Curado 100D Bearings ABEC 7's Vs %'s

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curado 100D Bearings ABEC 7's Vs %'s

Post by nfnband » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:48 am

OK bearing Recommendations? I've used boca in the past and have no complaints. What about the TG's?

Boca #5's for $19.95 or Tg's #7's for about $21 each?

What are the pros and cons of the two.

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Curado 100D Bearings ABEC 7's Vs %'s

Post by KoYak » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:17 am

I have not tried bocas but i do have the TGs in my Curado 100D. And the TGs are a sweet upgrade. Able to cast lighter weights, smoother, longer casts, etc. You have to remember to engage at lease one more brake.

Mike

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:15 am

I'm testing TG Abec 7 ceramic hybrids in 3x8x4, 3x10x4 and 5x11x4 in some of my Daiwas. I've found:

- They will require use of a lighter spool oil, to get the best performance from them. (You can use them with Yellow Rocket Fuel or Hot Sauce, and still get a decent performance gain.) However, if you go to a lighter spool oil they are noisier than Boca Abec 5 ceramic hybrids on the same oil. [Oust Met Oil works pretty good on the TG's - you'll get a good 8 to 12 hours of total reel time before you need to relube with Oust.]
- They will generally require more frequent lubrication than Boca Abec 5 ceramic hybrids (even if you oil them with Yellow Rocket Fuel or Hot Sauce oil). [I think the TG's don't hold oil as well as Bocas, and a lot gets initially cast off.]
- Tournament Rocket Fuel works great in them, but I've found they need to be oiled way too often to be of much practical use on Tournament Rocket Fuel.
- The TG's will be more easily fouled by water or debris. As such, you should expect that you'll need to clean them a little more often than your Bocas.

If you do upgrade the bearings to TG's, you will see some improvement in casting performance, but only you will be able to determine if the cost or additional service is justified. How much you use your reel, conditions you fish in, how difficult it is to service them, presentations you employ, etc. should factor into your decision.

...just my experience so far.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado 100D Bearings ABEC 7's Vs 5's

Post by nfnband » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:13 am

I use RED Rocket Fuel tosssing 3-5 onces with my surf gear?
Is this to thick for lighter freshwater use?

recap TG's are smoother, and cast further over Boca but
Boca are quieter and easier to maintain.

ChuckE wrote:I'm testing TG Abec 7 ceramic hybrids in 3x8x4, 3x10x4 and 5x11x4 in some of my Daiwas. I've found:

- They will require use of a lighter spool oil, to get the best performance from them. (You can use them with Yellow Rocket Fuel or Hot Sauce, and still get a decent performance gain.) However, if you go to a lighter spool oil they are noisier than Boca Abec 5 ceramic hybrids on the same oil. [Oust Met Oil works pretty good on the TG's - you'll get a good 8 to 12 hours of total reel time before you need to relube with Oust.]
- They will generally require more frequent lubrication than Boca Abec 5 ceramic hybrids (even if you oil them with Yellow Rocket Fuel or Hot Sauce oil). [I think the TG's don't hold oil as well as Bocas, and a lot gets initially cast off.]
- Tournament Rocket Fuel works great in them, but I've found they need to be oiled way too often to be of much practical use on Tournament Rocket Fuel.
- The TG's will be more easily fouled by water or debris. As such, you should expect that you'll need to clean them a little more often than your Bocas.

If you do upgrade the bearings to TG's, you will see some improvement in casting performance, but only you will be able to determine if the cost or additional service is justified. How much you use your reel, conditions you fish in, how difficult it is to service them, presentations you employ, etc. should factor into your decision.

...just my experience so far.

Chuck

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:26 am

nfn asked:
I hardly ever cast anything >1 oz, and have found Red Rocket Fuel just too thick. I prefer lighter oils.

Chuck

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:50 am

I'll pick up some yellow for freshwater ... thanks
ChuckE wrote:nfn asked:
I hardly ever cast anything >1 oz, and have found Red Rocket Fuel just too thick. I prefer lighter oils.

Chuck

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:06 am

How'd you know it's time to relube?

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:18 am

Sound is usually the first thing I notice when high speed spool bearings are starting to need lube:

-Stainless steel bearings will often begin to emit a very subtle or light Screech, Squeel or Howl. The noise may be intermittent at first, and may become more constant at higher spool speeds.

- Ceramic Hybrid bearings will often begin with a light and subtle Rustling Sound, which will often sound the same at all spool speeds.

However, casting distance can also be affected as the bearing needs to be lubed (assuming the same effort is put into the cast, same weight lure, etc.). In severe cases, noticeable vibration may even result when casting the reel.

With time, you should be able to estimate how often you'll need to service the spool bearings. For instance, many know they need to service spool bearings every couple days, at the end of a long day, after rinsing their reel, etc.; depending on use and experience. Here's a link to a table that may help:
http://www.tackletour.com/articlebearings301pg3.html

Chuck

conniek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by conniek » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:29 pm

are you talking about TG's ABEC 7 cERAMICs, they are about $41.50 for a set of two. in fact I don't think tony sells stainless bearings at all, just the ceramics. I could be wrong, but if he does, i sure have not known it all these years. I think $10 bucks or so for AB EC 7 stainless is probably a good price.