Will this drag star fit a CH 51MG?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Will this drag star fit a CH 51MG?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:43 am

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/386

It's not listed on the fit list. Thanks fellas!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Will this drag star fit a CH 51MG?

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:18 am

If you're talking about the older MG50's, their drag star is plastic. I broke a finger off one of mine, and Shimano had replacements.
That was shortly after they stopped production of that reel ( :crying: :crying: :crying: ), so they may no longer have them available, but I think it is probably worth a phone call. I got replacement parts for 30 year old Daiwa spinning reel from Daiwa.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 am

mark poulson wrote:If you're talking about the older MG50's, their drag star is plastic. I broke a finger off one of mine, and Shimano had replacements.
That was shortly after they stopped production of that reel ( :crying: :crying: :crying: ), so they may no longer have them available, but I think it is probably worth a phone call. I got replacement parts for 30 year old Daiwa spinning reel from Daiwa.
I'm not looking to repair as much as replace. I take it you're a fan of the MGs too?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:34 am

Shimano had a replacement drag star. I could have still used the one with the broken finger, but it always seemed that the broken finger spot was right where I wanted to adjust the drag. Annoying. If they hadn't been able to replace it, I'd still be fishing with the broken finger drag star.

Yes, I have five, and I love them. Since I bought them in 2005, I've done all the lube myself, and never had them serviced. They are great for 6lb and 8lb test.
The day Shimano discontinued them, and came out with the Core MG, at another $100+, was a dark day for all of us.
I'm going to send them all in to a local Shimano guy this month to be serviced. It's about time, especially since they are a low bearing reel.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 am

Big fan also. Surprised to see the CH50MG not listed as being a candidate for the star. You would think that it would. But again, as stated, email to be sure.

Plat carries Hedgehog, and he is very quick to respond.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 am

USA-RET wrote:Big fan also. Surprised to see the CH50MG not listed as being a candidate for the star. You would think that it would. But again, as stated, email to be sure.

Plat carries Hedgehog, and he is very quick to respond.
It's not Hedehog, it is Avail. I'm with you. I would assume it will fit. Thanks for the information. I can't possibly be the only person thinking of pimping out my CH MG??

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:40 am