Patriarch spin knocking

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Patriarch spin knocking

Post by Basswrangler » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:16 pm

I recently purchased a 9530 patriarch and after a day or two of fishing it developed a thudding/knocking feel upon retrieve. The knocking is more of a feel than a noise and it happens roughly 10 times per handle turn. Typically, I don't open up my spinning reels until they need it, but given the problem I thought I'd take a look. After a full clean I didn't find any issues with components and all bearings ran fast and quiet. I relubed and reassembled. Since I was so curious if my cleaning had done any good I gave the handle a few cranks before putting the spool on. The retrieve was super smooth with no signs of knocking. I thought the problem was solved, but once I replaced the spool the knocking came back. After double checking I can verify that the reel only knocks with the spool on. I just can't figure out why it would do this. My only guess is that the extra weight put on the mainshaft by the spool effects something. Anyone know whats going on?

Sorry if the above riddled with grammar/spelled errors, I typed it on my phone.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Patriarch spin knocking

Post by tywithay » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:26 pm

I noticed mine has a small "click" when I am reeling it in slowly. I also have the 9530 model. It doesn't seem to affect performance and is less noticeable as higher speeds, but it's definitely there. I did the same thing opening it up to see if maybe some sand got into the rotor or something but it was clean. Hopefully it isn't something that gets any worse, but it is definitely annoying for a $200 reel.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:38 pm

The pin on the gear for the spool oscillation is a little undersized in the pfluegers. There is a fair amount of slop in the slot it rides in on the follower so every time the spool changes direction it taps against the other side of the slot. If you pay close attention you'll notice the ticks occur at the extremes of the spool oscillations.

you can quiet it down by loading the slot up with grease, but it doesn't last very long (less than an hour) before you notice it again. I may try a bit of wheel bearing grease in mine just to see if the heavier grease will keep it quiet longer.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:21 pm

smalliesteve wrote:The pin on the gear for the spool oscillation is a little undersized in the pfluegers. There is a fair amount of slop in the slot it rides in on the follower so every time the spool changes direction it taps against the other side of the slot. If you pay close attention you'll notice the ticks occur at the extremes of the spool oscillations.

you can quiet it down by loading the slot up with grease, but it doesn't last very long (less than an hour) before you notice it again. I may try a bit of wheel bearing grease in mine just to see if the heavier grease will keep it quiet longer.
I may have to open mine up again and take a look at that slot. Maybe I can figure out some kind of fix to help slow it down some. Thanks for the info!
Last edited by tywithay on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:59 pm

smalliesteve wrote:The pin on the gear for the spool oscillation is a little undersized in the pfluegers. There is a fair amount of slop in the slot it rides in on the follower so every time the spool changes direction it taps against the other side of the slot. If you pay close attention you'll notice the ticks occur at the extremes of the spool oscillations.

Good info. I noticed a slight tick with mine as well after fishing it for a few days. Good to know it's nothing serious.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:13 am

it will last with some heavier or stickier grease. i have fixed a few of these last year and they are still quiet.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:55 pm

jm529 wrote:

it will last with some heavier or stickier grease. i have fixed a few of these last year and they are still quiet.
Do you recommend any grease in particular? I'm not really up on all the different types out there. I just mainly use Hot Sauce on my reels, but I am sure there are much better ones to be found.

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm

i primarily use super lube grease in all my reels, which u can get at most hardware stores but there are a lot of other greases that will work. i have never used hot sauce grease so i am not sure what consistency it is, but it might work.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

tywithay wrote:
jm529 wrote:

Do you recommend any grease in particular? I'm not really up on all the different types out there. I just mainly use Hot Sauce on my reels, but I am sure there are much better ones to be found.
I tried hot sauce... no go

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:57 pm

smalliesteve wrote:
tywithay wrote:
jm529 wrote:

I tried hot sauce... no go

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out some other lubes and see what the consistency is; try to find one that's thicker. I guess if it comes down to it, I can live with a little 'tick' as it doesn't seem to hinder performance.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:06 pm

I've noticed a similar "tick" in my abu soron after cleaning and relubing with a lighter grease.

Hot sauce is really too thin a grease to alleviate the problem. You might try Abu reel lube, as it is a thicker consistency.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garc ... -AGRL.html