Abu Garcia Morrum SX1601C question...

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ksdog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Abu Garcia Morrum SX1601C question...

Post by ksdog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 am

I bought a new morrum off ebay, no box no papers. Just took the side off to access the spool to tie on line. These little plastic brake parts just fell off and I had to do a little crawling on the ground to find 'em. There are two arms with those brakes on the end. The brakes seem to ride freely, not seated like other centrifugal breaks. I thought, man this is going to be a casting nightmare. Spooled up, put on 1/4 oz practice plug, went outside and played for about 45 mins. Casting both into the Kansas wind and with it. Spool control and casting distance seemed really good. Question is....is there a better after market brake system for this reel ? And do I have the IVCB model ? When I bid on this reel, I had the impression the brakes would be adjustable other than the spool tensioner. Advice please.

mfgrolf
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Abu Garcia Morrum SX1601C question...

Post by mfgrolf » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 pm

sorry for reviving this old post but to answer your question:

No, this is not the IVCB model, its the basic, "hispeed" called one. There are several versions around, one with magnetic brakes, the IVCB one and this what you have there. Your version is not adjustable from outside, tension knob is the only way to control your lure type/cast.
The pins fall off just like that which is a good reason to never ever open the reel in an environment where you can't find them if they fall off what they do ;-)
There are aftermarket conversions and a 4 pin brake system available in Japan, however, after these years its hard to find any available source. hedgehog and avail are the shops that do provide some more stuff for these reels.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:17 am

Twelve and a half years later !!! ????

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:21 am

Zimbass wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:17 am
Twelve and a half years later !!! ????
Wanted to be absolutely, positive, you know, sleep on it!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:50 am

Well at least someone finally answered his question. Maybe that's why he doesn't post here anymore, since before the 1st crash! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:49 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:50 am
Well at least someone finally answered his question. Maybe that's why he doesn't post here anymore, since before the 1st crash! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe he got caught up in that whole time-space continuum thingy