Bearing flushing questions

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bearing flushing questions

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:59 pm

I have researched this subject but I haven't really found much that I feel is accurate information. I definitely want to flush the bearings out on both my vintage 93 shimano Sustain and Shimano Calcutta TE GT. The reason for this is I am guilty of mixing lubricants in the past. I've heard people talk about using everything from lighter fluid to brake fluid. My biggest concern would be doing damage to the bearings, especially on the Calcutta TE. The TE has 11 bearings and most are the Anti-rust bearings. Give me some recommendations if you have done this successfully....Thanks
Last edited by Markanthony404 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bearing flushing questions

Post by lpquick » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:43 am

Safest solution to use that works is Simply Green & water, won’t hurt plastic parts.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:45 am

i use acetone. the type you get in a hardware store, not nail polish remover!

edit: if you start with soap/degreaser solution(like simple green and water), that is ok....but i would definitely follow up with a solvent so that you remove all residue that can be left by soap and/or water

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:59 am

Markanthony404 wrote:I have researched this subject but I haven't really found much that I feel is accurate information. I definitely want to flush the bearings out on both my Shimano Sustain and Shimano Calcutta TE GT. The reason for this is I am guilty of mixing lubricants in the past. I've heard people talk about using everything from lighter fluid to brake fluid. My biggest concern would be doing damage to the bearings, especially on the Calcutta TE. The TE has 11 bearings and most are the Anti-rust bearings. Give me some recommendations if you have done this successfully....Thanks
i use brake cleaner or acetone....

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 am

I use brake cleaner or carb cleaner and then acetone to remove any residue on ARBs

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 am

I use lighter fluid.
I don't think what you use is as important as using an ultrasonic cleaner.
The vibration is what really gets the gunk out of the bearings.
There is normally a color change in the cleaning solution after running thru a good ultrasonic cleaner.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:53 am

lpquick wrote:Safest solution to use that works is Simply Green & water, won’t hurt plastic parts.

Are you sure that's safe? I don't know if I feel comfortable using water on those bearings

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:54 am

mrpao wrote:I use lighter fluid.
I don't think what you use is as important as using an ultrasonic cleaner.
The vibration is what really gets the gunk out of the bearings.
There is normally a color change in the cleaning solution after running thru a good ultrasonic cleaner.
The ultrasonic cleaner sounds like a pain in the ass.. I'll probably end up just using acetone but how long should I soak them?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:57 am

With shielded bearings an ultrasonic is the way to go. I only buy the shieldless bearings now for ease of cleaning. Blasting them with brake/carb cleaner to get them spinning works quite well without the need to buy an ultrasonic.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:With shielded bearings an ultrasonic is the way to go. I only buy the shieldless bearings now for ease of cleaning. Blasting them with brake/carb cleaner to get them spinning works quite well without the need to buy an ultrasonic.
What kind of an ultrasonic cleaner & how much does it cost? The sustain has three bearings that are shielded, I believe the rest of them are unshielded. The calcutta most of the bearings are unshielded so I might not need it.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:25 am

I have a 1L Eumax and I believe it cost me around $150 on EBay. I used to use it all the time but not much anymore, don't have the need. It is handy though when needed. A cheaper/smaller model is all you would need for bearings though. Another option would be to remove the shields.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:36 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:I have a 1L Eumax and I believe it cost me around $150 on EBay. I used to use it all the time but not much anymore, don't have the need. It is handy though when needed. A cheaper/smaller model is all you would need for bearings though. Another option would be to remove the shields.
Yeah definitely not worth it, i'd be better off just to buy new bearings. What kind of a tool should I use to remove the shields?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:18 am

The shields on Shimano bearings are usually pressed in shields making them difficult to remove. I use a small pick and try to pick out the shield against the inner race. You have to dent the shield inward first to make an edge to pick on.I have messed up a few bearings in the past but not many, it can happen though if you punch the shield to far in making contact with the cage. If they have shield retainers use a small sharp hook to catch the edge of the retainer and pop it out. I wouldnt want you to trash your bearings by accident so I would try blasting them with brake cleaner first and see if that helps or try a little soak and shake in a jar, especially for the spinner as it wont effect casting distance if there is anything still in them when done.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24 am

I use Naptha. Very good and leaves no residue. I mount my bearings on a spindle and use my Dremal tool to spin them at high speed in a small jar of Naptha. Fast and clean.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:33 pm

DougL58 wrote:I use Naptha. Very good and leaves no residue. I mount my bearings on a spindle and use my Dremal tool to spin them at high speed in a small jar of Naptha. Fast and clean.
+1 for this suggestion. Works a treat and you can also use acetone too.