Boca Bearing problem on shimano reel

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mudman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Boca Bearing problem on shimano reel

Post by mudman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Hey guys,

This is the first time i post something on forums. Last week I received my boca Orange seal bearings for my conquest dc100 and shimano xt1000. I have read lots of suggestions where most of you guys will first remove the seals, flush the bearing with acetone and then drip a drop of you favorite oil. I followed these steps but i did not drop any sort of oil as i wanted it dry.

For some reason, the bearings did not perform as it should. It wasnt any better than the stock shimano bearings. Any ideas where had gone wrong for me? Your help is much appreciated

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Boca Bearing problem on shimano reel

Post by tH3_Guy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:41 am

How do u know its not helping? Did u test before and after?

Ive tested all 4 reels beforeand after just to justify the cost.

Though i think just clean out stock helps too.

Only upgrading more critical techniques, like cranking, pitchin light lures etc etc.

mudman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mudman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:41 am

Yes, Ive tested them before and after. On the same day itself with the same lure, line, rod etc. Just swapped bearings to feel the difference in casting a 10g lure. :doh:

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 am

The higher end Shimanos seem to come with some high grade bearings from the factory. The orange seals helped out my Curado's a lot more than it did my Core 50's, where it's barely noticeable. One of the well known tuners here said it was not upgrading the bearings in my Calais DC as the stockers were among the best bearings he'd ever seen in a factory reel.

mudman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mudman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:20 am

Heya jeb.

That's a good point u have there. Thanks for Sharing :). The thing bugging me right now is the videos on YouTube where free spool goes for like a minute. Mine can't even achieve 10 seconds lol even the stock bearing does better than my bocas! Flushing with brake cleaner helps? Or acetone does the job?

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:31 am

Upgraded bearings won't do much on the DC reels as its computerized to brake itself..
The scorpion there should be an increase in distance as the bocas are a much better bearing then stock
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

mudman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mudman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:02 am

Guess this time I'll try flushing my bearings with brake cleaner as the scorpion didn't spin well too. Hopefully ill see some improvement

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:05 am

I use 3Mm brake cleaner,essentially xylene, from my local auto parts store. I soak the bearings for and hour outdoors in a jar with loosely tight lid. I then remove the bearings and let them dry for 30 min or so. I use an ice pick to hold the bearings while spinning them to see if they need further cleaning or disposal.

One small drop of oil from an oiler and ready to install.

Charles

VEEDUBGYRL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VEEDUBGYRL » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:10 pm

good go know... thanks for the tips.
VEEDUBGYRL

bocabearingslarry
Angler
Angler

Post by bocabearingslarry » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 am

Be careful when you reinstall the seals back on to the bearing. The orange seal is a non contact seal but some times it can be pushed in too far and rub against the cage. If you're still having issues you can PM me or email me at larry at bocabearings.com
Team Boca Bearings
http://www.bocabearings.com

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 am

Or just leave the seals off once you pull them.

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Why would you want dry bearings??

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 am

Bigs|ick wrote:Why would you want dry bearings??
If you do back-to-back spin tests with freshly cleaned bearings, dry and then oiled, the dry ones spin longer. But most say they wear out quicker dry, so there are tradeoffs. I always add one small drop of oil.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 am

Hey mudman, you won't see much difference on the newer reels. I've come to the conclusion that shimanos sarb bearings are just as good as orange seal abec 7s. Just like you i was sold on he youtube videos of all those crazy freespool videos. One thing a lot of those videos don't mention is all of the other super tuning that has been done to the reels. I believe the extra freespool and performance comes from the super tuning and not just a simple bearing swap. So unless you you break down the reel and polish all friction points, you will not get the results that you want.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:43 am

MaxZmus wrote:Hey mudman, you won't see much difference on the newer reels. I've come to the conclusion that shimanos sarb bearings are just as good as orange seal abec 7s. Just like you i was sold on he youtube videos of all those crazy freespool videos. One thing a lot of those videos don't mention is all of the other super tuning that has been done to the reels. I believe the extra freespool and performance comes from the super tuning and not just a simple bearing swap. So unless you you break down the reel and polish all friction points, you will not get the results that you want.
With the exception of the DC reels Boca OS7 bearings are definitely an upgrade (I even run them in my 100DC, although I admit not much difference there). Freespool videos are for show only. Setting up a reel to freespool (no brakes, loose cast control) is exactly the opposite of how you'd set it up to fish.