Do you break your reels down ...

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Do you break your reels down ...

Post by uljersey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:06 pm

... new, right out of the box for a clean and lube to your liking ? Just curious.

I do it to all of mine. Technically I'm probably voiding the warranty, but it's a chance I'm willing to take. I've never sent a reel back for warranty in over 35 years of fishing, but have sent back defective ones and traded up.

All of mine get a full breakdown, tune and drag washer lap and polish. How about you ?

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Do you break your reels down ...

Post by beezy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 pm

I do the same as you. I am in the middle of experimenting on what lubricants work best. I've been on alan tani's website and took his suggestion about using Yamaha marine grade grease for my reels that will be used in saltwater and even swimbaits. My other reels get Inox grease as it has a nice consistency and isn't tacky. Seems to work great for me. For spool bearings, I've used yellow rocket fuel, shimano oil, daiwa red oil, speedX and found I really like the daiwa red oil and speedx for all of my spool bearings. I use grease and reelX for all non-spool bearings. So far everything has held up quite well.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:26 pm

uljersey wrote:... new, right out of the box for a clean and lube to your liking ? Just curious.
if i know the reel has grease packed spool bearings, i'll flush the spool bearings clean and relube with an application specific lube.

beyond that, if a new reel has SS bearings supporting the pinion gear or drive shaft AND it will be used mainly in saltwater, i will replace those bearings with either a bushing or corrosion resistant bearing before using the reel.

i try to minimize changes to stock config as i like to baseline a reel's out of box performance, so as i implement tuneups and upgrades over time i get a better sense of how much a difference they made from stock...

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Usually only to check the spool bearings. Clean or lube as necessary. Otherwise I fish it stock out of the box.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Every reel. Just got a new Smak 100H yesterday and it had almost no gease in it. Daiwa usaully goes completely overboard or puts nothing in their new reels. To me they all need a little attenion straight out of the box.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:00 am

cjtoad wrote:Every reel. Just got a new Smak 100H yesterday and it had almost no gease in it. Daiwa usaully goes completely overboard or puts nothing in their new reels. To me they all need a little attenion straight out of the box.
Funny you mentioned that. I just broke down a brand new SS Tournament 700 that barely had any grease at all. Usually new reels look like there's a grease fitting in the side plate and they pump it in with a grease gun. First one I've opened where there was virtually nothing there.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 am

Yep, I pull all my reels down when new and clean/lube them. Everything from my Calais DC's and Steez's down to my Revo SX, they all get the same treatment..

Ghoti
Angler
Angler

Post by Ghoti » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 am

Spool it up and ride it like you stole it for the first couple of outings. If there are any defects or problems that would require replacement, they will show up. If all is good, I tear mine all the way down for a deep clean and proper lube.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:19 am

Right out of the box I will usually use it for one or two outings. I like to feel how the reel performs before doing my usual upgrades such as bearings, drag washers and a custom handle. This also protects the warranty should I have an issue before breaking it down.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:53 am

lpquick wrote:Right out of the box I will usually use it for one or two outings. I like to feel how the reel performs before doing my usual upgrades such as bearings, drag washers and a custom handle. This also protects the warranty should I have an issue before breaking it down.
X2

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:37 pm

badbuffalo wrote:
lpquick wrote:Right out of the box I will usually use it for one or two outings. I like to feel how the reel performs before doing my usual upgrades such as bearings, drag washers and a custom handle. This also protects the warranty should I have an issue before breaking it down.
X2
x3 but if it is in the winter and I am really bored with a new reel I will take it apart for fun

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:43 pm

I break down all my reels when I get them, except my steez (too scared of messing it up!). I just got a Citica 201G6. Felt rough out of the box and would only freespool for about 5 seconds. Opened it up and was surprised to see almost no grease on the gears. I installed a driveshaft bearing, greased with SuperLube, and oiled the spool bearings with Ardent oil (the oil is good but the grease sucks) and now the reel rocks!! Oh yeah, I also removed the A/R pawl. Sometimes I just loosen its grip, but this time I removed it. I don't use heavy line, so it should be ok.