Making old round Abu's new

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
The Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Making old round Abu's new

Post by The Doc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:36 am

A few months ago (before the crash) there was a guy posting some seriously gorgeous Abu round reels in the show and tell section (I wish I could remember who it was) I got a case of nostalgia thinking about fishing with my grandpa before he passed and I started longing for one of the old Abu round reels. For technology back then, the reels were great but in order to match what is available nowadays, you would have to do some serious upgrades. So, I set out to find a decent round reel that could match modern technology with some upgrades. The first reel I did was a 5000 series. I did bearing and drag upgrades, and a handle swap. I didn't like the size of that reel, it was a bit big for my liking on a bass rod. I put this project on the back burner for a while, and recently started getting into it again. I bought a 4600C4 from a TT member that already had some upgrades done to it, and I ordered some extra parts that weren't upgraded yet. I have the parts, but the reel is still at home (waiting to get to my new base for the wife to mail to me) So now, I'm starting a new project for a really good buddy of mine, who happens to own a custom lure company as a way to say thank you for sending me care packages while I was here in Afghanistan. It's in the planning stage, as I need some good answers on parts compatibility. Here is what I am working on/with at the moment:

Reel: Abu 2500C (I think it's a 77 model, not sure how to tell)
Parts upgrades: Avail Microcast 2560 spool
Boca Abec 7 orange seals
B Trap 5152 bearing supported gear
B Trap ceramic line guide
Avail mag brake
CF Handle with EVA knobs (probably from one of my Patriarch XT's)
Dual bearing level wind

Custom paint by Calfish (to match the Sword rod I'm having built right now for my buddy) Sideplates will be a metallic black, as well as the handle spacer under the handle, and the handle nut. Metallic orange HOK paint (Tangerine Shimrin Kandy) for the drag star, frame, brake knob, and if I can get the emblem off without damaging it, that part will be tangerine too.) The colors are to match his business logo's colors.

So I have it all down on paper, currently bidding on the reel on fleabay, and I have an email in to Jun at japantackle.com for some questions about the parts compatibility for some things and to find the dual bearing levelwind as they only offer a single bearing levelwind.

Anyone know who was doing the postings of all those sweet round reels a while ago? Anyone taken on a project like this yet? If so, how did the reel turn out? Without going into too much detail, the rod is being built to cast just one lure (that my buddy makes) which is a "special" 1/4 oz jig, and I want to make sure that the reel will be able to cast this lure well. I know I could have gone with a Pixy, Presso, or anything like that, but my buddy had an old round reel he loved and he lost it on a lake in a spooning accident, so I thought I could bring that back to him with this reel. Post me up some pics of your old round reels you have tuned or modified with specs and how they perform.

Doc
Custom Lures Unltd JB Custom PowerTeam Lures Staff

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Making old round Abu's new

Post by knht » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:08 am

Doc,

This is interesting. I am working on something slightly similar crrently. Got myself a near mint Ambassadeur 1600C IAR, so fai I have the following tuning parts, or on order:

1) Avail Microcast 1540 spool, with stock centrifugal brake unit
2) B-trap 5152 bearing support cog gear
3) B-trap line guide
4) B-trap bearing support aluminium level wind, with a 3x7x3 Boca ABEC 5 SS bearing on order
5) Boca ABEC 5 Ceramic bearings, a pair of 5x11x4 on order
6) Smooth drag carbontex washer

Also have a Ambassadeur 1500CI. For that, I have an B-trap chrome clutch release bar. I will first try out all the tuning parts on the 1600C IAR, and later swap all the tuning parts onto 1500c and compare, the parts are inter-changeable :mrgreen:

PS: You can check underneath the reel foot, first two digits of the serial number indicate year of manufacture.

The Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Doc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:44 am

I thought the first 2 on the SN were the year, so it's a 77 model. I've heard that there is quite a cult following in Japan on the little 1500 and 2500 reels. Let me know how yours turns out! This is the 4th one I've been bidding on. I've gotten beat out on the last 3 while I was away from my computer. I have my alarm set to 5 minutes before the bidding ends this time! I'm still looking for the dual bearing level wind. I know that UT Reels makes them, but I don't know exactly how to order them (especially with the exchange rate and all). Post a picture or 2 of yours. I'd like to see it. As soon as my wife mails me the 4600, I'll post pics of that one. I'm changing out all the gold parts for black ones, got 4 Orange seals for it, and I've got a different handle for it already.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:29 pm

The Doc wrote: Anyone know who was doing the postings of all those sweet round reels a while ago? Anyone taken on a project like this yet?
hey Doc there are a few guys here that i believe are well-versed in Abu tuning... illini and waterone come to mind but i dont think they've posted up in awhile, so the only other member i can think of would be Reeltor. the Abu tuneups he's posted before have consistently impressed me with the upgrade path and attention to detail =D>

i'm working on my own 2500C project now, already acquired a few Avail and b-trap parts but i've decided to forgo the Avail spools as i have a few already for my Morrums and am lining up for the UT performance upgrade kit instead :big grin:

and this link might help out with deciphering the mfr date of your reel...
<correlation does not equal causality>

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 pm

knht wrote:Doc,

This is interesting. I am working on something slightly similar crrently. Got myself a near mint Ambassadeur 1600C IAR, so fai I have the following tuning parts, or on order:

1) Avail Microcast 1540 spool, with stock centrifugal brake unit
2) B-trap 5152 bearing support cog gear
3) B-trap line guide
4) B-trap bearing support aluminium level wind, with a 3x7x3 Boca ABEC 5 SS bearing on order
5) Boca ABEC 5 Ceramic bearings, a pair of 5x11x4 on order
6) Smooth drag carbontex washer

Also have a Ambassadeur 1500CI. For that, I have an B-trap chrome clutch release bar. I will first try out all the tuning parts on the 1600C IAR, and later swap all the tuning parts onto 1500c and compare, the parts are inter-changeable :mrgreen:

PS: You can check underneath the reel foot, first two digits of the serial number indicate year of manufacture.

I have the same reel and I just added the Avail super high speed gear kit 6.0:1, Sweet having the faster gear ratio. also have Smooth drag carbontex washer and the bearing support cog gear. Were are you ordering the B-trap bearing support aluminium level wind from? :D

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:18 pm

This was my 1500C (from the sort-of recent Japanese reproduction).

Upgrades:
# B-trap #
1BB idler gear
1BB worm gear
Levelwind

# Avail #
STO2 handle (black)
handle nut (black)
Microcast Spool 1520 with mag brake

# Bassart #
2BB GRK-SD101 knobs (black)

# Boca Bearings #
Orange seals

# Carbontex #
Drag washers

Ended up selling it. Couldn't get used to the geary feel and the fact it was a righty.

No nostagia for me. Never had an old one to begin with. :lol:

Update:
In stock form

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by knht » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Reeltor wrote:I have the same reel and I just added the Avail super high speed gear kit 6.0:1, Sweet having the faster gear ratio. also have Smooth drag carbontex washer and the bearing support cog gear. Were are you ordering the B-trap bearing support aluminium level wind from? :D
WOuld love to have the 6.0 speed gear but for the comment on Avail site, "set drag at 1kg". That worries me a bit.

I got the B-trap tuning kits from local tackle shop which stock them. Depends on where you are, you may have to order from Japan Tackle.

The Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Doc » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:29 am

Y2K88, Man, that is one sweet looking reel! The handle looks great on that!
As far as the parts, I found the whole list from japantackle.com
I read somewhere that UT Reels makes a dual bearing levelwind, as japantackle.com only has a single bearing levelwind..... I'm gonna do some research and figure it out.
I think Illini was the person who I was thinking of. I saw one reel he did in a green metallic color that was awesome. I think I remember the poster saying he made his own bearing supported gear.... I went thru 67 pages in the supertuning forum last night and couldn't find the posts...... Anyhow, keep em coming! I'd love to see some others so I can get some ideas for mine!!!

Doc

strathy
Angler
Angler

Post by strathy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 am

The guy you,re looking for posted under the name of Reelinsane.
Did some lovely work. 11 bb round Abus. \:D/
We swapped a few private messages on the site which were lost in the crash. :crying:
He used a lathe I think, to cut out the area on the back of a stock single bb LW gear to take a 2nd bb to cut the side load to virtually nil, and it made them more precise too.
I,m trying to pluck up the courage to convert a 7001i like he did with the smaller Abus.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:06 am

strathy wrote:The guy you,re looking for posted under the name of Reelinsane.
Did some lovely work. 11 bb round Abus. \:D/
thanks! man i knew there was someone i left out, one heckuva Abu tuner :whistle:
<correlation does not equal causality>

The Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Doc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:38 am

ReelInsane, that's the guy I was talking about. He had some really awesome reels. After I get done building the 2500C, I'm gonna do a 1500C to match a Dobyns Champ Extreme 704 for finesse fishing.

If anyone can find the posts from ReelInsane, I'd love to go back for reference. Keep those pics and posts coming. If anyone knows more about tuning up these reels, post what you know! I love learning about these little old reels!

DOc

Ry24000
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ry24000 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:53 am

Hello everyone this my first post on this sight.
I was wondering about the original poster project as I am interested in something similar. Thanks