TDA153HSTA sideplate bearing

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
fhogsett42
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

TDA153HSTA sideplate bearing

Post by fhogsett42 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:52 pm

I am new to the forum. I just bought a Daiwa TDA153HSTA and thought I would install some ceramic bearings. First, I cannot get the bearing out of the sideplate, and second, I did not really try that hard as it looks like the bearing has an outer diameter of 11 mm instead of the 8 mm on other reels of this type. Does anybody know how to get the bearing out, and what is the correct bearing size. If 11 mm OD, then where can I get one.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: TDA153HSTA sideplate bearing

Post by ChuckE » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:16 pm

fhogsett,
Welcome to the forum.

You will need (1) 5x11x4 and (1) 3x10x4 bearing for the spool. The vast majority of recent Daiwa reels use 5x11x4 and 3x8x4 in these bearings, and there are only a few exceptions.

The bearing that is in the center of the palm plate magnet set, is held in with a thin spring clip that fits into grooves in the bearing socket. You can remove it by putting a thumb over the bearing to cover part of it, and using a small toothpick, awl, etc to push a side of the clip out of the groove. (You put a thumb over as much of it as you can, to keep the clip from flying out and getting lost.) There are other tips for removing the clip in the sticky that is at the top of this forum.

The bearing mounted on the spool is held on with a pin. The pin will need to be removed before you can get the old one off. Again, the sticky at the top of this forum has more tips on removing the pin and other maintenance tips.

You can get upgraded ceramic hybrid bearings from Boca Bearings(bocabearing.com), ZPI (japantackle a sponsor, see the picture at the top of this page), VXB (vxb.com), or TG Rocket Bearings (Heartland Tackle). You will find more info on upgraded bearings, oil, etc. in previous posts in this section of the forum, and you can also find info on bearings in the Review Archives (at the bottom of the review archives look for Bearings 101, 201 and 301 articles).

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

fhogsett42
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: TDA153HSTA sideplate bearing

Post by fhogsett42 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:22 am

Chuck, Thanks for the reply. After purchasing a small pick with an angled tip, I was able to get the palm side bearing out. I have never seen one this tight, particularily in a new real.

Measurement confirmed 3 x 10 x 4 mm bearing for the palm side location. Jim at Heartland Tackle says he can special order a set of TG Si3N4 bearings that will also include the 5 x 11 x 4 size.

Some time ago I made some pliers similar to what Jim describes on his web site with a drilled hole in one of the jaws and pushing the retainer pin out through the hole makes it very easy to replace the other bearing.

Thank again