Drag Upgrade for TD Luna 203

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
termigator
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Drag Upgrade for TD Luna 203

Post by termigator » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:05 am

I finally got the Carbontex washers and smooth polished SS washers for my Luna 203 and I thought I would share my experience here. I personally found this experience very enlightening and I hope other Luna owners will find this helpful! :D

I first took off the handle assembly and it seemed quite easy enough. Note that the parts are lined up in order of assembly/disassembly.

The small metal washers were the next to come off. I don't recall the diagram showing which way the bent washers go, so be sure to keep them in the same order.

Next I took the two screws holding the cover on. The cover comes off pretty easily after that. Note how the top metal washer is actually smaller than all the other washers and doesn't even cover the entire fiber washer.

After taking the drag assembly out, I lined them up in order to compare to the Carbontex washers and the original washers. The original ones are on the top. Notice how the Carbontex washers are wider. Also, the top washer I got from Smoooth Drag is also the same size as the Carbontex washers.

After covering all the new washers with Cal's Grease I put them in. Notice how the top washer covers the entire surface of the other washers now. Nice!

Here's the "finished" product with the original drag components. It seems to me that Daiwa skimped on the Luna in the drag department. Sure glad Smoooth Drag had both the Carbontex and SS washers. Way to go Smoooth Drag!! :D
Last edited by termigator on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Drag Upgrade for ITD Luna 203

Post by ChuckE » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:16 am

termigator,
Great report and nice upgrade. Thanks for sharing!

Chuck

termigator
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Drag Upgrade for ITD Luna 203

Post by termigator » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:59 pm

I recently ordered the drive and pinion gear for my Stella 2500FB. If I don't screw it all up, I'll share that too! :lol:

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Drag Upgrade for TD Luna 203

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:02 pm

Very nice, almost like a how to guide. Im saving this thread link for sure, thanks. The reels even nicer :D

termigator
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by termigator » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm

I also changed out the bushings in the handle to ball bearings when I received my set of ten from VXB, but that was last week and I didn't even think about taking pictures. (Probably because it seemed so straightforward) I'm sure it's been shown many times already anyways. ;)

njsaltangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by njsaltangler » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:36 am

Hey Guys can anybody give me some more info on this Upgrade done by Termigator as, I have a Brand New (Luna 253) that I would like to do this same Drag upgrade for as the reel will be used only for Saltwater Fishing but I honestly don't know anything about where to get these parts (As I have never done a Drag upgrade on any of my reels!) lol and what exactly I need to do it so, I would appreciate any help I can get from anybody ok and here are the ? I would like to get somebody's help on.

Will doing this Drag Upgrade make a big difference from the Original Stock Luna Drag in terms of let's say more (Total Max Drag Pressure) or not much difference? Does anybody know the Before & After upgrade Max Pds I would get from doing this change? Also willit be much Smoother than the orginal Stock Drag?

How much will the Upgrade Parts cost me for this Luna 253 does anybody know?

What exactly do I need to get (Like How many Drag Washers and What kind do I need like the Carbonex & Stainless Steel too? and Do I need to get all 7 New Washers to make this upgrade properly? or do I only need 3 Carbonex Washers?

And finally, where do I get the Carbonex and Smooth Stainless washer parts for this Luna does anybody have the info where I can get these Parts? (i.e. Company Name? Website Link? Phone #? etc.)

Thanks to anybody out there who responds to answer these ? for me I appreciate your help ok.

njsaltangler
NJsaltangler

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:32 am

njsaltangler wrote:Hey Guys can anybody give me some more info on this Upgrade done by Termigator as, I have a Brand New (Luna 253) that I would like to do this same Drag upgrade...
all the info above applies to your 253. the 203 and 253 share alot of the same parts incl. the drag assembly. smoothdrag.com can supply all the parts from this post.

you can also PM "Dawn" from smoothdrag as she is a TT member... ;)

njsaltangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by njsaltangler » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:10 pm

Hey Zen Thanks for the info & the Contact person (Dawn at Smooth Drag.com) I appreciate it ok as I have talked to her.

But my ? to you or anybody else who can give me an answer or their opinion on one more thing I am still curious about and that's, Do I really need to get new SS Washers or can I keep the (Luna's Original Stock SS Washer's?) (Minus the Large Top Washer - Which I will replace with a Larger SS Top Washer from Smooth Drag) and the 3 Carbontex ones.

So do you think that this will do the trick for more Stopping Power as the lady Dawn at SmoothDrag also mentioned to me that alot of guys just get the Carbontex Washers for an upgrade. How about the Grease Do I need to get Cal's Grease for these washers or will any High Quality Grease do?

Thanks again for your Help,

njsaltangler
NJsaltangler

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:33 am

Stay with grease that have qualities specifically formulated for drag use -- they perform so much better. I prefer the Cal's, but have used other drag greases in a pinch.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

njsaltangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by njsaltangler » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:40 pm

Chuck Thanks for the info! But besides Cal's Grease what other Grease would you recommend for a Drag? Is Hot Sauce ok for Drag's you think or No? or Anything else I can use that would also be good if I dont have the Cal's?

Thanks again,

Joe
NJsaltangler

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:38 am

No, Hot Sauce and other reel greases will make the drag jerky and it won't run as smooth. You can get Cal's from Dawn at smoothdrag, or Shimano Drag Grease from BPS, Cabelas or Dick's. Ace's Drag Grease is no longer available.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator