Supertuning a Revo Premier

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Supertuning a Revo Premier

Post by Basswrangler » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 am

OK so I just got my premier, so now I need to supertune. I have never done a reel like the premier before, all of them have been "through frame" spool shaft reels. I've got orange seals on the way and I know I need to polish the spool tips. From what I've read switching to carbontex drag washers won't improve drag all that much because there is already carbon washers stock, but has anyone put Cal's on the stock washers? Anyway I just wondering what you can all do to supertune such a reel.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Supertuning a Revo Premier

Post by D.R. » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:27 pm

You can put all the orange seal bearings in it you want and they will not outperform the stock bearings after they are flushed.

I have 11 Premiers and have played and tested them inside and out.

Flush the stock spool bearings, put a Zillion handle on it and polish the spool tips.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Cal's drag grease is personal preference... and it so happens I personally prefer it :lol:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

QuitLookinAtMyItos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by QuitLookinAtMyItos » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:15 pm

l2yan wrote:Cal's drag grease is personal preference... and it so happens I personally prefer it :lol:
.....and I do as well. Best drag grease out there. ;)
JDM quality is unsurpassed. Period.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Cal's drag greese is some darn good stuff. =D>

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm

bstuckey wrote:Cal's drag greese is some darn good stuff. =D>
I have to agree.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm

When polishing the spool tips should I also polish the tip of the shaft that is in the frame of the reel, the one that the pinion gear rides on--not sure of the technical name. Also I see that the spool shaft is anodized, do you guys polish through the anodizing until you hit metal or do just put a light polish on the anodizing?

Thanks in advance

SJVBOATS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by SJVBOATS » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:58 am

Basswrangler wrote:OK so I just got my premier, so now I need to supertune. I have never done a reel like the premier before, all of them have been "through frame" spool shaft reels. I've got orange seals on the way and I know I need to polish the spool tips. From what I've read switching to carbontex drag washers won't improve drag all that much because there is already carbon washers stock, but has anyone put Cal's on the stock washers? Anyway I just wondering what you can all do to supertune such a reel.

Yes, grease the drag. As mentioned already, get the Cal's grease. It works perfectly, isn't expensive, and lasts awhile.
I usually just use it to grease the gears also.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 pm

I would also like to know if you would polish the spool tips? They definitely have a coating, so I let them be. Unless someone has had some good experiences with doing so I wouldn't try it.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:24 pm

5poundhooker wrote:I would also like to know if you would polish the spool tips? They definitely have a coating, so I let them be. Unless someone has had some good experiences with doing so I wouldn't try it.
no way in HECK i would polish the handle-side spool tip....PERIOD! the palm-side is probably ok though. i have also observed that orange seals are indeed a nice upgrade for these reels...

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 am

With the drag grease you wont be able to lock down the drag as hard as before. Depends on the kind of fishing the reel is being used for, whether or not to use grease. If you need smooth consistent drag and can sacrifice some lock down, grease away. Its amazing how smooth a drag is when greased.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Basstronaught
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Basstronaught » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm

I agree with all above but I would also remove the seals for the orange seals they run a lot better. and I have an older Premier and I added a level wind/ worm gear out of a Revo SX which is dual bearing supported which made my Premier an 10 +1 bearing reel.
Shane Ratliff
Team Daiwa