Boca Bearings question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Boca Bearings question

Post by vertigo » Wed May 23, 2012 7:39 am

Some guy on youtube replaced his bearings with Boca Ornage seals and removed the orange seals to oil the bearings but left them out because he didn't think they were necessary. Is it safe to remove the seals to oil them or do they come pre-oiled?

Another guy didn't put any oil because he said that ceramic bearings did't need oil and the only drawback is that it makes a bit more noise. Are ceramic bearings supposed to be noisy?

I want to make some upgrades to my td-z's but never tried any of this before.

Thanks

Mark V
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Boca Bearings question

Post by Mark V » Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 am

Most people remove the seals and leave them off after the initial cleaning and lube. Only adverse effect to running without the seals is getting dirtier easier/faster than not. I recommend a thorough cleaning and relube before installing.

Running ceramic hybrid bearings dry is ok, but they will be noisier than normal and they will probably wear quicker as well. I haven't tried, but I've been told that running them dry makes them almost too fast and difficult to control.

Bushwacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bushwacker » Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 am

I have been using the Boca Orange Seals for years now in my Daiwas and love them. I always order the bearings dry, and then give them a cleaning for good measure when I receive them. I take off the seals prior to cleaning them and leave them off. The seals might hold oil in a little longer, but beside that I don't see any real benefit to leaving the them on. The benefits of leaving them off are easier lubricating/cleaning down the road and eliminating the possibility of the seal interfering with the bearing after they are reinstalled. I alway use lubrication on my bearings. I have always been of the mindset that a lubricant extends the life of the bearing and as long as you are using a good oil, you really don't hinder them by using it. I have had good personal experiences with the Boca Lightning Lube oil and Oust Met OL, but there are quite a few that people have had great experiences with.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Wed May 23, 2012 10:59 am

I always leave the seals out of the orange seals. They spin up faster and spin longer without the seals.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vertigo » Wed May 23, 2012 11:28 am

So the which version of the bearings work best? Are Formula bearings any good or better than Boca?

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:28 am

never tried formula bearings, but have gone through thousands of bocas and they have been great so far.. 8-)
As DR said take the seals off and they run better..

Trey
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats