Maintenance on a vintage ABU 3000 - need assistance!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Jon_K
Angler
Angler

Maintenance on a vintage ABU 3000 - need assistance!

Post by Jon_K » Thu May 05, 2011 5:37 am

As a kid, my earliest memories of fishing is being with my dad in a boat and seeing his ABU reel in action. My dad used this reel for years, and never opened it, lubed it etc. One day, it jammed and he made a half-hearted effort to open it and get it fixed. Sadly, he never completed the job. The reel was left opened in a small plastic bag, and sat on a shelf in a shed for years.

In the meantime, my dad sadly was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease. Nowdays he is hardly in any shape to go fishing, though we try to do some short trips each summer.

A few days ago I found his old reel, still lying there. I brought it home, with the intention to get it fixed - as a surprise for him. I opened and removed every part inside, cleaned it and took care of the rust issues. The problem is, I have never done maintenance on a old ABU 3000 and when I'm now facing a problem, I don't know where to look to find the solution.

The thing is, the reel seems to work - until I attach the plastic lid that covers the hubs and the other parts. Then the bar that enables free spool jams; it goes all hard and it won't work. It's like the plastic lid is too tight and the parts inside are pushed against it when free spool is to be engaged. When the lid is not on, the free spool seems to function as it's suppose to.

I've added a picture here, and I'm hoping someone can tell me if there are parts missing, if I've put some parts in the wrong place/wrong way/etc, or anything else that might help me solve this. The red dot-line is there cos I suspect a spring is missing there? Also, the red circle is there cos I'm wondering if that spring has been streched too far some time during the reel's lifespan?

I'd really like to get this reel fixed 100%, as I know my dad would love to see it working again. I'll gladly take and add more pictures if it's needed. Thanks!

Kingofpool12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Maintenance on a vintage ABU 3000 - need assistance!

Post by Kingofpool12 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:16 am

Make sure the clutch is in the up position when you put the side plate back on or its stays locked down :-k

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Fri May 06, 2011 3:35 am

Here is the schematic for your reel. It should help. :D

http://www.reeldr.com/SCHEMATICS/ABU/AM ... (1969).pdf

Jon_K
Angler
Angler

Post by Jon_K » Sat May 07, 2011 2:46 am

Kingofpool12 wrote:Make sure the clutch is in the up position when you put the side plate back on or its stays locked down :-k
Thanks, both of you. I'm still not closer to finding out the problem here, but it looks like I have to take everything apart once again and do a spring count for starters. Four springs in the schematic, only two visible in the reel I'm working on.

This is kind of a set back, since I just the other day stripped a Avet SX MC apart, greased it, and put it all together again without having to use the manual, schematic etc.