/poor photos.
Marked(scratched) spool shafts from careless bearing upgrades are your biggest risk.
Try buy stock if possible.
PS. the damaged spool above still fishes perfectly with the mechanical brake backed off one click.
Good to know, thank you. How does the 001 compare to the Type-R+ spool and the 1016 spool? I imagine just due to the depth of the 002 it would out perform both of them, especially with lighter baits and skipping.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:02 am

I have both deep and shallow versions.The shallow spools are more difficult to find.
To be honest in a blind test i would not be able to tell the difference,so no biggie.
I only use braid so line capacity is not an issue for me.
The R+ plus spool is wilder and requires a smooth casting action.If you think the 1016 spool is very controlled,give the ZPI a shot 8-)
The only negative is that with a Steez/TDZ my sweet spot is on mag setting 3/2.
Doesn't leave me much room to play :lol:
I always wanted to try one of these spools in a T3(unfortunately spool is off set due to bearing on handle side)
I managed to pick one up on auction with a modified bearing that fits the t3 perfectly(much like the MB finesse spool modification)

I have only had a very limited amount of casts.From initial tests this spool is epic on Mag 6.
The bonus is that the long cast setting will open up a new world of casting options with this spool.
Note modified spool bearing,
ImageImage

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:07 am

africanbass wrote:I have both deep and shallow versions.The shallow spools are more difficult to find.
To be honest in a blind test i would not be able to tell the difference,so no biggie.
I only use braid so line capacity is not an issue for me.
The only negative is that with a Steez/TDZ my sweet spot is on mag setting 3/2.
Doesn't leave me much room to play :lol:
I always wanted to try one of these spools in a T3(unfortunately spool is off set due to bearing on handle side)
I managed to pick one up on auction with a modified bearing that fits the t3 perfectly(much like the MB finesse spool modification)

I have only had a very limited amount of casts.From initial tests this spool is epic on Mag 6.
The bonus is that the long cast setting will open up a new world of casting options with this spool.
Note modified spool bearing,
ImageImage
Yeah I have found quite a few 001 spools. Havent found a 002 for sale yet, especially in purple or ito green :lol: Thanks for the info, you ever let any go gimme a PM.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:16 am

Good luck with the purple!
Certain colors are super rare(been after a 002 yellow tiger for years)
Give Gary a shout,I know he has a stellar collection :-$

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 am

africanbass wrote:Good luck with the purple!
Certain colors are super rare(been after a 002 yellow tiger for years)
Give Gary a shout,I know he has a stellar collection :-$
I hate diving into his gear, he always ends up offering me too much cool stuff I have a VERY hard time passing up ](*,)

belippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by belippy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 pm

I do have a green and purple brand new 002 spools that I've purchased a while back, never tried them though.
I wonder how do the ZPI 002 compare to the ZPI Blue Emblem spool? Craig?
And also what's the difference between the gold, silver and black inductor?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 pm

belippy wrote:I do have a green and purple brand new 002 spools that I've purchased a while back, never tried them though.
I wonder how do the ZPI 002 compare to the ZPI Blue Emblem spool? Craig?
And also what's the difference between the gold, silver and black inductor?

Finally a pic.