New Citica 100d problem ????

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New Citica 100d problem ????

Post by bereta1 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:15 am

Just took my new reel out of the box and noticed the reel handle backing up 1/8-1/4. Seems the superstopper anti isnt working Is this a problem and how do I fix it???? :cry:

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: New Citica 100d problem ????

Post by ChuckE » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:32 am

bereta,
There will always be some backplay in the reel, but 1/4" is way too much. It sounds like the anti-reverse clutch bearing is not working correctly, and maybe even the backup reverse.

You indicated that was a new reel. If it were me, I'd send it back, since it's way too early for that reel to start experiencing anti-reverse bearing problems or problems with the backup reverse.

Chuck

bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bereta1 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:50 am

None of my Shimano reel handles backup. The anti-reverse bearings have no backplay. Do they make a replacement bearing better than Shimano? I have a Curado 1oo and when I bought it, it did the same thing. I sent it back and they fixed it, but, it was gone forever. My new 200 was fine. TKU for your quik response.

ReelDoc/KS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ReelDoc/KS » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:13 am

bereta1 wrote:None of my Shimano reel handles backup. The anti-reverse bearings have no backplay. Do they make a replacement bearing better than Shimano? I have a Curado 1oo and when I bought it, it did the same thing. I sent it back and they fixed it, but, it was gone forever. My new 200 was fine. TKU for your quik response.
I believe ChuckE means to return it to your dealer for an exchange and let them deal with it.

BTW - The BNT2396 Anti-Reverse Ratchet which the Backup Stopper engages has 9 "teeth". Therefore, if the IAR Roller Clutch were not working at all, the handle could possibly move backward 40° which equals approximately 1 1/3" at the end of an 80mm handle.

Doc

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:17 am

ReelDoc/KS wrote:Therefore, if the IAR Roller Clutch were not working at all, the handle could possibly move backward 40° which equals approximately 1 1/3" at the end of an 80mm handle.

Doc
now THAT's scary :shock: ... i'd freak out if one of my baitcasters did that, but at least the problem would be obvious :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bereta1 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:22 am

Do they make a replacement IAR bearing? I'd rather do it myself. I bought it thru Delo's and I'm sure they would exchange, I may get another just like it. This is 2 100"s that I've had the same problem. TKU

ReelDoc/KS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ReelDoc/KS » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:07 pm

bereta1 wrote:Do they make a replacement IAR bearing? I'd rather do it myself. I bought it thru Delo's and I'm sure they would exchange, I may get another just like it. This is 2 100"s that I've had the same problem. TKU
I seriously doubt you need to replace the IAR Roller Clutch. I suspect it's just overgreased. I'd pull the IAR Roller Clutch, degrease it and the inner tube, then lube with 1-2 drop of oil. That should take care of your problem.

Doc

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:38 pm

Reel Docs,
Good info on clutch bearing failure and handle travel. This is the 2nd 100d that bereta said was acting the same. I'm curious if the Citica 100d is noted for having clutch bearings overlubed from the factory?

Chuck

bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bereta1 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:07 pm

The bearing was full of grease. How is the best way to clean it. Had the same problem wiyh my new Curado 100. Thanks guys.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:58 pm

Rob,
Wipe the excess grease away with a lint free towel, rag, wipe, etc. Then clean the bearing by soaking and periodically swirling it in a jar filled with a moderate solution of Simple Green (1 Part Simple Green to 5-10 parts water). Replace the Simple Green as often as necessary. When the grease is removed, rinse it with fresh water and then allow it to dry before lubing. Just make sure it is dry before lubing. You might be able to blow it out lightly with a can of compressed air (keyboard can of air) to speed up drying.

Chuck

ReelDoc/KS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ReelDoc/KS » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:57 pm

ChuckE wrote:Reel Docs,
Good info on clutch bearing failure and handle travel. This is the 2nd 100d that bereta said was acting the same. I'm curious if the Citica 100d is noted for having clutch bearings overlubed from the factory?

Chuck
Chuck,
Shimano reels come from the factory with a vast differences in the amount of grease used during assembly. Some had just a light coat, while others have enough to grease my Tahoe! :shock: It appears to simply be a matter of who the assembler is and their preference as to the amount of grease to use.
bereta1 wrote:The bearing was full of grease. How is the best way to clean it. Had the same problem wiyh my new Curado 100. Thanks guys.
I clean IAR bearings in naphtha (lighter fluid such as Ronsonol) instead of Simple Green. Simple Green is fine for most things, but you have to dissolve the grease to get it out of the roller clutch. Simple Green simply will NOT dissolve the grease. I soak the IAR in naphtha in a medicine cup (such as comes on NyQuil). Agitate it accasionally and change the naphtha when it gets discolored. Repeat until the naphtha remains clear. Allow to dry completely before lubing. :)

Doc