quantum reel

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
boogie
Angler
Angler

quantum reel

Post by boogie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:04 am

Hi guys, I have a quantum spinning reel, that when I bring in the fish, the gears grind and make it difficult to reel in. It only does that when I have a fish on, works great when there is no weight at the end. Anyone ever have that problem ? What causes this ?

Thanks

Boogie
Poisson On !

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: quantum reel

Post by ChuckE » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:16 pm

boogie,
It could be a number of things, from minor to major:

- You have sand or debris caught between spool and rotor, and the lateral force put on the spool (from a hooked fish), causes the foreign material to feel rough while the spool turns.
- You have sand or debris in the gears, and the force cause by a hooked fish causes the foreign material to catch in the gears while cranking, not allowing them to track smoothly/properly.
- You have debris trapped in the drag disks, and while you crank the drag slips and feels like gears grinding, but it is really the drag disks.
- Your gears need to be lubricated and don't track smoothly when under load.
- A bearing or bushing supporting the gears is in need of cleaning and lube, or is damaged.
- A bearing or bushing supporting the handle is in need of cleaning and lube, or is damaged.

Here is how you want to lubricate the reel:
- Grease: Main Gear, Pinion Gear, Worm Shaft, Worm Gear, Oscillator Gear, Continuous Anti-Reverse Clutch Sleeve, and Anti-Reverse ratchet Bushings.
- Oil: Handle Knobs (both ends), Bail Hinge (both side of rotor), Kick Lever Mechanism, Bail Spring, Bail Spring Holders, Roller Bushing, and Ball Bearings.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator