Reel lube, what brand and why?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reel lube, what brand and why?

Post by Cagey » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:19 am

This has been a very interesting thread to read.
I appreciate the info in this thread and plan on looking into some of those mentioned.
Last edited by Cagey on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dark3 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:06 am

I havent seen any mention of boca lightning lube. Am I the only person using it lol

Petebass
Angler
Angler

Post by Petebass » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:48 pm

After testing a lot;
Grease; Penn
Oil; Rem Oil.
It´s perfect.

jkleino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jkleino » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:56 pm

I second the Rem Oil. Stuff works on just about anything.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:04 pm

My favorite grease is the blue penn precision real grease. It made my reels run a little bit smoother and it works well against corrosion. Last year I accidentally submerged one of my reels, the inside was filled with water but the grease was fine. For oil I normally just use the shimano bantam oil but I am looking to upgrade to a high speed oil.

surviveoutdoor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by surviveoutdoor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:57 am

I'm not sure if you guys have ever tried using Tungsten WS2 lubricants but we have a great write up on the qualities and benefits:

Tungsten Disulfide is rated better than Titanium, Teflon, Graphite and MolyB lubricants! Rated by scientists as the most lubricious material on the planet, offering a lubricity that no other substance can match! As “super lubrication agents”, Tungsten WS2 Lubricants have proven their capacity to reduce wear by up to 30% , depending on the base oil and working conditions.

Complete Tungsten WS2 Lubricants Information

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:51 am

surviveoutdoor wrote:I'm not sure if you guys have ever tried using Tungsten WS2 lubricants but we have a great write up on the qualities and benefits:

Tungsten Disulfide is rated better than Titanium, Teflon, Graphite and MolyB lubricants! Rated by scientists as the most lubricious material on the planet, offering a lubricity that no other substance can match! As “super lubrication agents”, Tungsten WS2 Lubricants have proven their capacity to reduce wear by up to 30% , depending on the base oil and working conditions.

Complete Tungsten WS2 Lubricants Information
You have have blast it on or polish. Just adding ws2 into grease doesn't do jack because i tried it and no difference and i am talking 3 years of usage. It doesn't even bond with the brass gear teeth, maybe not enough heat and pressure in the meshing.

Also making the account just to post the add to your website is kinda of sad.

surviveoutdoor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by surviveoutdoor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks, no didn't make the account to post an ad for our site, notice I didn't give a link to a store, the link contains more information on Tungsten Disulfide and it's use than is available anywhere else.

Pen3,
I'm curious what might have been going wrong, we have thousands of people that have used tungsten with grease and oil very successfully, there are many stories and scientific research throughout the Internet to support the method. Grease will work better than oil because of the viscosity, and a higher viscosity oil will of course work better than a lower viscosity, where you using a grease or an oil and what viscosity were you using? also what was the Tungsten particle size?

Tungsten does not require heat to cure, so your problem would not have been heat. As far as pressure, it usually takes around 120psi to perform a good bond with the substrate, and it's been our experience that you will achieve that much faster in a Big Game saltwater reel than say a smaller freshwater reel that doesn't see near the amout of pressures on the gears.

With that said if you would like to give ours a try, you can PM me with a shipping address and I gladly send you some free of cost. I think you will find a big difference because we use "Nano" sized 90 nanometer particles in our production of our Tungsten Grease, whereas others use only .05 microns and up, which is not as good and will not apply as well.

If you like it, that is great, and I believe you will, if not well then you aren't out anything at all.

surviveoutdoor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by surviveoutdoor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:34 am

In fact I'm willing to go a step farther, the first three people to PM me with a shipping address we will send you a free 2oz. of our Tungsten Grease for you to use, no cost, no obligations at all. We want people to use it, we want you to see for yourself exactly what it can do for your equipment.

:D Cheers

surviveoutdoor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by surviveoutdoor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:56 am

Just so everyone knows these are the methods for applying Tungsten Disulfide Powder:

Mixed – popular for supercharging any grease or oil
  • 1) Mix with your favorite grease or oil, for grease use about one tablespoon per 2oz of grease.
    2) Use about 1/2 tablespoon per ounce of grease.
    3) Use about 1/4 tablespoon per ounce of oil.

Powder Blast – popular with industrial parts
  • 1) Clean and degrease the part. Cleaner the part, better the coating adhesion.
    2) Sand blast the part with 5 micron Alumina (Aluminum Oxide) powder. Only light blasting is necessary.
    3) Thoroughly clean the part with soft cloth/tissue and completely remove Alumina dust from the part.
    4) Sand Blast the part with Tungsten powder @ 120 psi with clean and cold pneumatic air. Spray coat the part till color changes to silver gray.
    5) Lightly dust off Tungsten powder dust with clean soft cloth/tissue.

Alcohol Paste
  • 1) Clean and degrease the part.
    2) Mix Tungsten powder with Isopropyl (also know as Industrial) Alcohol to make paste.
    3) Apply the paste on part and also on cotton buffing wheel and let it dry.
    4) When paste is dry start buffing the part with buffing wheel.
    5) Continue buffing/Honing till a silver gray coating is seen.

Tumbler – popular with small parts (If you are having problems getting the Tungsten to adhere to the substrate because of lack of enough pressure you should use this method)
  • 1) Clean and degrease the part.
    2) Take 5-6 small empty plastic bottles (empty aspirin bottles will do). Put few parts in the bottle and fill the bottle (up to 75%) with Tungsten powder. Fill all bottles likewise.
    3) Put the bottles in vibratory bowl/tumbler with sand or vibratory media.
    4) Vibrate/Tumble for 4-5 hours.
    5) Empty the bottles (you can reuse Tungsten Powder) and wipe clean the parts with soft tissue/cloth.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:11 am

I think the issue comes from the rules that govern TT. I have no issue with your products or knowledge but please read the paragraphs in the below link under "advertising"

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3469

surviveoutdoor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by surviveoutdoor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:26 am

No problem, post can be deleted, no intentions to intrude.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:53 am

surviveoutdoor wrote:No problem, post can be deleted, no intentions to intrude.
You bring up some good points though. Welcome to the forums!

surviveoutdoor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by surviveoutdoor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:42 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
surviveoutdoor wrote:No problem, post can be deleted, no intentions to intrude.
You bring up some good points though. Welcome to the forums!
Thanks Zodiak.
I've personally seen Tungsten used on hundreds of reels, how it is applied really depends on what you want the reel to do or perform. For freshwater you need to go with a low viscosity because you want the added protection of the tungsten but you also don't want a high viscosity (oil or grease) to hamper your casting distance. For saltwater a higher viscosity is required because you are as worried about casting but you need something that can handle a lot of load especially with some large saltwater game.

I always recommend that if you are using a freshwater reel, and I will assume that was what the person was using that complained it did not work for him since he was referring to a brass (pinon gear), you should tumble the part in tungsten, to get an even better bond use ceramic balls mixed in the bottle with the tungsten and pinon (do not use BB's, this could damage the soft brass metal).

We have people using the grease, oil and powder, in just about everything you can imagine, not just reels. We pretty much stick around outdoor type gear since that is where we started but I had people get it to use in Celestial instruments, mining equipment, elevators, and a lot of others.

When we did a show at a Mission Bay tournament we had an Abu Garcia pro strip his reels down right there at his table to use it, and he's been using it ever since. All I was stating before is that if its not working for anyone, its usually the way it is being applied, the quality of the product you used, the size of the particles, or viscosity.

Thank again and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask, I've done this since 1993 so I've been around it awhile.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:32 am

I own a tumbler and have tried every single method you mentioned, except for blasting. There are some things that work great with it, such as tumbling my .338 Lapua rounds and polishing sliding parts, but it just doesn't work in fishing. Freshwater fishing at least. You mention it has been scientifically proven and what not, but could you post one of the scientific research on fishing reels for me?

The WS2 i bought is called monster powder and i assume it is you guys before changing the company name? It has the exact same cartoon picture styles and the old website IIRC has the same layout as yours. Same bottle container and size, same warning labels and fonts. If it was the same company, why is there zero info about the old name and why are all comments and feedbacks dated 2016?