Steez - TDZ gear swap

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez - TDZ gear swap

Post by BassFreak » Tue May 10, 2011 11:50 am

Hi guys, ran into a slight problem swapping the gears between a TDZ103ml and a Steez 103hla, you might have some ideas.

I remember reading on the old boards that the gears on these are interchangeable yet when i tried them, I ran into this problem. the smaller drive gear on the steez is turned by a notch on the drive shaft, while the same gear on the TDZ is driven by it connecting to the main gear through slots and holes in the main gear. so basically, If i put the steez main gear and smaller drive gear into the TDZ, the smaller drive gear wont turn.

Is this unique to the 2 reels i have?
any ideas how to solve this? (no, I wont glue the parts together.. lol)
I thought about swapping the drive shafts as a last resort, best solution i can think of yet..
any other gearsets interchangeable with these 2?

Thanks a bunch..

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez - TDZ gear swap

Post by hobobob » Wed May 11, 2011 5:42 pm

to swap the steez gear to the tdz. you would need 3 parts.
right hand
G89-7101 Pinion Gear
G75-6201 Drive Gear B
G75-6101 Drive Gear A

left hand
G89-7401 Pinion Gear
G81-4101 Drive Gear B
G75-6101 Drive Gear A

Gear A (6101) is basically the small gear that's under the main gear. It's unique to match only to the steez gear. So you cannot mix match this part with the original TDZ part. While you are at it, order a set a carbontex drag. The original TDZ drag just garbage.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Wed May 11, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks Hobobob, but on the steez set, drive gear A doesnt "connect" with drive gear B. Drive gear B is driven by a notch in the drive shaft. I'm starting to think this is unique to the reel/parts i have on hand. Can anyone post a pic of their gear A & B so i can compare? I'd hate to orther parts from daiwa and it be the same as what i already have..

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Wed May 11, 2011 6:17 pm

here is the part order
td-z
a/r ratchet -> drive shaft washer B -> worm shaft gear -> drive gear

steez
a/r ratchet -> Drive gear B -> friction washer -> drive gear

basically the two middle parts are in reverse order. Fricton washer is the same as drive shaft washer B, worm shaft gear are unique to TDZ ( fitting into the slot in gear ). While drive gear B is unique to steez.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Thu May 12, 2011 4:58 am

again thank you for the help Hobobob, i think we are misunderstanding each other here. basically what i'm trying to describe is that the steez drive gear B matches(for propulsion) with the steez drive shaft, while the TDZ drive gear B, matches(for propulsion) with the TDZ main gear. thus, when i put the steez main gear AND steez drive gear B into the TDZ drive shaft, there is nothing to turn the drive gear B since its not connected to the main gear and there is no notch on the TDZ drive shaft to turn it. I dunno, maybe i'm missing something here, or i have parts that are different. I'll open them up again later to double check. and measure the drive shafts too as i might have to swap those out to make this work.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Thu May 12, 2011 6:35 am

The steez set is driven by friction. That's why the friction washer was in place. Any drag pressure on the reel and the drive gear-> line guide will move. The steez and tdz line guide behaves differently during drag pull, cranking during drag pull. They are design differently. Don't know which way is better, just work differently.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Thu May 12, 2011 7:09 am

hobobob wrote:The steez set is driven by friction. That's why the friction washer was in place. Any drag pressure on the reel and the drive gear-> line guide will move.
Ahhh (lightbulb over head) that explains that.. I suspected i missed something here.. Thanks Hobobob, I will try it out later.

note: does this mean, under really heavy load on the line guide, this will slip like a drag washer would? not that i expect any load that heavy to be put on the line guide, but just wondering.. i believe the "notch" on the steez drive shaft prevents this on the Steez reels.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Thu May 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Ok, took a second look at this project swap, and am more convinced now that its gonna be more complicated than a gear swap. Here are the differences i observed:

Steez drive shaft has a notch at the bottom while the TDZ drive shaft does not. Thus the smaller drive gear is "paired up" with its respected drive shaft. Not interchangeable.

The teeth on the Smaller drive gear on TDZ is cut at an angle, while on the steez, they are not.

I am pondering switching out the drive shaft and worm gear but still have to do some measurements.. For those that have done this particular swap, well how did you do it just by swapping gears??

Another thought that came to mInd is that perhaps the difference lies in that my TDZ is JDM while the Steez is USDM.

jmudd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmudd » Wed May 25, 2011 12:38 am

Do not forget to order the washer that goes between the drive gears.
[URL=http://s116.photobucket.com/user/jamudd/media/gambler_2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/jamudd/gambler_2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Wed May 25, 2011 12:06 pm

It doesnt matter.. the drive shaft on these 2 reels i have are different from each other. I have no idea why, when so many on this board has done this swap already. If i go through with it, i'll be swapping most of the internals and not just the gears. not worth the trouble..

jmudd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmudd » Wed May 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I have 4 tdz that are sporting steez internals the only thing you need is the pinion 2 drive gears and washer and you are good to go!!!
[URL=http://s116.photobucket.com/user/jamudd/media/gambler_2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/jamudd/gambler_2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Wed May 25, 2011 3:14 pm

jmudd wrote:I have 4 tdz that are sporting steez internals the only thing you need is the pinion 2 drive gears and washer and you are good to go!!!

I keep telling you guys.. These 2 reels i have, have different parts. Swapping tge smaller gear is like fitting a square peg into a round hole.. I'll take pictures next time i have the reel apart..

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Wed May 25, 2011 3:28 pm

I bought the tdz used as a project and i suspect some parts are not original to the reel.. Doesnt surprise me much as this person i bought the reel from has tried to sneak things past me before.. Once bitten i guess.. Anyways, thanks for the help guys.. Mystery solved..

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm

jmudd wrote:I have 4 tdz that are sporting steez internals the only thing you need is the pinion 2 drive gears and washer and you are good to go!!!
Are the Steez gears smoother? Also, the HS Steez gears will not fit a TDZ, is that correct?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Thu May 26, 2011 3:42 am

I feel that the steez gear will make the tdz smoother. But not sure if it due to new gear set or different metal that made the gear. Only the regular 6.3 steez gear will fit, the HS 7.1 version does not fit in the tdz body.

I have 2 TDZ sporting the steez gear set, I have been using them extensively for the past 1.5 season, very happy with them.