Popping out of snags > daiwa anti reverse failing?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Popping out of snags > daiwa anti reverse failing?

Post by Mike son » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:41 am

Noticed it once or twice last year and have been using the reel more this spring. Reel is a morethan pe tw. When I snag a jig, I'll do the bow and arrow trick but sometimes the arb will give and I'll get a backlash and I've seen the handle spin backwards. Thought I used to accidentally depress the thumb bar but I confirmed the handle spun. Hasn't happened while setting the hook on a fish, only doing the bow and arrow trick. Odd, anyone else experience something like this? I'm sure I'm going to need to replace the arb, is it the same as found on the steez sv tw/A? Part number G81 9801.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Popping out of snags > daiwa anti reverse failing?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:46 pm

Have you done recent maintenance to the reel? If so, did you use grease in the a-rb? If you did, flush that out and use only a light oil. Grease will make it slip randomly, especially in colder weather.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 01, 2022 2:07 am

Had this happen to my Tatula Type R years ago. Was fishing Norfork Lake in January and popped a few times hard to free a jig. I swore I saw the handle spin backwards but it never happened again. That is my current oldest reel, have done the bow and arrow trick a ton, and it has held well. This still worries me though, probably going to stop doing it on my SV105, new Zillion, etc. Just not worth hurting them when you can normally just pull the opposite way and it comes free.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun May 01, 2022 8:32 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:46 pm
Have you done recent maintenance to the reel? If so, did you use grease in the a-rb? If you did, flush that out and use only a light oil. Grease will make it slip randomly, especially in colder weather.
I did this winter for the first time, the reels probably 3yrs old with light use. Never greased the arb either. Maybe I'll flush it and re oil it before ordering a new arb. It feels smooth, only slips sometimes when doing the bow and arrow trick to pop snags free. I now just make a point keep my thumb on the spool when I do it.
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:07 am
Had this happen to my Tatula Type R years ago. Was fishing Norfork Lake in January and popped a few times hard to free a jig. I swore I saw the handle spin backwards but it never happened again. That is my current oldest reel, have done the bow and arrow trick a ton, and it has held well. This still worries me though, probably going to stop doing it on my SV105, new Zillion, etc. Just not worth hurting them when you can normally just pull the opposite way and it comes free.
I doubt the bow and arrow trick puts much strain on a reel, no more than jig hooksets.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 02, 2022 4:24 am

Mike son wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:32 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:46 pm
I did this winter for the first time, the reels probably 3yrs old with light use. Never greased the arb either. Maybe I'll flush it and re oil it before ordering a new arb. It feels smooth, only slips sometimes when doing the bow and arrow trick to pop snags free. I now just make a point keep my thumb on the spool when I do it.
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:07 am
I doubt the bow and arrow trick puts much strain on a reel, no more than jig hooksets.
The "pop" with very tight line makes sense that it causes this, the little rollers are made to shift and normally stay put in place even with a hard hookset, in this circumstance, there is a ton of pressure on them (anti reverse rollers are locked in with maximum back pressure), then a hard pop and release of tension causes them to shift loose for a second allowing the handle slight back spin. Not sure how damaging it is, but it is obvious as to why it would happen now that I think about it. Don't mean to hate on another brand, but I had a Revo STX spinning reel that did this awful one winter. Popped it HARD to free a drop shot and it would spin backwards non stop. You could flip the reverse switch a few times and it would somewhat go away, got into summer and it started working fine again so I sold it for cheap.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon May 02, 2022 11:28 am

My buddies Lew's were doing that during our last tournament. Pissed him off as he claimed they never had done that before.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Tue May 03, 2022 7:32 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 4:24 am
The "pop" with very tight line makes sense that it causes this, the little rollers are made to shift and normally stay put in place even with a hard hookset, in this circumstance, there is a ton of pressure on them (anti reverse rollers are locked in with maximum back pressure), then a hard pop and release of tension causes them to shift loose for a second allowing the handle slight back spin. Not sure how damaging it is, but it is obvious as to why it would happen now that I think about it. Don't mean to hate on another brand, but I had a Revo STX spinning reel that did this awful one winter. Popped it HARD to free a drop shot and it would spin backwards non stop. You could flip the reverse switch a few times and it would somewhat go away, got into summer and it started working fine again so I sold it for cheap.
Interesting. I don't have much knowledge of how the anti reverse roller bearings work so thanks for sharing.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed May 04, 2022 4:53 pm

I now just make a point keep my thumb on the spool when I do it.

Smart idea.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:37 am

My Tatula 200 is doing this. I'll the rigging or unrigging the bait from a hangar and backwards the handle goes. It's fine reeling under load or jerking. I'm guessing the anti reverse is dirty or going out.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:30 pm

yup bow and arrow trick or for some reason we call it buggy whipping a snag out just seems ro destroy anti reverse bearing. older daiwa spinning reels didnt last long on the river cause of this. its why i only biy cheaper spinning reels now cause ill just destroy the A/R in the same amount of time on a higher end reel. had it hapoen on a couple older cassting reels too.