My Screamin' Sol!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

My Screamin' Sol!

Post by jtrotter » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm

Switched from Stradic to Daiwa Sol2500 and love them, but after some time of use the roller bearing starts to scream. I asked local repair shop and emailed Daiwa, but did not get any real help... suggested lite oil on the housing area where the bearing itself rests. that works good for a trip or two then it starts to scream again anytime you put a load on it. Neither of my 2500 sols did this in the beginning. I use braid on each. Any ideas? Solutions?

thanks.
I bleed Orange and Blue.... Go Gators!

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: My Screamin' Sol!

Post by tonym » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:38 pm

Sounds like you need to replace the roller bearing.
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: My Screamin' Sol!

Post by ChuckE » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:53 pm

You might disassemble and clean the roller guide bearing, check it for damage and re-oil it if found o.k. If you shore fish, the bearing and roller can especially pickup debris, sand, etc. and foul or even damage the bearing.

When you disassemble it, make sure you have the schematic handy, and check to ensure the washer and o-ring are correctly aligned and orientated during reassembly. If the washers are not in correct position, the coated roller itself can rub and cause noise. The bearing can even freeeze up and won't be turning, and with braid might sound like a screech. Debris can also cause the coated roller not to turn, even though the bearing is fine.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator