Lube

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
sandman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Lube

Post by sandman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:31 pm

Here's my take on the whole lube issue. I'll try to keep it concise but it can be a complicated subject.

Everything has a trade off. High spool speed requires a thinner lube which usually requires more frequent attention. There are faster lubes and there are lubes that have better corrosion resistance. In my experience, Yellow Rocket Fuel seems to reach a happy medium of high spool speed, less maintenance, and good corrosion resistance. Any good reel oil will work in a fishing reel. The Friction Zero is very fast and has pretty good cling for a very light oil. It is just difficult to get a can lately. I got mine from Ed at Specialty Tackle. The 'special oil' that Daiwa ships with their higher end reels is hard to beat. If you can't find ReelX, a lot of shops on the coast use the Red can of CorrosionX and they say that it's the same thing, just in an aerosol.

The keys to good bearing performance are starting with a squeaky clean bearing and don't flood the bearing with oil.

I do not like any lube on the levelwind worm gear. It tends to collect dust and grit which will eventually destroy the pawl and the bearings/bushings at either end of the levelwind worm gear. I put a drop at each end and work it into the bearing and bushing.

Grease for gears. I haven't found a bad one (except for Vaseline LOL). I prefer a waterproof synthetic grease with good cling. My favorites are Penn Muscle Grease and X1R Reel Grease. Folks that service a lot more reels than I do like the SuperLube and Hot Sauce Grease. Just don't use too much grease and you'll be OK. A little is all that it takes and it should last all season.

For cleaning, I like using a toothbrush and Simple Green cut to 50/50 with hot water. If you are doing a lot of reels and parts, an Ultrasonic is great. WD40 is also a good cleaner but I do not use it for a lube.

Here is a table that we assembled combining viscosity and corrosion resistance and assigned a 'ranking of sorts. You may not be concerned with corrosion protection but want high speed. If so, pick one with the higher speed rating.

If you want more than you would care to read on lubes, check out the Rods/Reels page on the BFHP and enter 'lube' or 'corrosion' in the search box.
Attachments
luberanking.jpg
luberanking.jpg (96.54 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
Last edited by sandman on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:34 pm

who is this guy? =))))

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:00 pm

Daiwa also recommends a drop of oil at each end of the spool after each trip for the TD Z and X Air Metal series.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:23 pm

sandman ... good to see you posting !

sandman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by sandman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 pm

These 16 hr days and 100K + air miles this year are really cutting into my fishing time and i-net viewing. Thank goodness I finally got a couple of engineers hired in China! Things may settle down a little around here.

That Daiwa 'special oil' (synthetic by the way) that they ship with the Zs and Airmetals is thin but I get several trips in before I need to add any.

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:36 pm

Mo Bass Fish'n wrote:Rojo,

I'm not sure what or how Connie fishes, but she cleans and lubricates reels as part of her business.
Mo and Mhood,

Thanks for the advise!

I'll seek Connie's input ASAP!

Thanks again.

RojoKayako

Wildcard
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Wildcard » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:59 pm

Kinda resurecting a dead post here....

I saw several mentions of the worm gear.... what is that?

Mo Bass Fish'n
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mo Bass Fish'n » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:18 pm

The worm gear is what drives the level wind in the front of your reel and carries the line guide back and forth.

Wildcard
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Wildcard » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:36 pm

That's what I thought but wasn't sure.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:28 am

Here is a good topic that has some interesting charts.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

robass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robass » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:10 am

HEY KBT

wheres the topic?????

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:12 am

If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

LordRiper
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LordRiper » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:13 pm

i can't see the table attached by sandman... somebody can help me pls???
-- Salim Giacoman --
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"