ABEC 9 Bearings?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

ABEC 9 Bearings?

Post by trav » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:46 am

Ive been seeing a few reels for sale that have ABEC 9 bearings. Where can I buy ABEC 9 reel bearings at? Ive searched online and cant really find much on them.

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: ABEC 9 Bearings?

Post by tim3716 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:18 pm

trav wrote:Ive been seeing a few reels for sale that have ABEC 9 bearings. Where can I buy ABEC 9 reel bearings at? Ive searched online and cant really find much on them.
I was wondering the same thing too.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:33 am

Boca bearings make abec 9s for about 100$ a pair
I've got a couple sets and they are not worth the extra jump over their 7s

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:11 am

trav wrote:Ive been seeing a few reels for sale that have ABEC 9 bearings. Where can I buy ABEC 9 reel bearings at? Ive searched online and cant really find much on them.
Check the Sale forum here. :big grin:

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:45 am

I can only add that the Shimano rep, Bantam1, has said that a baitcaster does not spin fast enough to warrant ABEC 9 bearings. He also doubts the advantage on ABEC 7 bearing over a quality ABEC 5's.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:51 am

brownhl wrote:I can only add that the Shimano rep, Bantam1, has said that a baitcaster does not spin fast enough to warrant ABEC 9 bearings. He also doubts the advantage on ABEC 7 bearing over a quality ABEC 5's.
i have tested that 'theory' over and over again...only to find each time that it could not be further from the truth. there is a difference, and if the bearings are high quality, there is a big difference!

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:29 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:
brownhl wrote:I can only add that the Shimano rep, Bantam1, has said that a baitcaster does not spin fast enough to warrant ABEC 9 bearings. He also doubts the advantage on ABEC 7 bearing over a quality ABEC 5's.
i have tested that 'theory' over and over again...only to find each time that it could not be further from the truth. there is a difference, and if the bearings are high quality, there is a big difference!
Just curious E... What bearings do you consider quality?

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:15 am

mattfish11 wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:
there are plenty of great bearings available right now. at the moment, a combination of price, availability, and quality make boca orange seals my favorites. but bearings from zpi, zen, hedgehog, and pacmore are all really nice too.

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 am

e_bassfisher wrote:
mattfish11 wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:
there are plenty of great bearings available right now. at the moment, a combination of price, availability, and quality make boca orange seals my favorites. but bearings from zpi, zen, hedgehog, and pacmore are all really nice too.
Thanks!!! =D>

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Whatever bearings you buy get ones without seals or removable ones. The are much easier to clean when needed. I have some sealed Ceramics that the reel took a dive in muddy water. They took more effort to clean out and silt equals sandpaper when caught inside bearing. I agree with the orange seals which cost half of what the others that were named in prior post.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:08 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:
Can you quantify the differences abec 9, 7, stock?
Like the distance gain how much at 1/8, 1/2, 1oz weights/lures to abec7 or stock?
Accuracy- how much better groups are achieved @ 10,20,30yds with better bearings?

Following not directed at you but in general people say how much better upgraded bearings are but fail to give any concrete figures. Dont really care how long freespool is but that is mostly what people hone in on doesnt mean anything I dont go to the lake and freespool my reel all day long.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:
Can you quantify the differences abec 9, 7, stock?
Like the distance gain how much at 1/8, 1/2, 1oz weights/lures to abec7 or stock?
Accuracy- how much better groups are achieved @ 10,20,30yds with better bearings?

Following not directed at you but in general people say how much better upgraded bearings are but fail to give any concrete figures. Dont really care how long freespool is but that is mostly what people hone in on doesnt mean anything I dont go to the lake and freespool my reel all day long.
i don't care to attempt to 'quantify' it really...there is no need to....it is not hard to understand that a bearing with a cleaner, tighter tolerance will spin more consistently....is it? therefore, doesn't it seem to make sense that the upgraded bearing would allow the spool to spin faster and start up easier? and doesn't it make sense that because the spool starts up easier and spins more consistently, that distance, ease of casting, and ability to cast lighter lures would all improve???

now, there are a few things that may mitigate some of the improvement an angler may see. first and foremost, brake set-up...if you are one of those who set the tension knob super tight, you are not likely to notice as much improvement; but you should still notice some. secondly, improper prepping of the bearing...the bearing must be absolutely clean and free of residue(well, as absolutely as it can be, anyhow).....

all that said, why don't you try a set of bearings for yourself? then you can 'quantify' all you want :lol: it really isn't that big an investment, and they don't take long to install

e_

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Ill take it then that you havent actually tested the difference otherwise you could give specifics about those big differences.

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:39 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Ill take it then that you havent actually tested the difference otherwise you could give specifics about those big differences.
You may not realize that e bassfisher is a highly regarded tuner :talk hand:

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:51 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Ill take it then that you havent actually tested the difference otherwise you could give specifics about those big differences.
:lol:
i fish....a lot! and i work on/tune reels....A LOT! i don't have to cast by a yard stick to know when i am using a better product, and when the distance, ect, is CLEARLY better. you can trust me or not, i don't care, but i can tell you with certainty that great bearings do make a difference....try it for yourself and see :D