spinning reel anti-reverse bearings lube?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: spinning reel anti-reverse bearings lube?

Post by mark poulson » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:59 am

Thanks again.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:57 pm

SpyderMan24-7 wrote:
5poundhooker wrote:This post is quite old, but Why these guys are telling you to use oil on an a/r bearing is absolutely incorrect. Use a light film of grease and your problem will be fixed unless your bearing is already shot.

We are so fortunate to have you saving the day with your much sought after wisdom.....

X2 on the grease light film . Spiderboy I'm trying to help the guy not give him answers that are wrong. Stick to saving neighborhoods from moths or something. unless you know for a fact how to help some fellow member with a problem it is better not to give them bad advice.

SpyderMan24-7
Angler
Angler

Post by SpyderMan24-7 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:57 am

With most things in life there is no right or wrong, just opinions. Don't dog others for the answers they give as at least they took the time to offer their advice. Forums always have the wannabe resident expert that knows next to nothing and simply tries to downplay it by acting as if they have all the answers. Take a hint!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:42 am

Guys,
As a Jewish carpenter, I want to give you both some words of advice.
It's the Holiday Season.
Play nice, at least for now.
I appreciated everyone's answers, and attempts to help me.
It is not a pissing contest, just a friendly forum where folks who share a love of all things fishing can reach out and touch others with the same passion.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all who celebrate them, and a great Holiday Season in general to the rest of us.
In the Santa/Grinch race, I'll take the fat guy and give you 5 points!

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Yea merry Christmas too all. I only answer maintaining reel questions if I know the answer. Doing things twice because of being miss-informed is not helping a guy out. I am no where near an expert just a novice who likes to tinker, so I have learned a few things along the way. Sorry if I hurt your feelings about your handle and the moths thing. Your advice was just plain incorrect and thats that.

SpyderMan24-7
Angler
Angler

Post by SpyderMan24-7 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:10 pm

My advice was "incorrect"? Why not go back over every post in this thread before you add your remarks. Furthermore, you couldn't hurt my feelings in any way, shape or form. Tinker more and speak less as that would be helpful to us all.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:16 pm

mark poulson wrote:Guys,
It's the Holiday Season.
It is not a pissing contest, just a friendly forum where folks who share a love of all things fishing can reach out and touch others with the same passion.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all who celebrate them, and a great Holiday Season in general to the rest of us.
=D> =D> =D>

Don't know if it is the same for Quantum reels as it is for Shimano but on the Shimano's that I have it says No Grease on the AR bearings.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Checking out TT bearing maintanance guide might help; http://www.tackletour.com/articlebearings301pg4.html
Rods & Reels Excite me!

SpyderMan24-7
Angler
Angler

Post by SpyderMan24-7 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:20 am

bstuckey wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Guys,
It's the Holiday Season.

=D> =D> =D>

Don't know if it is the same for Quantum reels as it is for Shimano but on the Shimano's that I have it says No Grease on the AR bearings.
If you know much about reels you'd clearly see they all use pretty much the same A-R bearings. Honestly I doubt Shimano knows what is best in their own reels. They seem ass backwards in their thinking these days anyway!

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:46 am

SpyderMan24-7 wrote: If you know much about reels you'd clearly see they all use pretty much the same A-R bearings. Honestly I doubt Shimano knows what is best in their own reels. They seem ass backwards in their thinking these days anyway!
SpyderMan24-7 please read Smarmy.
MegabassUSA.com

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:01 am

No one is saying why they use grease or oil, Please tell us why U use one over the other. I don't mess around with spinning reels but on bait casters I always use a oil BECAUSE I fish in temps that are under 30deg and grease in the A/R Bearing will become to stiff and will cause the A/R Bearing to slip.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:20 am

vArm wrote:
SpyderMan24-7 wrote: If you know much about reels you'd clearly see they all use pretty much the same A-R bearings. Honestly I doubt Shimano knows what is best in their own reels. They seem ass backwards in their thinking these days anyway!
:laugh1: :laugh1: :lol22:
Rods & Reels Excite me!

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:04 pm

All i'm saying is I use a very light film of grease just like it says in the thread because guys will over oil the bearing in front of the A/R bearing in a spinning reel or baitcaster if they don't know any better. A large quantity of oil will in fact make it slip.IMHO is probably how I should have worded it to avoid an uproar over an obviously opinion related topic. That is it, the article says some use grease and some oil. Lets just agree to disagree and be done with it.

SpyderMan24-7
Angler
Angler

Post by SpyderMan24-7 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:15 pm

vArm wrote:

vArm I suggest YOU read STFU.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:23 pm

SpyderMan24-7 wrote:
vArm wrote:
SpyderMan24-7 wrote: If you know much about reels you'd clearly see they all use pretty much the same A-R bearings....

vArm I suggest YOU read STFU.
I honestly can't remember anyone making faster friends in fewer posts like you have been able to! =D>
MegabassUSA.com