Just got a Sol, what upgrades?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
outrnm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Just got a Sol, what upgrades?

Post by outrnm » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:33 pm

Well got a sol :lol: I searched and read some threads and 800 topics came up. What are some MUST upgrades for these reels? Or just send it to DR?

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Just got a Sol, what upgrades?

Post by Bass Pro » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Have you fished it stock? I kept saying that I was going to upgrade my sol, but each time I fish it I just can't find much room for improvement.

I did upgrade the drag to Carbontex and I am sure that some ceramic spool bearings would improve the casting, however, I've yet to want better casting out of this reel. The sol is great. Probably the funnest reel to fish that I own.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:01 am

Outrum,

As Bass Pro said the Sol is one sweet reel right out of the box.

A carbontex drag and ABEC 5 ceramic spool bearing upgrade will help the performance of the reel a great deal.

The addition of a TD-Z handle, nut and nut cover will smooth out the winding (cranking) of the reel and add 4 bearings to the reel count. You can get the handle, handle nut and cover from Daiwa for about $45.

If you need help or want me to do the upgrade PM me.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:32 am

outrnm,
Congratulations on the new reel! I'd use the reel for a while, to make sure it works ok and to get used to how it performs. It is a nice reel right out of the box.

However, one of the things I'd definitely consider is eventually switching over to different lubricants. (The grease and oil that comes in the Sol from the factory is OK to get you through the season, but you'll eventually need to add more.) I don't suggest mixing lubricants, so that may be the time when you want to switch, or you can do it when you do the other upgrades.

No one mentioned these yet, they are probably the last upgrades I'd make (if at all), after the previously mentioned ones. They are not necessarily "must do" mods:

- There is a bushing on the level wind worm, that can be replaced with a bearing and a smaller bushing. It will improve level wind performance.
- Replacing the spool with an Alphas ito spool will improve casting performance slightly. The Alphas ito spool has a tuned braking inductor that provides better braking response in a wind or when casting lighter baits.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

outrnm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by outrnm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Thats for the comments guys. I will fish it for a season and when its time to relube i think i will just mail it to DR and have him put some stuff in while at it :lol:

avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by avid » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:52 am

I bought a sol when they first came out.
Purdiest dang fishin reel I ever did see.
But the handle bothered me right from the start.
It was a little loose and the knobs rattled a bit.
Unfortunately the knobs cannot be tightened or replaced on the sol, so I bought the TD handle for it. big improvement. I seem to recall paying $99.00 for it but could be mistaken.
I was fishing with it for a while but I noticed that almost everytime I got a backlash it was with this reel. I tried a few different things, but I was defintitely getting more overruns with the sol than my TD-Z's
I sent it off to DR. He put in ABEC 5 ceramic spool washers and carbontex drag.
It is one sweet reel. I'm a happy camper, but I can't help but wonder why I just didn't buy another TD-Z
PS - I had none of these problems with my Fuego.
Sweet as sugar right out of the box.

wiper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by wiper » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:31 pm

Just one sol? Everybody needs at least three :big grin:

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:02 pm

wiper wrote:Just one sol? Everybody needs at least three :big grin:
Wiper needs 3 Souls so he has 2 to fall back on when he sins and buys Shimano!

wiper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by wiper » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:13 pm

=))))

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:30 pm

DougL58 wrote:
wiper wrote:Just one sol? Everybody needs at least three :big grin:
Wiper needs 3 Souls so he has 2 to fall back on when he sins and buys Shimano!
:lol:

Nothing wrong with either company, Ill come out and admit in now though. I can no longer hide it or lie to myself.. im a Daiwa guy. I still like and will buy Shimano though if they make something I like.

--

About the Sol. Man I love this little reel . Get an IZE spool, some spool bearings, TDZ/Alphas handle (or ZPI/BA w/e), and some Carbontex (even though the drags suprising in its stock form) and your set. I actually chose wanting the Sol over the Alphas. If I want Magnesium I just pick up Mrs.Steez .

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:21 pm

Gameover wrote:
Ill come out and admit in now though. I can no longer hide it or lie to myself.. im a Daiwa guy.
Ah come on now GO. REALLY? I never reaized that. :lol:

Apologies for being off topic but I couldn't help myself. Yeah, the Sol/Alpha are VERY interesting reels.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:27 pm

wantthat2 wrote:Gameover wrote:
Ill come out and admit in now though. I can no longer hide it or lie to myself.. im a Daiwa guy.
Ah come on now GO. REALLY? I never reaized that. :lol:

Apologies for being off topic but I couldn't help myself. Yeah, the Sol/Alpha are VERY interesting reels.
:lol: