Fuego diet plan

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Fuego diet plan

Post by DougL58 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 am

Weighing in at a total of 1.60oz prior to work out… Coming in at a lean 1.425oz after work out. Fuego loss .175oz off his internal parts with just one morning workout.

Last edited by DougL58 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fuego diet plan

Post by 5bites » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:16 am

Cool deal. Are you a machinist?

I've thought about doing a similar thing to mine.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:36 am

5bites wrote:Cool deal. Are you a machinist?

I've thought about doing a similar thing to mine.
Just playing in my little hobby shop. That main gear is still overweight… A little more work out for him. Then we will look for some other weight saving areas.

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:43 am

Very Nice !!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:00 am

That spool work is insane!
Great job!
Can't wait to see how light you can make it. =D>

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 am

Now that's impressive work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D>

Kingofpool12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kingofpool12 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:35 am

Very cool =D>
I got the same plan for my morrum 8-)

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:54 pm

That's pretty ingenious Dug, have you explored the frame as uncharted territory yet - seems you could
shave weight much like they do with fly reels these days. You better get to work. :lol:

oldgeezer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by oldgeezer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Doug. Impressive work! Would you please describe to us,without much difficulty on your part, exactly how you were able to end up with the great results? Dremel tool,etc? Not trying to steal trade secrets, but am interested in trying to duplicate your work on my two Fuegos. Thanks for any help and insight. =D>

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:54 pm

oldgeezer wrote:Doug. Impressive work! Would you please describe to us,without much difficulty on your part, exactly how you were able to end up with the great results? Dremel tool,etc? Not trying to steal trade secrets, but am interested in trying to duplicate your work on my two Fuegos. Thanks for any help and insight. =D>
I measure the part I’m going to modify and then design a template in the computer. I just use Power Point. The drawing controls are sufficient to set sizes by ten thousandths and rotate by 1 degree at a time. I then print it, cut it out and see how it fits. I usually have to adjust the size a few times to match perfect. I can send my power point to anyone who wants to see how I lay out a template.

I then use a light coat of spray glue on the cut out template and apply it to the part. Then, where I have drill spots marked, I use a spring loaded auto center punch to mark it. Mind you I’m using a magnifying lens clipped to my hat for accuracy. With the punch mark in place, I use a small drill press to drill (I use to use a hand drill but hard to be accurate). I start with a very small drill bit to get an accurate drill spot on the punch mark. Then I step up to the drill size I need.

After drilling you usually need some clean up. I use various bits in the dremel but you need to be careful so all the holes match. I finish off with some manual de-burring if needed and polish with buffing wheel and then bristle brush and diamond polish. Drive shaft, drive gear and spool took about 3 hours. The holes are not exact as a machined part would be but close enough. I have not tried the spool yet. I’m working through a Fuego right now. More porting and polishing, then carbontex drag and ABEC 7 SS spool bearings with Tungsten Disulfide applied. I’m finding this stuff to be the best lubricant I’ve ever used. Takes some processing to get it on but it’s great. Standard Daiwa bearings cast like ABEC 7s.

oldgeezer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by oldgeezer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Innovative for sure and thanks for the detailed explanation which is beyond my capabilities(possibly though). In either case, is all of the work a measurable positive effect in the performance of a Fuego? I ask this because there must be other Daiwa products that might benefit from this upgrade also? Do you plan on offering this upgrade to TT members that might want to test the waters and results? If not, thanks for the info. =D>

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:28 pm

I’m anxious to try the spool. I may not wait to get the whole tuned Fuego together… might just drop it into another one to try. I’ll let you know. The weight loss may be nice but will not increase performance. The spool might/will. The polishing of the gears provides a nice smooth feel. The Tungsten Disulfide is by far the best improvement to performance.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Doug,

Excellent work! =D> =D>

The porting should get the spool to about 20g after adding back the brakes and bearings. Correct?

Have you spun the spool yet to check balance? That would be awesome if it was still balanced at high speed.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Nice work, keep us posted.

Slowly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Slowly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Great work DougL58! That spool is SICK!

Did you polished the hole edges in the spool? so once you're reeling the line won't be damaged? or its not necessary? :-k
https://www.facebook.com/ExiliadosSportFishingTeam