GodZillion>

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
esbee73
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

GodZillion>

Post by esbee73 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:46 pm

whats up guys...i have this new us domestic daiwa zillion, the one with the gold/yellow trim and the 6.3 grear ratio....i been reading about the pixy to pixilla and super tuning reels in such and its blowing my mind...i want to give this zillie the royal treatment and turn it into a Godzilliom, so what should i do? Abec 9s ceramic hybrids? carbon fiber dragwashers? are carontex really too smooth? i want to get a carbon fiber 80mm handle and real cork rcs knobs...what else should i do? get a longcast spool? polish and super tune? how much do i really need polished? thanks for any advice...i have enough loot to trick this one out to the max so any tips or opinions are appreciated...bless.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: GodZillion>

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Great idea. But isn't godzilla big. 80mm handle seems tiny. I would think you go 90,92,95,or 100. Just sayin.

esbee73
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by esbee73 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:04 pm

haha that makes sense to me....i was just playing off the Pixzilla name since i wanted to beef up my zillion, not make it it bigger....enlighten me....what would be the ultimate list of things to do to trick this baby out? this is all new to me...lots of info on here and the search is my new best friend, so im learning as much as i can.....who is the best person on this board who can soup daiwas? my td ito 103m showed up today as well and i wouild like to update her as well...thanks for the words...bless.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:12 pm

esbee73 wrote:haha that makes sense to me....i was just playing off the Pixzilla name since i wanted to beef up my zillion, not make it it bigger....enlighten me....what would be the ultimate list of things to do to trick this baby out? this is all new to me...lots of info on here and the search is my new best friend, so im learning as much as i can.....who is the best person on this board who can soup daiwas? my td ito 103m showed up today as well and i wouild like to update her as well...thanks for the words...bless.
tons of people can help you as they have helped me.

ebassfisher, nitroman77, zenbasser, africanbass, tokugawa, Cal, usa-ret, and others.

just ask your questions and research first. I have not researched things that have already been asked they will call you out occasionally for not trying. don't take it personal. also, research chucke and d.r. threads.

On my Zillion, I have a 50th that now has a Hypercast PE spool, Zpi 92mm Platinum carbon fiber handle with 4bb supported cork knobs(not the original), Boca ABEC 7 OS spool bearings, and a carbontex drag. Reel has lost weight and looks great. I have not weighed her yet but just in hand I can tell a big difference. One of these days I will post some pics.
Last edited by Finnz922 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:06 am

Had I an unlimited budget, I would likely do the following:

-drop an HLC spool in there
-carbontext drag upgrade
-worm bearing upgrade
-replace spool bearings with ABEC 9's
-carbon fiber 90+mm handle
-custom paint
-supertune internals
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:12 am

this thread is making the Zillion Type R look like a bargain... :big grin:

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:10 am

taylor5877 wrote:this thread is making the Zillion Type R look like a bargain... :big grin:
The Zillion Type R is a heck of a bargain if you're thinking of all these upgrades for your regular zillion... The only upgrade I'd consider for the Type R is replacing the knobs with a set of RCS corks..but that is only if you are looking to save some weight. The stock rubber ones are quite heavy.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Good351 wrote:
taylor5877 wrote:this thread is making the Zillion Type R look like a bargain... :big grin:
The Zillion Type R is a heck of a bargain if you're thinking of all these upgrades for your regular zillion... The only upgrade I'd consider for the Type R is replacing the knobs with a set of RCS corks..but that is only if you are looking to save some weight. The stock rubber ones are quite heavy.
Upgrading the spool and bearings and 4bb handle are more important than almost all others if you are looking for improvement in function.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Good351 wrote:
The Type R spool isn't very special at all. the TD-Z 100M or HCL spools are definitely an upgrade.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:09 pm

I would get the Boca ABEC-7 ceramic Orange seals for spool bearings only and also worm gear bearing from same vender(S.S.)
carbontex drag+Cals drag grease+Met speed oil for spool bearings(smoothdrag.com), worm bearing upgrade get bearing from Boca it will be cheaper than Daiwa and better, Lews carbon fiber handle for crankin model with bearings and knobs in one package( like $50 may also need nut retainer and screw (possible bearing change to fit cork knobs or eva) or Mikes reel repair carbon fiber handle w/ 4 bearings, nut retainer and screw, and eva grips like Revos $50, polish gears, spool ends and internals. Spoool change if really necessary. These are the best upgrades that reel can benefit from performance-wise.
$120-200 if you do it yourself.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Mine have the following

TDZ100M spool, Boca Orange Seal spool bearings, Zillion Type R carbon fiber handle, Zillion Type R dragstar. All this costs around $240.00 per reel but makes the Zillion even more refined.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm

njbasscat wrote:Mine have the following

TDZ100M spool, Boca Orange Seal spool bearings, Zillion Type R carbon fiber handle, Zillion Type R dragstar. All this costs around $240.00 per reel but makes the Zillion even more refined.
Absolutely on the dragstar! =D>

esbee73
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by esbee73 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Wicked!!! Thanks guys...Yall Rock!! Ill figure out a game plan and let you know...bless.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:32 pm

bstuckey wrote:
Good351 wrote:
The Type R spool isn't very special at all. the TD-Z 100M or HCL spools are definitely an upgrade.
I wasn't talking about the spool I guess.. I was refering to the carbon handle, nice swept drag star and carbontex drag that are normally upgraded from stock. The spool is definatly upgradeable..and don't forget about the zillion pe long cast spool. Only 12g!