Bearings-grease and oil

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Bearings-grease and oil

Post by casterus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 am

Hi everyone
Just cleaned my 2 first reels (Steez 103). When I turn handle they are not as smooth as new.Looks like overgreased.I don't know why.I've cleaned bearings very well,put blue Daiwa grease with greaser to all bearings except spool (2).Can someone explain please which bearings should be grease,which oil.Thanx

Adam

Fishwhittler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Bearings-grease and oil

Post by Fishwhittler » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:37 am

Adam,

Opinions will differ on this, but I never grease any reel bearings. Grease is thicker and more difficult to remove from bearings, and if it gets contaminated with dirt it will be worse for the bearing long-term. The grease holds onto dirt more tenaciously than oil. I now use Oust Met-Öl speed oil for spool bearings and Abu Garcia silicon-based oil for internal bearings. The Abu Garcia oil is thicker and will smooth out the retrieve as well as lasting longer than thinner oil, and it is still easier to clean out than grease.

Ben

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 pm

casterus wrote:Hi everyone
Just cleaned my 2 first reels (Steez 103). When I turn handle they are not as smooth as new.Looks like overgreased.I don't know why.I've cleaned bearings very well,put blue Daiwa grease with greaser to all bearings except spool (2).Can someone explain please which bearings should be grease,which oil.Thanx

Adam
Adam there’s great info. about bearings & maintenance located here: http://tackletour.com/menumaintenance.html

casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by casterus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanx for help.

Adam