Supertuning up a Daiwa Luvias spin reel?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Supertuning up a Daiwa Luvias spin reel?

Post by ultralight » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:26 pm

OK, have a Luvias spin reel coming. Really looking forward to that and am wondering who seels upgraded bearings for these? I'm not looking for anyone to handhold me through the process but am wanting to replace some of the 'shims/washers' with bearings and perhaps upgrade the bearings.

Did a search on this forum for Luvias/Airity etc but turned nothing up.

Can any one help with this?

Thanks,
UL

Big Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Supertuning up a Daiwa Luvias spin reel?

Post by Big Red » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:40 am

As you are aware of the vast majority all bearing upgrades, for obvious reasons, are only done to the bearings that support the spools on casting reels. While it would be possible to replace/upgrade shims/washers/bearings on a spinning reel, I personally would question the cost/benefits of such an undertaking.

You can’t gain one iota of distance on a spinning reel with the mods you’re considering and the only benefit I can think of would be a slight improvement in “smoothness.â€

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shortlite » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:04 am

Well, a smoother retrieve is always a good thing. The only downside is the extra expense, possible added weight, and negligible performance gains with regards to frame bearings.

Putting them in areas where critical support is needed makes sense, but the frame and other parts must maintain the alignment in order for you to see any benefits.

Aside from that, other possible upgrades are handles/knobs (aesthetics), and pretty much the only performance upgrade you can do, change out the drag system/washers.

Ted

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks for the responses.

Well, my logic is the following:
1. Daiwa Airity, the top line equivilent to the Luvias, has a few more bearings. i figure I could upgrade for the few washers into bearings.
2. Not all the bearings in the Luvias are CRBB and that too could be upgraded for corrosion. Admittedly, it is unlikely that water would get in there.

Asking simply becuase I can...:) and I did not think that bearings would be that expensive to add.

UL

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shortlite » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:38 am

Makes sense to me.
If you can, why not? If the bearings don't cost as much, and are the right size, then go for it. However, relating cost to benefits there definitely will be a poitn of diminishing returns.

Forgot about corrosion resistance there, thanks for that. Was more concerned with things like bearing spool support, shaft support, bail roller performance, etc. Corrosion resistant bearings in key spots like the line roller is a no-brainer!

Tricked out Luvias! Sounds sweet. Only wish some of these aftremarket options weren't limited to the higher end reels.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:09 am

Well....the trick now is to find the bearings.....:) I figure if I upgrade it to 12 bearings, that would be one more than the Airity so I'd have a super Airity. Just kidding.

UL

Itchy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Itchy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:14 pm

All i can think of off the top of my head is the handle knob its already a cork knob but it may be able to take two bearings. Not sure if it has any or not Im gona break down my luvias tommorow for cleaning. I think i have extra handle bearings laying around ill let ya know.

Itchy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Itchy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:15 pm

broke down my luvias 2000 and cleaned her out. This what i found.

the roller bearing size is 3x6x2.5 incase ya want to upgrade that.

two bearings i noted could be replace support the worm shaft parts # 49 and # 52 on the scems. #49 is also 3x6x2.5 bushing so you can just straight plop in a bearing in its place.

part #52 is another animal. It is not a normal shaped bushing it has a spacer attached to it the spacer also steps down in size. it measures 3x7x5.75 combinewith part number #51 that is just a spacer/washer it comes to 3x7x6. best i could figure you could use a 3x7x2.5 or 3x7x2 bearing in its place and fasion a spacer either from scratch or from the original bushing you are replacing and it should work perfectly.

the knob on my luvias is rivited on so you would have to either change out the shaft and use a doner shaft from a baitcaster handle that been upgrade to carbon. This would require some knowledge of tapping threads and drilling. Or buy the machined handle.

Anyway theres 4 extra bearings for ya. I didnt notice anywhere else where a bearing could be added...

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:07 am

Itchy,

Super!! You're my hero......:)

Now anyone else want to be a hero and let us know if the 2506 or the 2004 Luvias has the same bearing sizes as the 2000.....?

Again Itchy, THANKS!

UL

ps: Anyone also know who in the USA sells CRBB type bearings?

Itchy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Itchy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:27 am

There are 3 CRB bearings in the luvias. 1 is the line roller and the other two are on the spool shaft.

i have an 2004 also but its brand new. just got it on sale from you know who. It seems to be missing a bearing under the spool. I dont know what the function of that bearing is, possible it supports the spool.

One other thing grease the bail system my older luvias'es and this new one all seem to be under greased, my first ones bail system wore pretty bad the first season. So since then all new spinning get grease immediately.

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shortlite » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:08 am

Hey there UL.

I think the 2004 would have the same bearing sizes, as a 1500 and 2000 have the same size body, but different rotor and spool.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:22 pm

Itchy,

When you say, 3X6X2.5, do you mean measurements in millimeters.

THANKS again for all who responded. VERY helpful!

UL

Itchy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Itchy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:20 am

yes millimeters