Spool Bearing oil

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Spool Bearing oil

Post by angry john » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:27 pm

I have all daiwa reels, and most of them do not need oil on the spool bearings as far as i know. The alphas platforms do and i never got any oil when i got the reels. I found and ordered this oil from TW. Is it any good, and it going to be thinner or heavier than what comes with the reels stock?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Ne ... -ROIL.html

I plan on cleaning both the sol and ITO before adding this new oil because i dont know what it had on it before. I have herd some bad stories about mixing oil types....

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spool Bearing oil

Post by lpquick » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:51 pm

It’s a multi purpose oil so it will work OK as a spool bearing lubricant. There are so many different oils out there for high speed bearings you can pick your poison. It seems the better the oil is for high speed the more often you need to re-apply it. I use oil in all my bait casting reels spool bearings, but then again I fish Inshore all the time and need the protection. If you search the topic you’ll find maybe a dozen or so recommended oils from TG Rocket fuel to stock Diawa & Shimano reel oils.
I use Oust, Xtreme REEL +, Reel X, ZPI, Diawa blue & red & TSI 301. My approach is to try everything twice lol. I have found that regardless of what I get as free spool times, it doesn’t IMO actually translate to longer casts, probably because I’m not a great or expert long distant caster, but I am having fun thinking I can be some day. :lol22:

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Been using bocas Lightning oil for over a year now and it has been great oil.. Lighter oil then hot sauce and lasts long enough in the bearings so you dont have to re oil every trip.. 8-)

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:48 pm

i did a search before this post and found that there are a lot of good oils out there. I wanted to stay with a daiwa product, and TW does not seem to carry any of the factory oils. I was wonder if the oil i got was good or if i should get something else. If its garbage i will use it for something else like guns or something.

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:15 pm

It's ok oil. I actually like the pink oil that comes with the steez reels. I can send you what I have left if you're interested. I've used hot sauce for years, and still love it. The lightning oil is also very good, it's just hard for me to stray from what has worked.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Very intresting. I have never herd of the "pink oil" Just got my first steez and its a rod, so i did not know they had a special oil for it. I would like to find an oil that last a little longer than the supper thin stuff. My casting skills do not demand the thinnest stuff out there. I was considering asking in a post how chainsaw bar oil works, but figure i may be banned for being a cave man :lol: .

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Yellow Rocket Fuel has worked for me this last year.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Finnz922 wrote:Yellow Rocket Fuel has worked for me this last year.

X 2 =D> =D> =D>

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:35 pm

I use Oust on all my reels. Its a thin oil and you have to relube a bit more often than usual but Its a non issue for me. :D

FillupD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by FillupD » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:32 pm

I see tsi-301 was mentioned above. I have started using tsi-321 on my orange seal bearings with a tiny amount of Daiwa red oil to quiet them down a little. I plan on going for a year and cleaning them up and reoiling when the snow flies. It has not been that long but it is an going to be an experiment more or less. Looks like tsi-321 and 301 has been really gaining in popularity and has a growing following. Some opinions are a abec7 SS bearing will resemble the characteristics of a ceramic hybrid when tsi is applied and protect and lube intervals are greatly exteneded.
I'm gullable, I'm giving it a try with the hybrid bearings.
I like the needle oiler you bought. It will make it easy to get the amount of oil desired to the right spot. I end up using a sewing needle and filling the eye with oil and letting the small amount drip in the bearing. Your way will be much easier.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Reeltor wrote:I use Oust on all my reels. Its a thin oil and you have to relube a bit more often than usual but Its a non issue for me. :D
X2. Oust Met Oil is good stuff

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 pm

lpquick wrote:It’s a multi purpose oil so it will work OK as a spool bearing lubricant. There are so many different oils out there for high speed bearings you can pick your poison. It seems the better the oil is for high speed the more often you need to re-apply it. I use oil in all my bait casting reels spool bearings, but then again I fish Inshore all the time and need the protection. If you search the topic you’ll find maybe a dozen or so recommended oils from TG Rocket fuel to stock Diawa & Shimano reel oils.
I use Oust, Xtreme REEL +, Reel X, ZPI, Diawa blue & red & TSI 301. My approach is to try everything twice lol. I have found that regardless of what I get as free spool times, it doesn’t IMO actually translate to longer casts, probably because I’m not a great or expert long distant caster, but I am having fun thinking I can be some day. :lol22:
how is that TSI 301 stuff for bearings and how do you use it? I'm assuming after you totally clean your bearings and let them dry, then you spray them with TSI 301. So, is it a one-time thing and you don't have to reapply it anymore or no?

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:10 am

TSI301 works on S.Steel Bearings only, it will not work on Ceramic bearings. On ABEC 7 S.Steel bearings TSI 301 will last in the bearing for Months !!!!!! clean the bearing first then dip it in TSI 301 and spin it till it drys. Stock bearings will come alive with TSI 301 !!!!!

On Ceramic bearings Oust Met oil works great but you will have to reoil the bearing after 2-3 days of hard casting.

FillupD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by FillupD » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 am

I have to agree tsi will not help the ceramic balls in bearings but it will protect the SS race and cage from corrosion.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:22 pm

RWSCHMITZ wrote:TSI301 works on S.Steel Bearings only, it will not work on Ceramic bearings. On ABEC 7 S.Steel bearings TSI 301 will last in the bearing for Months !!!!!! clean the bearing first then dip it in TSI 301 and spin it till it drys. Stock bearings will come alive with TSI 301 !!!!!

On Ceramic bearings Oust Met oil works great but you will have to reoil the bearing after 2-3 days of hard casting.
Cool. Thanks for the reply guys. So, for a chemical like TSI 301, when do you know that it's time to re-apply this stuff?