I'm perplexed

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: I'm perplexed

Post by ChuckE » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:36 pm

Scot,
PM sent.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Oh wow Scot, you completely blew me away with this post. That is awsome work you did! These SOLdiers are some sweet little reels, im so glad I finally got mine. I didnt know the Pixy and Sol were so closely manufactured. My Sols stock for now, I used it over the last two days and was very impressed with it's stock performance. To be honest, when I first got it I wasnt expecting anything all that great until upgrades were done but man was I wrong. You really did a fantastic job fabricateing that and like I said, im very impressed :clap:. Cant wait to see what else you do with it.

Are there any benefits to the gold and red IZE spools for these reels aside from looks?
Last edited by GAMEOVER on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:09 pm

@ Vladimir.....It sounds as if you too have run through all these modifications and I'm also not surprised that as you indicated, braid is not much of an issue because it tends to lay flat and does not have the natuaral tendency to want to straighten itself out. I use eight pound test line (mono/flouro) on these type of reels "generally speaking". I was able to succesfully spool up etc. w/out getting the line wrapped axially around the spool shafts but as soon as I set the rod down to tie a bait, the line would constantly end up around the spool shaft. Let's say that collectively we all determine there is not a big performance upgrade...it is still in my opinion an upgrade because as the morons we are...we just HAVE to have the pretty colored spools etc. which leaves the stock Pixy spools laying in a drawer collecting dust which could otherwise be utilized for light line days. If nothing else, it's an efficiency upgrade because there is less waste.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:21 am

Scot wrote:...Oh and Shorebound...sorry bro but I spoke a little soon...turns out I don't have a spare Pixy spool after all....sorry.
Without even thinking where I will get the funds to pay you, I was about to shoot you a pm :lol: but don't worry, bro. I'm sure I'll be able to find one. Thanks :D

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Scot wrote:...there is not a big performance upgrade...

Scot,
Sorry, I consider it exactly as a big performance upgrade. More over, this approach imo more effective and significant, than purchase and upgrades of Pixy.
I can add only: it is needed or strictly carry out such 4 rules (if possible), or use your agreeing rings.
Yours V.

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:04 pm

Vladimir...I don't think you were saying so...but I hope I didn't come across as saying I have found no performance upgrade...I was simply trying to state that even if there was not...the use of all spools you own could be used which is a good thing.

As of today, I've thrown another reel in the mix...I just received an Alphas Ito a.i. :evil22:

I'm not going to beat a dead horse in comparing it to the standard Alphas/Pixy/Sol etc because a simple search will reveal that it is basically the same reel as the Sol/Alphas. One notable difference...based upon dimensions..the stock Alphas Ito spool is IDENTICAL to the 'Ize spool which is available for the Sol/Alphas and of course differs from the stock offering on those two reels. A Sol is a Sol is an Alphas is an Alphas is an ITO is an ITO...they are all the same save cosmetic appointments and of course the 'Ize/Ito spool. Think of it this way...if you want to buy a Sol for retail $229.00 and the 'Ize spool for approximately $60.00 +/-.......$289.00 buys you an Ito with paint....***ATTENTION***...sit down for this most Honorable Cracker :lol: ....if you don't like the paint on the Sol...do what Ito did....drop it in a tumbler using media at about a 320 grit and you'll have yourself an Ito. Basically they just pulled the frames and built the reels prior to painting but I think it's cool looking....my searches described it as robotic or cyborg looking....I see a totally Industrial look and as a Machinist I say that rules :) In use beside my Sol...I think it will become one of my favorites.....I just love the shape of these reels!

With regard to my testing, I have nothing to add at this point because I just haven't gotten all that scientific and comparable quite yet. I'm going to take the time to get the rings made tomorrow that I promised to some folks here (hopefully). I'd rather hear your feedback than my own quite frankly although I will share mine. My limited testing/use tells me that the Presso spool is going to be the cats pajamas with these reels though :)

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:11 am

Scot wrote:***ATTENTION***...sit down for this most Honorable Cracker :lol: ....if you don't like the paint on the Sol...do what Ito did....drop it in a tumbler using media at about a 320 grit and you'll have yourself an Ito.

Heresy!!! Blasphemy!!! With a large dose of pure genius!! Where's the best place to get a Presso spool?

=D>
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:45 am

mhood wrote:
Scot wrote:***ATTENTION***...sit down for this most Honorable Cracker :lol: ....if you don't like the paint on the Sol...do what Ito did....drop it in a tumbler using media at about a 320 grit and you'll have yourself an Ito.

Heresy!!! Blasphemy!!! With a large dose of pure genius!! Where's the best place to get a Presso spool?

=D>
Best pricing I've found is with Plat . Last I checked he only had red ones and I'm certain with the availability of Halloween Orange ones...you'll have to look elsewhere :)

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:11 am

Scot,

Tell me it's not so ! I just sold my Sol and ordered a ITO ALPHAS 103-Ai. Should I have just looked at changing spools?

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:01 am

DougL58 wrote:Scot,

Tell me it's not so ! I just sold my Sol and ordered a ITO ALPHAS 103-Ai. Should I have just looked at changing spools?
Well...you could have but the Ai has its own mojo going on...you'll like it.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:29 am

Sold my Sol... Soul.... I crack me up! I can dig the Mojo! Thanks

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:04 am

Good afternoon all,

I spent 5 hours testing Scott's reducing rings. All I can say is wow!. The reducing rings and Pixy spool make the Alphas a true light tackle reel on the same level as the Pixy. Only difference is that the Alphas is slightly heavier.
I tested both the Pixy and Alphas Finesse on my custom Mattman made Light power casting stick. I tested on the following:

River2Sea Bubble popper 45
1/16 oz Brewer spider slider head and 4 in finesse worm
Mann's Tiny 1-minus
1/8 0z rat-l-trap

Both reels were set up with Mag braking set half-way and cast control knob set so there was no side to side movement of the spool.

There is no difference in the casting performance of the two reels.

as for casting performance difference between stock alphas spool and pixy spool. with aplhas spool i had over-run issues with 1/16 oz Brewer spider slider head / finesse worm and Mann's Tiny 1-minus, but no such problems with the pixy spool. I could not measure but I could definitely cast further with Pixy spool on all of the test lures.

Scott, Great work! The reducing rings are definitely awesome.

BTW - I caught a 5 lb'er on the 3rd cast with the Rver2Sea popper :D

Mike