Spinning reel drags

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Ub2m4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spinning reel drags

Post by Ub2m4 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:44 pm

I finished cleaning all my bait casting reels and treated all the drags with Cal,s drag grease. What do I do with my spinning reel drags? My quantums have 1 synthetic washer and 1 ceramic. Do I just clean and use Cal,s or what? Also any good forums or sites for spinning reels and cleaning? 1/3 of my reels are spinning and currently getting minimal attention. Thank you.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spinning reel drags

Post by slipperybob » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:55 pm

I've dabbed a little grease on my oil felt spinning reels and it works fine.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:20 am

Ub2m4 wrote:I finished cleaning all my bait casting reels and treated all the drags with Cal,s drag grease. What do I do with my spinning reel drags? My quantums have 1 synthetic washer and 1 ceramic. Do I just clean and use Cal,s or what? Also any good forums or sites for spinning reels and cleaning? 1/3 of my reels are spinning and currently getting minimal attention. Thank you.
X2 on any sites or resources that show the steps to maintaining spinning reels. All my spinning gear could really use a good cleaning. Anyone?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Ub2m4 wrote:I finished cleaning all my bait casting reels and treated all the drags with Cal,s drag grease. What do I do with my spinning reel drags? My quantums have 1 synthetic washer and 1 ceramic. Do I just clean and use Cal,s or what? Also any good forums or sites for spinning reels and cleaning? 1/3 of my reels are spinning and currently getting minimal attention. Thank you.
X2 on any sites or resources that show the steps to maintaining spinning reels. All my spinning gear could really use a good cleaning. Anyone?
Go to YouTube... type in "Spinning reel maintenance" in the search box. Some pretty good info... and some not so good. :D You'll have to sort out the good from the bad.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:53 pm

If you are cleaning them due to online instruction, its pretty close to the way you would clean a bait-caster. Just lay out your parts after you clean them as removed in a way that will remind you of how to re-assemble it and use grease either in all the bearings or use oil in certain ones like the line guide bearing if it has one or any bearings used on the spool so that your drag is extremely free (some are inside the spool itself or on the main shaft when you remove the spool) the anti reverse bearing is debatable some call for oil or a light film of grease. As long as you have you schematics you should be ok. I think there isn't as much info. on spinning is because upgrades aren't going to help cast or pitch farther and the likelihood of a bearing upgrade noticed is not likely. There is just not quite as much you can do to improve performance on spinning gear.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 pm

I love Cal's grease on spinning reel drags. All the better... upgrade to carbontex!!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org