Tatula FYI

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tatula FYI

Post by cjtoad » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 am

My Tatula showed up today, couldn't wait to get home and take it apart. First off there's no spool bearing just a pinion bearing which looks like the standard 8x12x3.5, didn't pull it so I can't confirm that but it looks like that size to me. The bearing on the non-handle side is a 3x10x4 and the bearing under the casting control knob is a 3x8x4. I was quickly able to replace the four bushings in the reel, two on the level wind with two 4x7x2.5 and one each under the handle knobs with two 4x7x2.5. All you need to bring the Tatula up to 11 bearings is 4 4x7x2.5 bearings and 30 minutes.
Reel looks great and is super smooth, can't wait to fish with it this weekend.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula FYI

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:34 am

Great info ! =D>

Thanks for sharing !!

Now if I can remeber where to find this when I need it ... ](*,)

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Good stuff to know. I was too antsy to get out and toss mine to take it apart. I'll probably take a closer look when I get some time this weekend.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:49 am

cjtoad wrote:My Tatula showed up today, couldn't wait to get home and take it apart.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously, good info...thanks!

Freespoolit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freespoolit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:47 am

Can someone direct me to where I can learn to add bearings to the worm gear? I've worked on my own reels before but it was never obvious to me where the bearing would go on the worm gear.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:52 am

I'm assuming it goes in place of the plastic bushings. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:04 am

igl00jx wrote:I'm assuming it goes in place of the plastic bushings. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
yup...look at the TT picture

Freespoolit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freespoolit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:08 am

oh..ok so as a general rule for all reels: no bushing no upgrade?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Freespoolit wrote:oh..ok so as a general rule for all reels: no bushing no upgrade?
You can also upgrade to better quality bearings.

Anything corrosion resistant.
Boca Orange Seals
ZPI
Air Bearings
Etc

DaveJ

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:44 pm

cjtoad wrote:My Tatula showed up today, couldn't wait to get home and take it apart. First off there's no spool bearing just a pinion bearing which looks like the standard 8x12x3.5, didn't pull it so I can't confirm that but it looks like that size to me. The bearing on the non-handle side is a 3x10x4 and the bearing under the casting control knob is a 3x8x4. I was quickly able to replace the four bushings in the reel, two on the level wind with two 4x7x2.5 and one each under the handle knobs with two 4x7x2.5. All you need to bring the Tatula up to 11 bearings is 4 4x7x2.5 bearings and 30 minutes.
on the schematic, it looks like you have to take the handle-side side plate off to change the bearing under the tension cap; is this the case?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:
cjtoad wrote:My Tatula showed up today, couldn't wait to get home and take it apart. First off there's no spool bearing just a pinion bearing which looks like the standard 8x12x3.5, didn't pull it so I can't confirm that but it looks like that size to me. The bearing on the non-handle side is a 3x10x4 and the bearing under the casting control knob is a 3x8x4. I was quickly able to replace the four bushings in the reel, two on the level wind with two 4x7x2.5 and one each under the handle knobs with two 4x7x2.5. All you need to bring the Tatula up to 11 bearings is 4 4x7x2.5 bearings and 30 minutes.
on the schematic, it looks like you have to take the handle-side side plate off to change the bearing under the tension cap; is this the case?
This is the case, unfortunately. It doesn't work on a spring system like Shimano.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:25 am

thanks for the info tywithay. this is interesting, yet strange....daiwa has done that before on some older models.

also, i find the cam system and gears in this reel to be interesting. the cam system is quite a lot like shimano reels(as are the pluton/ryoga, t3, and z2020/200 platforms). the pinion gear is very much unlike any newer daiwa reels in that there is no upper pinion bearing...very odd

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 am

e_bassfisher wrote:thanks for the info tywithay. this is interesting, yet strange....daiwa has done that before on some older models.

also, i find the cam system and gears in this reel to be interesting. the cam system is quite a lot like shimano reels(as are the pluton/ryoga, t3, and z2020/200 platforms). the pinion gear is very much unlike any newer daiwa reels in that there is no upper pinion bearing...very odd
The whole system looks very similar to say, a Chronarch 200E; nearly identical. From the bearing in the side plate, to the long shaft running through the pinion into the cast control bearing...it's just really similar. Only difference being that you have to remove the side plate to get to the bearing.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:14 am

i've been hearing that the tatula is performing well out of it's price range....but i must say that i find it disappointing that the pinion is spool shaft supported, and not the modern daiwa 'floating' spool system....daiwa really pushed the whole 'air rotation thing, and then makes a pinion gear that rides on the spool shaft, rather than being supported by 2 ball bearings, and kept in alignment via a pinion shaft, as seen in the 'floating' spool system.

but still, it really sounds like it is gonna be a tough reel to beat at $150....

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:36 am

Much better wouldn't you say?

It confirmed the pinion bearing is a 8x12x3.5.

I upgraded the two spool bearing and the pinion bearing out to Boca Ceramic Lightnings, it's crazy smooth now. The handle must spin twenty time on it's own when given a quick crank.